Are compliments hard to accept?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I find it extremely hard to accept compliments because it makes me feel uncomfortable; and if I was truthful about the matter, it is due to not having high self esteem.

Callie said:
... The compliments I usually have a difficult time accepting are the compliments directed at what I look like. To me, they are lies, so they just basically piss me off (depending on who they come from)

Callie, you are a beautiful woman and I do not understand why you would think otherwise.

<------ :club: (before Callie does) :p

I love compliments, because I would actually believe they're true and the person means it.

Yes. I often reflexively brush off compliments because I find them so hard to believe. Like, I make some sort of excuse as for why I'm not deserving of that compliment. That, or I get it in my head that the person is joking or just saying it to be nice.

I feel it's best to just accept a compliment and move on -- even if your biased perception of things prevents you from actually believing it. That's something I have to work on.

I'd take hardcore, harsh as hell, demonically evil insults over most compliments any day, no specific reason, they make me feel better than compliments because it means that i'm better than they say

ensom said:
Yes. I often reflexively brush off compliments because I find them so hard to believe. Like, I make some sort of excuse as for why I'm not deserving of that compliment. That, or I get it in my head that the person is joking or just saying it to be nice.

I feel it's best to just accept a compliment and move on -- even if your biased perception of things prevents you from actually believing it. That's something I have to work on.

+1

I agree with some of the previous statements. It really depends whether the compliment is an honest regard to something that intrigues you, or merely an attempt to gain favour from someone. Either way, it's best not to linger with compliments, for they can be hazardous to one's integrity.

I never accept compliments because I no longer trust what anyone says anymore. Plus most are hard to believe considering how I could list all that needs to be improved with extensive plastic surgery... My psychologist said it was rude not to say thank you, and I NEVER realized that honestly. So now I just say thank you while listing reasons why it's not true in my head. There are times when I get praised and it makes me feel horribly embarressed though.

Depends on many factors. Depends who says it. Depends if I want it. Depends on what their motive appears to be. Depends on if I agree. Compliments can be nice though.

mmmhhh....
I dont know. I just say "thank you" but I dont really accept them. I prefer criticism.
and when this compliments are about stupid things I get mad to be honest.
for example, I was with a friend in a club a couple of weeks ago and we were dancing with these latin girls. and the one with me, was teaching me how to dance salsa, merengue or whatever. and she said to me: "you're a beautiful guy, so you should learn how to dance because women like that."
ok... I said thanks and 2 things were in my head.
first... ok, it feels good at some level when someone said to you that you're not the monster that you think you are. but on the other hand... those kind of compliments are so hollow and mean just nothing. nice, funny, or even cute are acceptable. but beautiful?... and... should I learn to dance for what? to attract women? jeeeez!!!
why not because is cool to dance? or fun? or whatever?
I know that maybe sounds pretty stupid but, that really grind my gears.
no content at all.

This girl complimented me yesterday on my use of computers.

My response was this grumpy sounding "Hmmph." It's like I actually couldn't say anything :rolleyes:

if you have trouble accepting compliments, chances are you have some confidence problems, I used to be the same way, Ive been hanging out with confident people lately, and its rubbing off on me.

Ever since I was a small kid, I have always found compliments hard to accept and sometimes I really get embarassed when someone compliments me. I feel really awkward being given compliments...dont know why but it never feels right....just feels like a nonsensical gesture to me sometimes, even though it isnt intended to be but I perceive it that way.

PinkDelusion said:
I never accept compliments because I no longer trust what anyone says anymore. Plus most are hard to believe considering how I could list all that needs to be improved with extensive plastic surgery... My psychologist said it was rude not to say thank you, and I NEVER realized that honestly. So now I just say thank you while listing reasons why it's not true in my head. There are times when I get praised and it makes me feel horribly embarressed though.

I find it difficult to take compliments too :< I say "thank you! BUT >insert introspective criticisms here<" :D

Maybe I should just lighten up a bit :<

But try not to be embarrassed :) I'm sure you deserve them if you get them!

If I know what I did deserves a compliment then I have no problem in accepting.

I don't handle compliments well. I usually just shy away from it.
Over the recent years, I have been given awards because of doing way more than more people do for some community service projects. Sitting in a group of people and hearing someone make a speech giving me praise and then giving me an award is so uncomfortable.

LostInside said:
Do you find compliments hard to accept? Or praise of any kind?

I'm just curious because I find them very hard to accept.

Nope!
I just smile, and agree, and thank the person who gave it! (:)

It depends on who gives them as how i take them. If a boss or teacher/professor or any other authoritive figure gives a compliment i just accept it. If a peer gives me one i am cool for the most part. But if a girl i like gives me one it makes me think she likes me.

Latest posts

Back