Are you more lonely when you're sick?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JustLost

I am. I spent the entire weekend with a stomach flu. I'm not sure which was worse, the pain in my gut or the feeling of loneliness. I think it's because there's no one to look after me or even check in on me. I could have died and no one would have noticed. I had to go to the store by myself and get all the "sick supplies" I needed, all the while trying not to vomit in the middle of the grocery aisle (lovely picture).

If there was just someone there to talk to or tell me I was going to be alright, it would have made it a bit more bearable. It's a bit frightening to realize if something really terrible happens to me medically, there won't be anyone around to help. I'll die in the middle of the bathroom floor and no one will find me for a month. :(

I understand how you feel. I only have two friends that I can rely on if I get sick. I'm due to have surgery at the end of this month, if all goes well, and I'm not concerned about the surgery but more about the recovery. I won't be able to strain myself in any way and I'm terrified because I'm a hyper honeysuckle that can't stand still.

I already told my friends that they MUST be on call if I need to get out because I live with mom (yes, very sad) and she'll drive me nuts while I'm recovering.

I never really feel a strong need to be social when I'm sick. I don't know, but I just want a dog or my sister's bunny or some other furry pet to lay on the couch with me. It's really nice if someone stops by to check on me now and then, but I don't expect it or look forward to it or anything. It's nice if someone stops by, but if they don't then the thought would never cross my mind at how kind it would be if they did. When I'm sick, I sleep until I'm better. People tend to be too squirley and it keeps me from resting well. So no, I'm not lonely when I'm sick.

I just want to be left alone... like the wounded animal crawling into it's cave to heal its wounds and attack anybody that comes near... course if somebody brought me some cocoa or toast cut into little squares I wouldn't bite XD
This never happens though... I'm more miserable when I'm sick... but it plays no part in being lonely or not for me.

JustLost, That is the worst when your ill. I know exactly where your coming from there mate. I can remember one time I got up in the middle of the night and was being sick. I didn't even make it to the bathroom. I did have a bucket tho. I was sweating like crazy and was as weak as a kitten. I swear I thought I was going to pass out right there in the hallway. I got down to the docs the next day and she hospitalised me. She told me I should of called for an ambulants. But its not something you think about in less you have blood going everywhere are a leg hanging of lol She asked why did my mum and dad not call for one and she was surprised to hear that I lived alone. I think now looking back on that if I had of been living with someone they would of called one for me whether are not I wonted them to.

Keep your self warm mate and have plenty of vitamin "C" and fluids and try and eat plenty even if you don't feel like it... Feel for you chap... been there to many times...

Lost in the Oilfield said:
I just want to be left alone... like the wounded animal crawling into it's cave to heal its wounds and attack anybody that comes near... course if somebody brought me some cocoa or toast cut into little squares I wouldn't bite XD
This never happens though... I'm more miserable when I'm sick... but it plays no part in being lonely or not for me.

I almost never get sick, but I totally agree. I become very grouchy and just want to be left alone.

bluey said:
She asked why did my mum and dad not call for one and she was surprised to hear that I lived alone. I think now looking back on that if I had of been living with someone they would of called one for me whether are not I wonted them to.

This is kind of the thing that scares me. As stubborn as I am, I know I'll never go the hospital on my own...Living alone is nice in some ways but the disadvantages are numerous.

Fortunately, it's very rare that I get sick. Even then, "sick" for me is a headache, sore throat, and runny nose all at the same time; basically, a cold, which I MIGHT have once annually and I recover from in about three days.

That is the best way. One day coming, one day here and one day going. I like the idea and if you can do that at the same time every year then even better lol,,, even better would not to get ill at all.

I think most single people are at their loneliest when there sick. but me personally, I perfer to be alone when I don't feel well. I have this routine where I like to pretend that I'm dying. and every ache and pain that I have brings me closer to the end. I also like to watch zombie movies when I got the flu. but instead of hoping the humans get away I cheer for the zombies. honestly, who cant relate to feeling like a zombie when there sick. am I right?

Latest posts

Back