Now that 2013 has come to a close, how was the year for you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinderleaf

Reaction score
See title. I'll start. 2013 for me wasn't exactly a great year as I didn't do as well as I'd like in Uni/College having failed 2 subjects below expectations. Not to mention, getting lazy in between the rest of the subjects I studied this year and not getting the right results I expected, just scraping by with passes really. Furthermore, driving's still been an issue as I've yet to get my license yet unlike my peers who got their's earlier.

Otherwise, the rest of the year has been fairly positive for me from joining a sports club, making some new friends to getting fit at the gym as well as getting positive comments about my productivity at work. If anything else, I just want to be a bit more proactive, organised and independent with my life and 2013 was a bit of a mixed bag to say least. Well, bring on 2014 I suppose.

My year has been good in many ways. I made a diary post about it, to give it a proper close at an appropiate place.

I started going back to school after a three year vacation. I would actually be finishing my Masters. I ended up switching my major from sports medicine to psychology. This part of my life gave me something to look forward to. I have a 3.88 GPA, President's List Honors twice and one Dean's List Honor. I was inducted in the The International Honor Society in Psychology-Psi Chi.

Mid year, contract switched and loss have of my annual pay. This is not good as I was making $55K annually. My job is stagnant and the money was keeping me around. I let my physical appearance go to the side with not taking care of myself like I am used to.

2014 will be filled with more academic excellence, employment that will challenge my mind, and getting back into shape by this coming summer.

It has been rough for me.. health-wise, work-wise.. but towards the end it was amazing because I met awesome people in my life, I know now who my real friends are. I hope 2014 will be a better year for myself and everyone else here. Best wishes to all.

Started the year still laid off, found out my boss had cancer, didn't go back to work until late April, a lot later than it should have been. Business was poor, boss was going to auction things off, no one really told me what was going on. Two days before my birthday on a Friday the 13th auctioneers showed up telling me they were told everything was being sold and asked when I was closing. News to me. I'm still not told anything. My boss ends up sick and back in the hospital after beating the cancer. He becomes septic and doesn't make it, he passes away. A few weeks later I'm given notice (at no fault of the families, they weren't the ones who were supposed to tell me what was going on). I get shipped back to the office having to move back to my moms after living on my own for 8 years, and do 7 years work of year ends for the business because no one was doing it. Now I'm unemployed once again. :/

I have enjoyed 2013. Started travelling taking my photo's. Went to places I haven't been for 20 years. Stood on a beach for the first time since I was a teenager. Golf game was good, work okay, nothing much romantic but that doesn't bother me much. It was the year when I realized I had to go places by myself if I wanted to go anywhere.

Hmm lets see. It started out me feeling pretty much lost as I had for the previous 3 years, but I wanted the to start being different. I had no idea what to do, but I took every oppurtunity that came my way. I ended up going on some work self improvement courses in the Spring, and these started to give me more confidence. I have also just completed a confidence and self esteem course that I believe has changed my life, I know there will be bad days still, but not as bad.

The one thing I realised was that I wanted to really make friends. There has been two Mums at school who have been great acqauintances and were always consistently friendly, anyway I took the plunge and invited them and their families to a bbq and I have never looked back. These two women and their partners I know would do anything to help me and they have. It took a lot of courage to let them in, but so glad I did :). Finding this place has been awesome I feel I have some lovely friends, some I hope to meet :p and hope we will be in touch for a long time. You where all here for me at some of the worst points of my year, thank you.

I think as well I have finally put 10 years of abuse behind me and that has left me feeling so much lighter.

The worst part of my year was losing my Mum. I am crying writing this, just because today has been hard thinking about her. She had heart and kidney failure and was ill for a long time. She took a turn for the worse at the beginning of October and it was hell watching her struggle :(. I lost her on 25th October and put her to rest on the 1st November in the most beautiful send off. I miss her so much it hurts to breath at times, but life goes on and I believe she sent me a new friend.

When my Mum took a turn for the worst, someone I was just starting to get to know as a new friend, was really there for me, this friend became very quickly one of my best friends. He came to my Mums funeral and I will always be in his debt for his hugs that day. He took me very much by surprise and I have fallen head over heels in love with him.

So all in all a lot of positives. Some sadness. Some wonderful moments.

2013- good and bad.
Good: more quiet and efficient at work.
Bad: more problems and new health issues.
Overall I`d say it was a bad year from the point of view of the frequency of bad events. But then again, that wouldn`t be fair when I think of the quality of positive aspects and progress. Hm. I don`t know. I accomplished most of the resolutions for 2013, in spite of the hard and shaking unexpected occurences.
I`d conclude that I`m grateful for everything and appreciate 2013 as a whole.

makeitso.png

Overall, this has been a pretty bad year for me.

The good things:
I helped rescue a dog, Ninna.
I'm a godfather, since my little cousin had a boy and she asked me to.
I finally have my professional engineer (PE) license, after waiting for having 4 years of experience my country required.
The vacations I had where I went to Washington DC, Montreal and Quebec.

Bad things:
Stressful year at work, although at least I survived the layoff's (40% of the employees were fired).
Still alone and no luck with women.
Due to the feeling of loneliness and the stress, I've let myself go and have gained some weight. Definitely need to act on this.

*hugs* to all feeling negatively here.. made me kinda sad reading the sad things that happened for you.

GraceBlossom said:
The worst part of my year was losing my Mum. I am crying writing this, just because today has been hard thinking about her. She had heart and kidney failure and was ill for a long time. She took a turn for the worse at the beginning of October and it was hell watching her struggle :(. I lost her on 25th October and put her to rest on the 1st November in the most beautiful send off. I miss her so much it hurts to breath at times, but life goes on and I believe she sent me a new friend.

*bighugs* You're such a strong, inspirational woman.

Sigma said:
The best year of my life, though only for it's final 2 months.

Kinda like mine too. ;) <3

Something going on here Ladyforsaken? Lol.

Now that 2013 IS over, I can tell you all that it was a great year. I got a stable job in February, right before my Birthday, had a Girlfriend over the summer, built up savings so I am no longer broke, spent time with an amazing friend, got a passport, mobile contract and some other small things which mean more to me as they are 'Firsts' in my broken old family :p

With any luck, 2014 will be as eventful as 2013, in a good way of course.

It's been swinging, it's felt like.

In one way it's been a stupid year, with many cases of mild bad luck. And crappy situations that I just needed to patiently wait for to pass. I feel as if life has been exploiting my weaknesses.. but maybe it's just me and my mind.

On the other hand it's been a year of personal progress, I felt I've developed and grown. Also, when my moods have been good, they've sometimes been better than I can remember. Nothing seriously negative has happened me or those I'm related to either.

I hope everyone here has a great 2014. :)

Latest posts

Back