Can't stop thinking about him

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedolphin92

Reaction score
I have a friend who I met through a student organization on campus. Since about January or February, I've had a crush on him. The crush started off fairly minor, but by about April it was very powerful and I knew I had to do something about it soon with the end of the school year approaching. Finally on the last day of the semester, I got the perfect opportunity to kiss him, and I went for it. He kissed me back! I was so happy, but now I'm just not sure about what's to come. I just can't stop thinking about him, how much I miss seeing him every week. And I keep thinking about how we're going to start dating once the school year starts back up. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up about that, but I can't help it.

We had been keeping in touch, with him messaging me online once or twice a week. But he has a job as a camp counselor over the summer which he left for on June 4. I texted him the night of June 3, hoping to talk to him one last time before he left, but I guess he didn't get the message because he didn't respond. I'm guessing he doesn't have his phone with him while he's away at camp, so I have no idea when I'll be able to talk to him again. I keep worrying that he'll meet some other girl who's also a counselor at camp or something and forget all about me. How can I stop obsessing so much over this issue? There are still over 2 months until school starts up again, I can't let these thoughts rule over me all summer long.

I know the feeling. Personally I'd just get out of the house and fill your time with different activities so you don't have time to think about him. If you just sit around he will rule your thoughts and you will start to think irrationally. Maybe get a summer job, or focus on a hobby and hang out with your friends. I'm not saying forget about him by any means. Just stay busy so thinking of him doesn't rule your summer.

That's what I do if I find myself in your situation. Usually if I stop and think, I realize that I put that person up on a pedestal and built them up to be the perfect person in the first place. So I have to stop and calm myself down. From how it sounds he's probably thinking of you too, just know he's not going anywhere, he will be there in 2 months. Obsessing will get you nowhere.

Outcast said:
I know the feeling. Personally I'd just get out of the house and fill your time with different activities so you don't have time to think about him. If you just sit around he will rule your thoughts and you will start to think irrationally. Maybe get a summer job, or focus on a hobby and hang out with your friends. I'm not saying forget about him by any means. Just stay busy so thinking of him doesn't rule your summer.

That's what I do if I find myself in your situation. Usually if I stop and think, I realize that I put that person up on a pedestal and built them up to be the perfect person in the first place. So I have to stop and calm myself down. From how it sounds he's probably thinking of you too, just know he's not going anywhere, he will be there in 2 months. Obsessing will get you nowhere.

I've been trying to. I am staying in the town my college is in over the summer working in two research labs. I do find that I tend to obsess less when I'm working in the lab or am hanging out with my roommates at my apartment.

I'd like to think that he thinks of my from time to time as well. I just really wish he'd sent one last "goodbye" message before he left for camp. Oh well.

bluedolphin92 said:
Outcast said:

I've been trying to. I am staying in the town my college is in over the summer working in two research labs. I do find that I tend to obsess less when I'm working in the lab or am hanging out with my roommates at my apartment.

I'd like to think that he thinks of my from time to time as well. I just really wish he'd sent one last "goodbye" message before he left for camp. Oh well.

Well you're right imo, if it were me I would have at least sent a goodbye or let that person know why I won't be responding if I really cared about them. I wouldn't take it the wrong way though, he was probably just too busy or it might have slipped his mind. Its hard to know when you're not there.

Just realize this one guy is not the start or the end of the world. Their's plenty more out there. Do that and stay busy and I think it will help keep him off your mind. Obsessive feelings can ruin relationships and really turn some people off, so its something you should work on. Also keep in mind my advice is ment to just lessen the feelings so it doesn't kill the relationship one day, not stop the feelings all together. I hope what I said makes sense and helps a little.

Outcast said:
bluedolphin92 said:
Outcast said:

Well you're right imo, if it were me I would have at least sent a goodbye or let that person know why I won't be responding if I really cared about them. I wouldn't take it the wrong way though, he was probably just too busy or it might have slipped his mind. Its hard to know when you're not there.

Just realize this one guy is not the start or the end of the world. Their's plenty more out there. Do that and stay busy and I think it will help keep him off your mind. Obsessive feelings can ruin relationships and really turn some people off, so its something you should work on. Also keep in mind my advice is ment to just lessen the feelings so it doesn't kill the relationship one day, not stop the feelings all together. I hope what I said makes sense and helps a little.

I texted him on Friday (May 30) and we talked for a bit then. He asked me if I was thinking of buying a certain video game that we had talked about before. He had said that once I bought it we'd be able to play it together. I said I was waiting until it was on sale to buy it, since it's on Steam and they always have a huge sale in the summer. Maybe he had wanted to ask me to play it before he left for camp, but since I said I was waiting to buy it he didn't know what else to say?

I understand what you mean. Thank you, it does help.

bluedolphin92 said:
Outcast said:
bluedolphin92 said:
Outcast said:

I texted him on Friday (May 30) and we talked for a bit then. He asked me if I was thinking of buying a certain video game that we had talked about before. He had said that once I bought it we'd be able to play it together. I said I was waiting until it was on sale to buy it, since it's on Steam and they always have a huge sale in the summer. Maybe he had wanted to ask me to play it before he left for camp, but since I said I was waiting to buy it he didn't know what else to say?

I understand what you mean. Thank you, it does help.

I use steam all the time and do the same thing. He might have just ran out of things to say. I've never been the type to txt someone all day. Usually the conversations get boring and you run out of things to talk about. Thats what probably happened. And he might of just been too busy getting ready for camp and forgot to text you. Its always tough trying to tell what people are thinking. Its pretty much a guessing game, but thats my opinion.

Latest posts

Back