anyone else feels like they will die young?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Well, I ain't that young anymore, but still, since I was a teenager I was thinking all the time: I won't live to be 20, I won't live to be 30 etc.
Then the 30ies arrived, I was really surprised, I lost most of the decade to a nasty illness but still I was impressed that I hadn't died yet.
40, I still haven't realized that that is my age, and today I looked at the date, 2014, and I was blown away, I never imagined I would live up to this day and the thought came again: perhaps I will die this year, I am not supposed to be alive.

I read in various articles that this could be anxiety, but it doesn't feel like anxiety, it feels like I am not supposed to be alive and get old. How weird is that? I even explored alternative thoughts and reincarnation

(please, don't get aggressive until you read something about it

for instance
http://www.amazon.com/Many-Lives-Masters-Prominent-Psychiatrist/dp/0671657860

http://www.earth-association.org/articles/by-roger-woolger-phd
or some documentaries

)
because that feeling has been so strong all my life, like I was supposed to have died many years ago. And not because of any depression, mind me, just like when you know you have black hair and black eyes you are surprised by seeing in the mirror blue eyes and blond hair, in the same way I am surprised to be still alive.

How weird is that? Did you ever experience anything remotely similar? Or is it just the cold and the post new year's eve hangover (I didn't drink much though) talking?

Disclaimer: I am not supporting belief in past lives, even if I had several interesting experiences in that direction, I was just curious to hear if you ever thought about this

I'm probably going to commit suicide one day. It's just a matter of time, as far as I'm concerned. I simply don't think the chances of me getting old and dying naturally are very high.

...unless, of course, some sort of life-lengthening technology is invented in the next couple of decades. Or robot bodies. If those things happen, I'll totally become an immortal robot. Hell yeah. :cool:

When I was a teenager I used to think the exact same thing. I couldn't see myself being an "adult", working, or even living on my own, always thought I was going to die young. Don't know why, still can't figure out why.

I've never been able to envision myself living past 45. I don't know why.

I've already had two heart attacks, and I've lived a stress-filled life that's been hard on my body. So if I die young, I won't be surprised.

i think i calculated my lifespan to end somewhere in the late 40's, like 48... i forget what information i was using to come to that conclusion....

I thought I would be dead by now also, but, I just keep waking up everyday... least the nightmares aren't in my dreams... just when I'm awake o.o

Hmm, interesting. I've actually never had this thoughts before. Yeah ive had thoughts about suicide before, but not about me dying young of natural causes. I certainly hope that's not the case too, because I have goals and dreams id like to accomplish before my time is over. Will any of those things happen? Who knows, i hope so!

How old are you? I thought you were younger, lol.

I've often worried that I might develop cancer. I don't know why but it concerns me. This is despite me being the healthiest person in my family.

This entire thread is depressing. I have to admit I thought I would die younger. I remember taking some poll and there is a link between thinking you're going to die younger and actually dying younger. Those who thought they would live long lives tend to live a few years longer.

I don't believe in reincarnation but whenever I contemplate my own death happening anytime soon, it's always in the context of anxiety.
Genetics have a lot to do with longevity; so choose long-lived parents and grandparents and you'll likely live a long life too :)
Thinking about my potentially untimely demise has led me to set up a will and revocable living trust and also get life insurance for my kiddo. So I suppose that's a good thing. I'm planning on living a long life but if I die while my child is still young, I would hate for my last thought to be "who will take care of her"

-Teresa

If by "young" you mean under 65, I'm pretty sure of it. The men in my father's family are not long-lived, & I am predisposed to heart disease among other ailments. Oh well...s*** happens. *shrug*

What would be great is if I were to die young because of being shot immediately upon being caught in flagrante delicto with a royal monarch's daughter.Sure it would messy but I'd be hsving fun right up to the last moment!...

Gutted said:
How old are you? I thought you were younger, lol.

I've often worried that I might develop cancer. I don't know why but it concerns me. This is despite me being the healthiest person in my family.

Same here!!
I have this weird notion that if I went to see the doctor for my headaches, they're going to find something in my brain. So I don't go... :-O

Well I have a health condition that will probably kill me before I'm 45, I've had depression/anxiety for the past 7-8 years, suicidal thoughts come up often, I smoke, I drink (which is worse because my health condition affects my liver), no life motivators... Yeah, I'm probably gonna die young.

Oh well. lol

Dr. Strangelove said:
Well I have a health condition that will probably kill me before I'm 45, I've had depression/anxiety for the past 7-8 years, suicidal thoughts come up often, I smoke, I drink (which is worse because my health condition affects my liver), no life motivators... Yeah, I'm probably gonna die young.

Oh well. lol

I'm sorry to read about this. :\

What health condition is it that you have? If you don't mind me asking.

I spent my entire life feel this exact way, and I have come to the conclusion that it is because there is very important work that you are doing weather you know it or not, that the negative forces in the universe do not want you to complete. But you are very important to this world and to all the people that you come into contact with, if it were not true then you wouldn't be here today. ( however there are those who are meant to make their mark on the world through their untimely death, you are not, you are meant to live)

It is a fear of mine since a lot of family members have died in the past 5 years as well as several people I went to school with who were young themselves. I think a greater fear to me would be dying before I find true happiness in my life, that would be a far greater tragedy.

I used to think I might die young, but now I am in my fifties I guess I am too old to die young.

ladyforsaken said:
Dr. Strangelove said:

Oh well. lol

I'm sorry to read about this. :\

What health condition is it that you have? If you don't mind me asking.
Chronic Hepatitis C that I've had since birth or early childhood. I got it from my mother who I assume got it from dirty needles (although she swears up and down that it was from a blood transfusion while dismissing her prior heroin addiction) I have multiple genotypes of it, and one of them is more difficult to treat. My liver has basically been taking a beating my entire life.

It also doesn't help me when seeking a relationship. I have to figure out when to tell them, how to tell them, tell them what it is, tell them how it's transmitted, explain to them that it's not actually an STD etc. etc. Most of the women that I reach that point with become disinterested and move on. The few that do stay... well then it's all typical BF/GF drama at that point haha :p

Aww I see now. I'm sorry to hear about this, but I am impressed that you don't let it bring you down, instead you keep on going. That's amazing. I wish you luck in finding someone who can truly understand your condition and love you for you.

Latest posts

Back