Are compliments hard to accept?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a problem with accepting compliments. I kinda feel like anything I say after it would sound stupid so I end up barely saying 'thanks' are just downplaying the compliment. I really don't know why its so hard for me but its always been like this.

jean-vic said:
Compliments? What.... oh, you mean those lies people tell me to make me feel better.

Guess how I take them. ;)

I know where ur coming from. I think it's healthy to be suspicious of compliments because there's always someone trying to sell you something these days. I think I can accept a compliment now when I know it's sincere, I never used to be able to.

This thread made me think of a couple of compliments that I had taken lately; I find that mostly I reply with 'thanks', "I try my best" or "just doing my job."

I love compliments.

I've been recently complimented on my physique. That night when taking a shower I took a big long look at myself at the mirror, and I was very confident and felt happy.

All I have to do is drop that shy-looking face and change it with a confident and tough looking one. :D

When you really work hard for something, than compliments are great. It gives you some self-esteem and reward!
But i think that person who gives a compliment don't even expect something in return, so a nice "thank you" or "you are really kind, thanks" or just a smile, will do just fine.
And dont drop a shy-looking face :) if someone compliments you means that you've shown that your good and you should be proud of it!

All the best :)

The only way I can take a compliment is by responding with one... So if someone says "You're so pretty" or something I say something like "Well just look at you, rocking that *insert random item of clothing or accessory*" Or I can reply with something to downplay it, but not too self deprecating sometimes also, like "I love your hair, it's such a great color" I can respond to with "Thanks I am really fond of the color but it's a mess to make it do anything but be straight!"

I try my hardest to just take it without deflecting though. My fiance likes to tell me if I don't start just accepting the compliments he'll stop giving them to me; I know he never would, but it's a good method to make me try a little harder and I appreciate it!

I suppose I do. I definately appreciate the kindness though..even if I don't believe it all the way.

Latest posts

Back