Anxiety Disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootch

Reaction score
Currently exploring the possibility that I may have mild anxiety disorder. Anxiety affects all of us in different ways but it becomes a problem when it starts to affect one's wellbeing and ability to interact.

I'm suffering from an inability to switch off, coupled with an anticipatory anxiety where I am asking myself constantly 'what if' questions. What if I forgot to do something, what if people are watching me, what if, what if. It makes going into a restaurant alone or simply being in public quite stressful.

Those rare moments when I am not anxious, also worry me because then I am convinced that I have forgotten to be anxious about something, so I worry about what that something is. I feel like I can't be happy because the second I am something bad will happen and it will be my fault.

There are a lot of other sides to it that are difficult to explain but I am beginning to think that after years of suffering anxiety constantly I would like an explanation!

Just got to summon the courage to see my GP.

Those rare moments when I am not anxious, also worry me because then I am convinced that I have forgotten to be anxious about something, so I worry about what that something is

You've got yourself coming and going there, most impressive, it takes real commitment to bugger yourself up like that...

Seriously though, I think you really do need to see your quack and get a diagnosis. Whether you go the tablet route or the psycotherapy route (or both) is up to you and him/her. However there are various anxiety-reducing techniques that might help, (look online) and although they are not a replacement for a doctors help, they might support you. . . Good luck and make that appointment soon!:)

jaguarundi said:
Those rare moments when I am not anxious, also worry me because then I am convinced that I have forgotten to be anxious about something, so I worry about what that something is

You've got yourself coming and going there, most impressive, it takes real commitment to bugger yourself up like that..

You are absolutely right!

Wait... is it really that bad? Haha!

Hi,
Coincidentally, I just read a story this morning in the library in The Atlantic about anxiety

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/01/surviving_anxiety/355741/

It's mostly the writer's testimony on surviving anxiety disorder since he was a kid, a good article.

After my kid was born, my anxiety ramped way up for some reason. I had racing thoughts, unable to sleep and felt unable to take care of my baby. I had to take Paxil for a short time but I take no medications now. I just see myself as mildly neurotic now and it's something I just deal with in the context of everyday life. :)

Personally, my two best antidotes now are exercise and playing the violin.

-Teresa

Probably this sounds like something deserving no more than a shrug, but did you try to stop taking any kind of refined sugar and artificial sweeteners (like aspartame, those in diet soft drinks?) I was like you all of my life, with this brain 'turned on', had major problems sleeping together with all the anxiety you describe, I took tranquilizers for many years and one day I read about sugar, I substituted it with honey, dates, maple syrup (it's not like the world is lacking sweet stuff) and after two months I was … calm.
Like those people I have met, placid, without a problem, I never for a second thought I could be like them.
Eating healthy in general is better for you, but I found out that many people are sensitive especially to sugar, that is not supposed to be eaten except as a medication,so just taking away that can make a huge difference before you start taking drugs. I know it sounds like some weird hippie belief, it really is not. Your GP most probably doesn't know about this, or doesn't believe it, because they are trained to prefer drugs instead of simple (and free) healing.

http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/sugar_blues.htm

also exercise can make a change, and staying outdoors with nature/animals.

I agree with Sofi'mamma and Peaches that diet, exercise and finding something that relaxes you can make a difference in 'mental health' issues. But I strongly urge caution in this. Sometimes the right approach is the medical one.

Two tales from my own experiences, which I hope will not unduly worry Scootch, who I hope is not so badly affected with her anxiety issues..

First, an older neighbour of mine who was a bit of a big sister to me when I was late teens early twenties. She was always a bit high-strung, definitely a worry-wort, with not many support systems, being a housewife, 2 kids at school, mother a total cow and in-laws not very helpful. I moved away due to work promotion, lost touch somewhat, didn't phone very often (though she didn't call me , either). Next I heard she had convinced herself she had cancer (not true) never gone to the doctor about her anxiety or her cancer fears, walked into the sea, drowned.

2nd -- An Assistant to myself and another manager, Bi-polar but with more of the depression than the highs. Didn't like the way the meds she was taking made her feel, so went off them for natural remedies etc. Turned up at work one day in a bad way, refused help, disappeared for a week - we couldn't trace her. Found out she had gone to another town and jumped off the top of a multi-storey car-park. She didn't bounce.

I'm not saying this will happen to everyone in these conditions, just that a proper diagnosis and agreed approach to treatment with a qualified professional can be the best way forward for some.

Thank you all for your informative and supportive responses. I do believe that I need to seek professional help just to be sure, as you will see from my previous early posts I have had some close scrapes and they have happened several times in my life. I just don't want to let it get to the stage where I do something stupid and succeed!

I don't eat sweets and sugary food, nor do I drink soda or similar. The only sinful thing I consume is alcohol. I have also stopped drinking coffee. I find that often alcohol is the only way I can get something close to relaxed.

Hopefully either way, my doctor will be able to suggest what I should do. They are the professionals at the end of the day!

Having a bit of an unpleasant episode as we speak..

Seeking distractions?!

I definitely agree with Jaguarundi that seeking professional help instead of self-help can be the best solution, especially during acute episodes. I know this too well after working in the mental health field with severely mentally ill adults and children.
If you're feeling anxious more days than not and it's impinging on your ability to perform normal everyday activities, getting a professional assessment is a good first step.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
If you're feeling anxious more days than not and it's impinging on your ability to perform normal everyday activities, getting a professional assessment is a good first step.

yes, that

also, if I may add, in my experience periods of anxiety were are an indication that something was very wrong with my life, I was feeling stuck, dissatisfied, etc
and as soon as I started some steps to change they would go away, I am not saying that this is what is happening to you. I mean, if you feel you need medication then you need medication.

Scootch wrote
I do believe that I need to seek professional help just to be sure,

You are being very wise in this, and good luck when you do. I hope that your GP is supportive and takes the time to really work out what is best for you, as of course, not all of them do. If you go to a joint practice, I am sure you can select the one likely to be the most use in your case.

I find that often alcohol is the only way I can get something close to relaxed.

Re alcohol - I know what you mean about its relaxing properties, but on balance it is best avoided if you think you can. It's ok when you are having it but then has a generally depressing and tiring effect afterwards. I have no room to talk here, as I do imbibe - hadn't spoken to a single person from Wednesday until Sunday, and Sunday was to speak to my elderly and unloving father. So... lets open a bottle of wine and forget it all... oh well no-one to talk to today, either, but tomorrow going shopping with a couple of friends...

Latest posts

Back