Rapidly Spiralling Down

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppydolphin

Reaction score
I'm finding Christmas Eve horrendously difficult ... each year the Christmas period feels worse. All around is reminders of how alone I am. I have no family. I'm 48, female and all of my friends have family - children, partners, parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles. I don't have a single one of those. I'm not capable of meeting a partner due to experiences in my past. The future scares me so much. I try so hard to live only for the moment and not think ahead too much ... but it's hard when all around me are reminders of what I haven't got. I don't even have a job to throw myself into at the moment. I feel so empty. I've been ill over the past few days and it's now also unlikely that I'll be able to spend time with the friends I was going to see tomorrow as I don't want to pass my germs on to them. I feel so totally overwhelmed and don't know what to do ... there is nothing I can change in this.

I'm not expecting anyone to have a solution to this and I know that "family" isn't always a bed of roses .. I just needed to share. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you're having a lovely Christmas Eve yourselves.

xx

Poppydolphin said:
I'm finding Christmas Eve horrendously difficult ... each year the Christmas period feels worse. All around is reminders of how alone I am. I have no family. I'm 48, female and all of my friends have family - children, partners, parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles. I don't have a single one of those. I'm not capable of meeting a partner due to experiences in my past. The future scares me so much. I try so hard to live only for the moment and not think ahead too much ... but it's hard when all around me are reminders of what I haven't got. I don't even have a job to throw myself into at the moment. I feel so empty. I've been ill over the past few days and it's now also unlikely that I'll be able to spend time with the friends I was going to see tomorrow as I don't want to pass my germs on to them. I feel so totally overwhelmed and don't know what to do ... there is nothing I can change in this.

I'm not expecting anyone to have a solution to this and I know that "family" isn't always a bed of roses .. I just needed to share. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you're having a lovely Christmas Eve yourselves.

xx

t298706832_99788_4.gif

Poppydolphin said:

xx

I know what you mean and I understand. Christmas is the worst time for people who are / feel lonely.

At least in a weeks time it will be over and back to normal !

Poppydolphin said:

xx

You could always wear one of those medical masks, if your not comfortable doing that....I will be here if you wanna chat. All day too!

People don't realize just how terrifying the future is when you have no kin. Do you have any pets? I was thinking about getting a puppy, maybe a Australian Greyhound.

Poppydolphin said:

xx

Dear Poppydolphin, I hope you get better soon - it sucks to be sick during the holidays, god knows the whole period is enough of a trial. It's still kind of nice that you had friends to meet during holidays, some people don't have even that. I know completely well what you mean, just turned 40 myself, with just an old mother who was half estranged until some years ago and another couple of also aging relatives with very little in common with myself, no close friends and no hope for a partner either (and also with the flu at the moment :) .
You sound like an affectionate person, I hope that you find a way to get more affection in your life, aside from these **** holidays. Life is hard for those who aren't blessed with a decent family.
take care, the flu will be a memory next week
ps in case you want to chat, send a pm :)

Hi,
I'm sorry you're feeling down :(
I'm not sure why but Christmas seems to get harder for me every year too. Maybe it's the realization that I'll never have a storybook Christmas no matter how hard I try.
:(
I'm trying some new traditions this year and that has helped a little. Maybe you can too, it's not too late to try something in the next few days.
I'm taking my kiddo to a Sound of Music singalong on the 26th at a local art museum. Has nothing to do with Christmas but it's something to look forward to...
Hopefully you'll feel better after Christmas passes :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back