38 year old woman dies, no one finds her three years later

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This why a retirement home is good because you have people to watch after them but sometimes elderly people feel that you are exiling them. That is why we should push for more senior housing complexes because it doesn't put them in a cage but gives them the best of both worlds, protection and attention they need.

the smell was attributed to the garbage outside. A lot of bizarre things happen to this mad world we live in. Even when someone get's hit by a car in the middle of a crowded city, it'll take awhile for someone to call an ambulance since everyone would expect someone has already called. Although unconnected, I think stories like this could happen. It's really sad but cos we live in a busy world, everyone is busy to care, it seems.

reminds me of a saying we have here, ''maraming namamatay sa akala'' (a lot have died because of 'I thought') Like her friends have said, they thought she had gone somewhere to live a happier life then theirs.

I sometimes wonder who would attend my funeral?

If it would be packed, or if my friends would have a party to go to that night? The thought depresses me.

I'm guessing something like this would be in store for me at the end of my road, if I don't execute my plan of embarking out into the world before my end comes. I'd hate to think people realizing I'm gone only after I've failed to reply to any inquiries about why I haven't paid the bills in the last three months, or that someone caught a whiff of my carcass and called the cops. :(

I suspect only three people would attend my funeral, if I was to die today. My mother, daughter, and one friend. My father and best friend wouldn't be able to travel here for it. Nobody else would even be notified. I'm not even sure my best friend would be notified, as our communication has become sporadic over the years.

I found an article here about it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0109/1224310001846.html

Morley, the woman who created the film, talks about how we need to reach out and share what is really happening behind the facade of our lives. I agree with that, to have a happy normal life you need people to trust. But sometimes we may not know who to trust or how to share or who to share with.

I shared something deep with an aunt of mine. It wasn't a huge deal but I could not believe it, she totally abandoned me afterwards. I never anticipated that. And this is why people are so wary of sharing. They dont' want these things to happen.

Also with the stories of the other older ladies found dead after years. All of them were loners. I am a loner but I like to be social and have some connections. I never thought being a loner is bad but seriously, after reading that, I wonder if being a loner kills!

that is SO horrible, but things like that are more likely to happen in London, or New York, people just fall in the cracks, what a sick society we live in

I don't think it will happen to much in NY unless someone was using the apartment after they found out the person was dead. Landlords want their money on time and they will come to collect.

Happened to a guy in Wisconsin. Read about it a few days ago.

He told his friends and family he was moving to another state, he actually committed suicide. They found him 4 years later. Everyone thought he was in another state alive and well.

This is so sad, but typical of big cities these days. Its as though everyone is so busy trying to survive themselves, working and feeding their own family that they forget about the people around them :(

Anten said:
.... they will come to collect.

I imagine there are countless people that could disappear without anyone bothering to check on them but i don't see how you go years without someone coming to collect money for bills or taxes that aren't being paid.

Anten said:
I don't think it will happen to much in NY unless someone was using the apartment after they found out the person was dead. Landlords want their money on time and they will come to collect.

I agree with you, I doubt anything like this would happen in New York. I worked with a guy who grew up in New York and he has said the same thing. NY landlords will always want their money on time. Some landlords might be ok with not getting rent for a couple of months, but eventually they would show up looking for their money.

Wow. Watching the trailer made me cry. I thought this was a fictional movie. Knowing that it's a true story makes its so much more touching.

This has been one of my fears actually. I wonder if anyone would miss me...and if so how long it would take. I've thought about it many times before, but I have this uneasy feeling that something similar would happen to me. The only people who ever try to check up on my are my parents...but that's only if I haven't called them for weeks. Since I'm still a student...maybe professors or classmates would notice. But, I do tend to keep to myself...and no one..not even my housemates would suspect a thing if they don't see me for awhile. In fact, I think people would be angry rather than worried and accuse me of being selfish and unthoughtful. Is it crazy that I'd like to see the looks on their faces when they realize that it was cuz my soul left the world?

I just read about him. The article came right up. Died so young...a bit younger than I am not (45). He must have felt so alone and gave up, poor guy. No parents, no siblings, no daughter. : ( The pain must have been horrible and he just decided he wanted out.

I truly wish all the lonely people on the planet find peace. I also wish all the animals to not suffer as they at the hands of humans. These are a couple of wishes I pray for.

Poor, poor guy.

Ak5 said:
Happened to a guy in Wisconsin. Read about it a few days ago.

He told his friends and family he was moving to another state, he actually committed suicide. They found him 4 years later. Everyone thought he was in another state alive and well.

thalassa said:
I read an article in a local magazine about people here (also young-ish ones) who died without anyone noticing and who wouldn't have had anyone who would turn up to their funeral. So this little organization was started where poets attended their funerals so the event wasn't quite so depressing. They tried to get a picture of the person and formed personal poems. I liked this initiative a lot.

Oftentimes I've felt like I could disappear from the face of the Earth and no one would notice.

It is such a sad fact, and to think of all the extremely lonely people out there. Too bad I can't get together with them and play board games or philosophize or whatnot. What a sad society this is sometimes...

I also like this initiative-for someone unnoticed in life, at least their death is being treated with some respect.
Like you, I feel that I could also disappear and noone would notice.
Sometimes I wonder how many people I pass on the street each day feel the same way .

I'm the baby of my family too. Are the "babies" or only children more likely to be lonely? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I felt so sad when I read about the Christmas presents she had bought for people. Why did none of them check up on her when they hadn't seen her for a while? She must have been close to them, at least to an extent, if she had bought presents for them.

It definitely is sad, and food for thought. I wish everyone had someone who cared for them, enough to check up on them.

Latest posts

Back