Car got scratched in parking lot. What should I have done?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
So today, I went grocery shopping with my uncle. After we went shopping for a while and came back out to the parking lot, we noticed that there was a car parked behind us that had actually parked too far in, and hit the bumper of our car.

Now this was nothing major. It wasn't like a huge dent or anything, but there was a scratch on our car. We saw the gentleman come back out to his car but he said nothing to us. It was as if nothing happened to him. My uncle wanted to say something to him, but because it was just a minor scratch and he didn't know English very well, he decided to just let it go.

What would have been the right thing to do in this case? Yes, the scratch was something very minor. However it still shouldn't have happened and because of the man's recklessness while parking, we have to pay the price. What would have been the right thing to do?

I feel that walking away and letting it go was the right thing, but I heard before that a boy who cannot stand up for what he believes will become a man who cannot stand up for anything. If I can't stand up to something simple as this, how will I stand up to more tougher things in life later on? I understand that this is something minor, but should I have at least stood up and done something?

I don't feel angry or upset for walking away and doing nothing. I didn't feel it was necessary, and still don't. I do however feel that this is probably one of the easier things I'll deal with in life. There will be events later in my life that are much more serious, and if I can't stand up to something stupid like this, how will I be able to stand up to other things later on?

What are your thoughts? What would you guys have done?

Problem is you have no idea what kind of guy this person is. You could have said something and he could have been some psycho nut. If it was just a minor scratch you did the better thing.

Exactly what my uncle said too lol. But if I keep this mindset with everyone I encounter, won't I just become some *censored* who can't stand up to nobody?

Where do I draw the line on whether or not I should do something about it? How big of a scratch should it have been for me to have said something? How far does one have to go for it to be "worth it" to stand up and fight back?

I think it would have been ok to say something. Approaching a stranger on that kind of issue is always going to be awkward and speaking as a single lady usually with a young kid in tow, I feel vulnerable when approaching strangers sometimes. But there were 2 of you and you were in a public place.
I don't know where you are but where I am, what the other driver did is called a hit and run and is a crime. Even if you didn't approach him, it's still a hit and run.
Not approaching him doesn't mean you're a wuss but it's ok to get a little upset and take reasonable action if someone destroys your personal property.
Take it as a lesson learned and you'll do better next time. :)

-Teresa

I for one would of probably commented on the scratch if I saw the owner of the car walking back to his car while I was in my car but wouldnt make a fuzz out of it. Or not not sure but it really depends on how much of a problem to you is. If it didnt bother then good but if it did which I assme it did then you should of said something.

GrannySmith111 said:
Exactly what my uncle said too lol. But if I keep this mindset with everyone I encounter, won't I just become some *censored* who can't stand up to nobody?

Where do I draw the line on whether or not I should do something about it? How big of a scratch should it have been for me to have said something? How far does one have to go for it to be "worth it" to stand up and fight back?

I'm with you on this. I would always say "something". You can always assume the worst of any situation. Despite what the bible says about the meek inheriting the earth, it is scientifically proven that those who stand up for themselves and are proactive go farther in life.

I personally would have said something about the scratch. If the guy apologized, I would say it happens and move on. When I started driving I bumped a car when trying to park. The guy was standing right there putting groceries in his trunk lol. But there was literally no damage and he said you get a pass. Accidents happen.

It doesn't even have to be an accident. I was sitting in a car waiting for a friend two weeks ago. The car in front of me, pulls out and a woman pulls in. Absolutely terrible parallel parker. She bumped my car three times very softly as she tried horrendously to straighten herself out. At that point, I had to get out, and she was 1)so surprised that I was actually in the car 2)asked if she hit my car 3)kept apologizing for doing so.... but there was no damage so I didn't really care.

The real test is what if the guy denied it, was unapologetic, or even insulting. That's where your personality comes in. But saying something initially to me is always the right thing to do.

Since you were with your Uncle (so there was backup) you probably could have said something. Question is, would you have wanted, expected, or asked the guy to pay to fix the scratch? If not then why bother saying anything. If so, then yeah you could have said something.

Also, please refrain from using the p word (or even the c word) that also describes a part of the female body. Many find it a derogatory word. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Next time I'm gonna have to say something. That is probably what I should have done. Again though, no hard feelings since there was barely a scratch anyways.

Sci fi does make a good point. Since it was only a small scratch though is there any law that would've required him to have to pay for damages? I know that saying "something" is a good idea, but what do I do afterwards? Would it be necessary to get his license plate, insurance, other information etc. to follow up on the case?

I'm not even old enough to drive myself, so I have no idea what to do in these car situations lol.

GrannySmith111 said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Next time I'm gonna have to say something. That is probably what I should have done. Again though, no hard feelings since there was barely a scratch anyways.

Sci fi does make a good point. Since it was only a small scratch though is there any law that would've required him to have to pay for damages? I know that saying "something" is a good idea, but what do I do afterwards? Would it be necessary to get his license plate, insurance, other information etc. to follow up on the case?

I'm not even old enough to drive myself, so I have no idea what to do in these car situations lol.

Usually in a minor fender bender, both drivers exchange contact and insurance information. If it's a more serious accident of course ambulance & police should be called.

-Teresa

Should the driver not want to exchange contact and insurance information though, would police need to have been called to report a hit and run? Even over a minor fender bender?

No, not always, the police don't like coming out unless it's 1000 bucks or more in damage. At least around here. If it's something you are going to claim through insurance it is a good idea to have a police report in case you have to take someone to court.

I once went shopping, came back to my car, and had a note from somebody saying something like, "Next time you hit somebody's car, at least leave a note." I wasn't the one who did it, so I was in a crappy mood for the rest of the week. Still, I do think that if you're in a situation like this, where you can actually see the that the other car has done the damage, you should say something.

Latest posts

Back