Can't do it!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistborn10

Reaction score
I have social anxiety and have bouts of severe depression. Currently I'm feeling the best I have in a long time. It's great and I actually like myself. Today I went to buy paint at the arts and craft store in my town and the girl that checked me out asked me if I paint and we had a good conversation. I thought she was cute and she seemed shy too. I want to go back soon and ask her to get coffee. I feel like a coward because I never end up doing anything about these situations. I know I just need to do it but I was going to ask if anybody had advice for how I should go about it or what to say? If any of the ladies have advice about how to go about it?

Well I'm not a lady but how about keeping it simple and just ask "Would you like to go out for coffee sometime?"

Mistborn10 said:
Yeah. Sorry. It was a stupid question. I just can't ever get the words out

"I would really like to talk to you more about art, would you like to go and get coffee with me sometime?"

Don't berate yourself btw. I bet you are nicer to other people than your inner voice is to yourself.

Just gotta say **** it, man.

Go to her and ask her to join you for coffee, or simply say to her you'd love for her to join you for coffee. Coffee is harmless. It is friendly. It isn't asking for sex. It isn't asking her to be your girlfriend. It is simply a follow up to an overture to friendship the two of you MAY have begun when you had that nice little conversation. If she doesn't want the friendship, consider it her loss.

Know your worth and do not pity yourself when someone else rejects you out of sheer ignorance regarding your worth.

SophiaGrace said:
Mistborn10 said:
Yeah. Sorry. It was a stupid question. I just can't ever get the words out

"I would really like to talk to you more about art, would you like to go and get coffee with me sometime?"

I like this, especially as that is a topic on which you are truly passionate about, so it's totally true that you have so much more to say that can't be squeezed in a conversation of some minutes or whatever

Good luck! I have troubles with the ladies too, so I really hope you overcome it and do what you must do. I know how it feels.

Mistborn10 said:
I want to go back soon and ask her to get coffee. I feel like a coward because I never end up doing anything about these situations.

Don't beat yourself up for missing one opportunity. If she still works there, you have another shot.

Mistborn10 said:
I know I just need to do it but I was going to ask if anybody had advice for how I should go about it or what to say?

I agree that simpler is better. Try relaxation techniques. The more we get nervous, the more we shallow-breathe, and so it's important to take deep breaths before you ask her out. It will help you relax.

Latest posts

Back