Anyone "normal" here?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is "Normal" anyway? I think we are all awesome in our own special ways.... that's what makes this forum a success. That's what makes society so imperfectly perfect.

I don't think it is insulting. I was going to post something similar I just knew people would take it wrong.

It is a simple fact that I am somewhat more *upwardly mobile* than most of the posters here. I am not going to hide that. And stating it isn't bragging. I seek to find people that are similar to me. That isn't wrong. I see what the OP was going for.

I agree there is no normal but the OP had to use some "word" to convey what he was talking about. I think anyone who wanted to understand instead of be insulted would have seen that.

It's possible to be around people all the time and still be lonely if you feel no one is like you. Most of us here have probably felt that way one time or another. I'm from a small, conservative town and while I have a number of friends back there that I care deeply about, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I live in a mostly suburban area now but I schlep my kid into the city often because I get bored with the suburban lifestyle. I just can't relate to it. You might be happier if you move an urban setting.

-Teresa

LonelySutton said:
I don't think it is insulting. I was going to post something similar I just knew people would take it wrong.

It is a simple fact that I am somewhat more *upwardly mobile* than most of the posters here. I am not going to hide that. And stating it isn't bragging. I seek to find people that are similar to me. That isn't wrong. I see what the OP was going for.

I agree there is no normal but the OP had to use some "word" to convey what he was talking about. I think anyone who wanted to understand instead of be insulted would have seen that.

+1

If she used a better word no one would have made a big deal about it. Maybe we just weren't culturally literate enough to get it.

Despicable Me said:
I don't really see the need to mock the topic creator. He didn't mean anything against the people here. He's asking for help.

They said the same things the first time they were here, and I did not appreciate it then, nor do I now. Not only does this individual seem to suggest the only kind of normal for them is some kind of "extremely intelligent with high ambition," a highly irritating kind of "I'm just too good for everyone" statement.. it is also perplexing, re Tealeaf's comments.

I believe the problem lies with the individual, rather than the bad luck of being surrounded by "low quality people." I'll give them a slight benefit of the doubt--perhaps they don't fit in where they live--but it was worded in a way that, to me, makes the problem very obvious.

I-tried-to-be-normal-once-meme.jpg

disclaimer: this is what I thought when I read the title, before reading the rest

and by the way, "upwardly mobile" is very nice, but, c'mon, "upwardly"? like, you can fly? it this a class thing? "Upwardly" doesn't sound about culture, sounds more about status and money and eventually power, and that's what I think can rub some the wrong way. (and someone would say: what is wrong with status, money, and power? Let's say it, nothing wrong with that, except to those can't for different reasons have any)

But yeah, sorry I got sidetracked, that was an add-on to the original post, not in the post itself. The post was about affinity and culture, and according to Gramsci, culture is not "up", real culture is "aside" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony

If it's culture that you are looking for, and I am 100% with you on this one, move to a city as fast as you can, or manage to create your own cultural circle, although in small town dynamics you need to be "well introduced" to get anything moving, and now I read again, you live in the suburbs, so that might in fact be really difficult.
If it's the lack of ambition and drive that you suffer from, move to the city. That's all very fine. Just don't call it normal, because by the way in this world other things like cruelty, greed, vulgarity, intellectual and emotional passivity, ignorance and lack of sensitivity constitute what is normal.

PS I am moving back to the city in some weeks

There are lots of normal people here. Many I've spoken to here are people with great potential, who just happened to get unlucky. Accidents, sickness, bad upbringing, trauma from some random event... One example, do you really think anyone would care about your prior career, degrees, friends, if you got in an accident and turned blind so you couldn't keep your job?

Anyway, you don't have any particular issues you need help with. And you want to meet people locally, and not talk to people online.

It sounds like what you need is meetup.com

Check it out, and good luck! It sucks when you don't have anyone to connect with.

exasperated: I actually tried writing to you a few months ago, but you wrote back to me that you didn't want to use PM on this site, you wanted e-mail, which I don't use because I normally have nobody TO e-mail. I tried explaining my situation to you (no friends or family, hence, no e-mail or social media accounts) but you never wrote back after that...

bookworm1979 said:
exasperated: I actually tried writing to you a few months ago, but you wrote back to me that you didn't want to use PM on this site, you wanted e-mail, which I don't use because I normally have nobody TO e-mail. I tried explaining my situation to you (no friends or family, hence, no e-mail or social media accounts) but you never wrote back after that...

**** man, that must have made you exasperated.

I did write the original poster via PM and haven't heard back. Sort of wondering if this was a troll of some sort.

In general fyi I would not recommend writing a stranger via e-mail. There is information people can get off an e-mail address including location. That is all I know about but I know the advanced probably could pull more off it.

LonelySutton said:
I did write the original poster via PM and haven't heard back. Sort of wondering if this was a troll of some sort.

I don't think she's a troll, I think she doesn't deem many people worth talking to. This thread comes to mind...

Based on that, her custom user title (ifyou'renotangryyou'renotpayingattention), and the original post of this thread, I get the impression she is seeking someone with vehement political passions, and possibly mistakes a lack of expressed outrage over social justice issues as a lack of passion or interest. I could be wrong, that's just how it seems to me. (I had a friend like this once who eventually dropped me because I wasn't "dynamic" enough for him.) If that's the case I'm not surprised she hasn't returned messages, there aren't many people here interested in wasting their energy getting riled up over that sort of thing, unless it somehow relates to them being unable to get dates.

LonelySutton said:
In general fyi I would not recommend writing a stranger via e-mail. There is information people can get off an e-mail address including location. That is all I know about but I know the advanced probably could pull more off it.

^ I agree. I've had some unfortunate experiences.

I feel the same way about e-mail. I wasn't going to open an account just so I could chat with exasperated because I didn't know her well enough yet. She DID send me her e-mail address in a PM, but she wasn't keen on using this site to chat because she thought it was too confusing.

I probably would have disappointed her, anyway---I'm certainly passionate about social issues, but I'm far too cynical, LOL.

exasperated: it depends on your own "normality", including your expectations, tolerance and flexibilty.
I can understand the aspects that brought you to desperation, maybe you elaborate them a bit for better understanding, I wish i could help, but i realize that my "normal" abilities don`t fit your set of criteria. And i`m an introvert.
Loneliness is one topic, culture, education, degrees and career another topic. What is it exactly you want or look for?

IMO, this was a flame trigger (drop&flee). Sorry exasperated, I remember you from your first time here and you didn`t strike me as very open to discussion. Perceptions, impressions.

bookworm1979 said:
I probably would have disappointed her, anyway---I'm certainly passionate about social issues, but I'm far too cynical, LOL.

Well, you can PM me. I am cynical also. Solivagant I would have PMed you but seems I don't have that option.

One problem I have communicating on this site via PM is that I feel like I can't do it at work. I am monitored at work, though, they don't get snoopy I wouldn't want them seeing "a lonely life". I also don't typically look at this site on the train unless I am in an area people can't see what is on my phone.

Latest posts

Back