Am I not interesting enough to make friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnuggleWuggle

Reaction score
First, I have no close friends. I could wait an entire year and get no phone call from anyone to hang out or do something.
Maybe sometimes when my "friends" have no one else to hang out with. I consider myself a last minute friend.

When I want to make friends I'm interested in I simply go up to them, say hi, and talk about things that they like/dislike and what their hobbies/interests are. I'm not too shy.

I sometimes feel that I have so much interest in other people that I care a lot about asking things to get to know them better. Although they won't do the same. I guess I'm not a person they deemed worth getting to know.

Even if I do establish a friendship it ends up falling apart because the other person loses interest in me.

I'm not sure why. I am a little socially awkward but it should be bearable.

Since 7th grade I even learned a bunch of trivial talents to make myself "more interesting" I guess

Hi and welcome!

Well you may well end up making some friends here, I did.

Welcome to the forum.

I can say, it's easy to make friends, but not get really good ones. If you make a friend who is really worth keeping, that is something.

SnuggleWuggle said:
First, I have no close friends. I could wait an entire year and get no phone call from anyone to hang out or do something.
Maybe sometimes when my "friends" have no one else to hang out with. I consider myself a last minute friend.

When I want to make friends I'm interested in I simply go up to them, say hi, and talk about things that they like/dislike and what their hobbies/interests are. I'm not too shy.

I sometimes feel that I have so much interest in other people that I care a lot about asking things to get to know them better. Although they won't do the same. I guess I'm not a person they deemed worth getting to know.

Even if I do establish a friendshhip it ends up falling apart because the other person loses interest in me.

Since 7th grade I even learned a bunch of trivial talents to make myself "more interesting" I guess

1st - welcome and 2nd - I have nothing smart to say but WOW I feel like you're speaking my story! I relate to you 100%. I don't know what it is that keeps people from wanting to get to know me because I believe I'm genuinely interested in others. Their disinterest in me makes me feel like I must be socially awkward or have some social pragmatic issue, which I know isn't the case being that my degree is in communication disorders so... I'm stuck.

Firstly, welcome to the forum :)

SnuggleWuggle said:
I could wait an entire year and get no phone call from anyone to hang out or do something.

It's funny, because I know that as a person... It's pretty rare for me to make a phone-call to someone to hang out with, I always wait for someone else to initiate. It could be that your friends DO want to hang out with you, but perhaps they're too shy, or they're afraid of rejection much like I am.
I'm almost certain it's not because you're uninteresting as a person.

SnuggleWuggle said:

Don't ever consider yourself that. Don't even think that. You're not a last minute friend. Unless someone has specifically told you that they only want to hang out with you when they have no one else, then I wouldn't assume that at all.
I know it's hard, but I try to assume not all people are bad. I try to give people, especially friends; a chance until I'm given a reason not to. I assume all my friends like me, and they all want to hang out with me... Otherwise they'd make it somewhat obvious they were only interested in money, or favors.

SnuggleWuggle said:

Great, so you're an initiator :) This is good. People like myself would be far too scared to make the first move so take the initiations you perform at the start of the friendship, and throw it once it's started rolling!
Put the effort in at the start. Call them and see how they wanna go. Who knows, maybe they think YOU don't care about THEM.

SnuggleWuggle said:

This isn't true at all. People inherently like to talk about themselves. That's just how we are. I'm almost certain that if I was to talk to you for 10 minutes, I'd find something interesting about you, and something I'd like to get to know more about.
If there's one thing I've learnt in my short time on this earth, it's that everyone has an interesting story, and I love to hear them. No matter what.

SnuggleWuggle said:
Even if I do establish a friendship it ends up falling apart because the other person loses interest in me.

I'm sure this isn't true, you don't need to find someone interesting ALL THE TIME to be their friend. What about one of my close friends? I've known the guy for 10 years. Do you really think there's much interesting about him after all that time? Not really.
I just enjoy his company.

SnuggleWuggle said:

What kind of talents? :) I'm interested to know.

I noticed SnuggleWuggle discreetly appeared the other day, but I was too busy raging to randomly post a welcome.

So welcome to the site.

Hi hun welcome to the forum!

SnuggleWuggle said:

I know that feeling all to well, it hurts so much to when you make your best effort and they just bugger off! I'm sorry to hear you go through this too.

I don't think it's because you are not interesting enough, it's perhaps because the people around you are not the type of people worthy of being your friend. I know exactly how you feel, I try to make socialize and get to know people but they never make the effort to get to know me in return. This tends to happen with me more when I am socializing face to face with people more than on the internet, I seem to have absolute no issue with making friends online.

I find it difficult to believe you're too boring to make friends, because everybody has a different combination of interests. You simply need to start moving in the right circles.

Sometimes I get overly attached to a person, then I feel like I'm starting annoy them cause they show signs of being annoyed. I can't help it though.

People generally are really picky about who they have as a friend.

And if they have a circle of friends, they may not want to have another one. Nothing against you. They don't dislike you, they just have enough friends, and don't need another one.

Try social meetup groups.

SnuggleWuggle said:

SnuggleWuggle said:

SnuggleWuggle said:
Sometimes I get overly attached to a person, then I feel like I'm starting annoy them cause they show signs of being annoyed. I can't help it though.

it happens to me all the time... (sigh) and at other times people accuse me to be cold, there is no way out. Just be what you are without regrets.

This sort of thing happens to me as well-I take an interest in people, ask them about themselves etc, but they generally don't ask me anything about myself in return. It does levae me feeling that I must be very boring or something.

I was reading some of your posts.. Thought about them for awhile & realized that there's a growing disconnect between "The Validated" & "the rejected" (us). HOW DID THESE PEOPLE GET VALIDATED! What is it? What makes these people so supposedly so likable? Being thoughtful & nice doesn't work. I don't know...It's an enigma.

Latest posts

Back