Alcohol problems

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy problems, alcohol is the only thing that makes my day bearable. I drink non-stop all day, about 1/2 bottle of vodka a day, been doing it for years. I know its affecting my health but living alone all the time, no friends, no family, just work then home, there is a lot of emptiness compounded with depression and anxiety/panic attacks, its the only thing that provides relief. My life is sad and I know it, pretty much no one looking out for me, telling me to stop drinking and the doctors I see are pretty useless. Alcohol is not a solution, it just creates more problems, but I can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

What about benzos? I was on them for a while. Booze in a pill. Won't show up in a breathalyser. Might be easier on your liver?

Benzos are like narcotics where I am. I went to the clinic where my doctor is at, but he is on extended leave of absence, so I wanted to see another doctor at the clinic about my depression/anxiety, since I was left in the cold with no prescription renewal. No doctor would see me for the prescription for anxiety medication. They treated me like I was a Heroin addict. Called around to other clinics and seem to be a common thing, they wouldn't prescribe 'benzos' or other anxiety medications. Can't even get an appointment to talk about my anxiety/depression concerns and I abruptly stopped my previous meds, since my prescription ran out. So screw them all, alcohol it is, at least no prescription is required and dulls the pain of my sorry little life. But the only person who is going to miss my liver is me, so death by alcohol is no worse than death by heart disease or cancer, or any of the many reasons people die every day.

I usually have 6-8 shots of whiskey after work at whichever bar tickles my fancy for the night.

Fridays it's all out alcohol warfare.

If I'm not mistaken benzo's and barbs can lead to "accidental" death from overdose.

Yeah, that's the little thing about benzos. You do have to be under the care of a psychiatrist, and a good psychiatrist won't give you a prescription unless you're receiving counseling from a therapist.

Over all, with what the insurance covered and the fact that the benzos cost me $5 a bottle (actual cost), it was still cheaper than booze; and I got some counseling to boot.

Its hard because I have become so reclusive, plus fears and insecurities just make everything worse. Of course not talking to anyone in a meaningful way makes the situation so much worse, since this horrid pressure occurs that you desperately want to have meaningful relationships but this desperation comes across to the other person and it just never seems to work out. Don't mean to hijack this post, the topic was about drinking and how much, probably because drinking is so easy to do, no prescription, easy access, and makes life seem better for a small period of time. Most men I have known in my life have used alcohol to smooth the edges of their life. Would be interesting to see what others have to say about it.

alonewanderer said:
Mary Mary said:
alonewanderer said:
Try drinking at bars, bartenders are free therapy with great prescriptions.

Free? Really?

You trying to tell me you pay them to counsel you?

Do they give you the drinks for free?

I haven't been on a prescription medication since 2007. It was easy to quit at that point because the mental health professionals got me to the point where I didn't need them any more.

Obviously you've never talked to a bartender before.

Go ask one how many therapy sessions they give out in a shift.

If you are a friendly person you'll eventually get freebies.

Counselors are tricky, not all are good, in fact all the ones I have seen haven't been that great and most are short lived, moving to new practices, or what not. I have found it hard to have a steady counselor for more than a few months, so with frustration, I gave up on that approach. Bar tenders do make good counselors, especially if you tip well.

unspokenlove said:
Bar tenders do make good counselors, especially if you tip well.

Well you can just give them a friendly first impression, a lot of patrons usually get rude after sometime but if they remember you as " nice" then it makes opening up easier.

Even a dollar is considered decent for a tip, some people just leave change or nothing.

Latest posts

Back