ALL Book Club: March '12

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask me Monday, if I'm still not done then I revoke my right to call myself a reader :)

SophiaGrace said:
Lonely in BC said:
Sorry to spoil it for you folks- the butler did it :p

(UN) you gonna join us?!

Of course. I left my copy in the haul truck the other night so I'll likely Kindle one this afternoon so I can finish it.

Are we meeting at yours for tea and scones to discuss S.G.?

Lonely in BC said:
SophiaGrace said:
Lonely in BC said:
Sorry to spoil it for you folks- the butler did it :p

(UN) you gonna join us?!

Of course. I left my copy in the haul truck the other night so I'll likely Kindle one this afternoon so I can finish it.

Are we meeting at yours for tea and scones to discuss S.G.?

Oh good.

And yes, we are meeting for tea and scones, possibly in the chatroom. ;)

I am going to throw A Game of Thrones by George rr Martin into the pot of selections for april.

I must begin by saying that I liked the novel. It was very interesting and funny to read. Even if there is no plot, the small stories about all the people were very catchy. I was a bit bothered by the lack of dialogue tho. I should add that the narrator focused in Death (suicide) and parties for his novel It may have been boring if he didnt using these themes as well as he did.

Now to the characters. The novalist put an atmosphere were all sort of people coexist. insane poeple, smart ones, greedy ones etc. What was interesting is that they seemed to live in a sort of harmony. Each know the other for who they are. Like when Lee would know when Mack and his friends want something from him and he's like "No". It was rather funny that Mack would try to give him solid reasons when he comes in the shop knowing that Lee is aware of his tricks.

It was ironic that Mack wanted to prepar a party for doc and screwed it up pretty much. I was at the same time smiling and feeling sad for him. That's a pretty strong feeling, I dare say. So to me that was a win. Same when that crazy lady would invite cats to party with her.
She's not even aware of what was going on with her hubby. I liked how she was portayed as beautiful and cheerful.

I did like doc tho at first I was suspecious about that character. He seemed to me to not be sincere but the more I read the more I liked him. He would be so understanding and also patient. Of course he did have his moments (at the beach-there was a sense of insanity) and when he punched Mack (him using violence which you'd think he's not able to).

I liked Mack for his ability to convince the others about something. He has this gift of having the perfect answer. He uses it whenever he wants something without abusing that power. He is kind and somehow innocent. He knows how to take care of his friends.

Hazel is the 'cute' one. I liked him most when he went with Doc to pick seastars. I like how he wants to talk without having to think. I like how he hears others without really listening to them. (dont ask why i like those features lol). He isnt hard to live with. easy going and pleasent. Always wanting a conversation to be going on.

hmmmm what really moved me tho is when that kid was making fun of that other kid (forgot the names) because his father committed suicide. It was rather upsetting that he would make him go through the torture of reminding him how his father died. I didnt like that it was ironic that the guy died because he had no job and the next day he killed himself an offer was presented to him. It was kinda hmmmm a prearranged denouement for the guy. I didnt feel spontaneousity in it.

All in all the novel was worth reading. Well written and well balanced. thumbs up

Latest posts

Back