Circular Argument?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy in a relationship. If one believes everything they read on-line, that statement would be true. Maybe there's a think tank somewhere that employs people to write that statement all day long in blogs and reply all day long with that statement on message boards.

OK,

Why are you unhappy?
I don't have a girlfriend.
Why don't you have a girlfriend?
Because I'm unhappy.
Why are you unhappy?
Because I don't have a girlfriend.
Because I'm unhappy.

I'm really alone, because I think I might be the only person that sees the circular logic of the statement.

Is it possible to be happy without having a girlfriend?

A girlfriend will not make you happy when one is centrally unhappy, despite what it might seem. You're seeking validation from a woman, which is not the healthiest way about things.

Anything is possible.
I guess it depends on the individual and the GF.
And the various factors

Ive been in relationships with babes most guys woild die for.
I wasnt totally happy...but i wasnt totally misable either.
She didnt solved any of my issues
But spending time with her, going out with her, having sex with her,
I was far far from being miserable, unhappy or lonely.

Im in a relationship now.
Its not perfect and we definitely have challenges.
Im tottally happy with her even when we problems.

Ive also stay single for a while after teriable break up.
Stayinh single made me battler than batman.

Its my experience. Its not true for everyone.
As i dont really fit into whatever ideas other poeple ideas are.

You must learn how to answer these questions for yourself.

If you feel unhappy without a GF.
Its probably becuase yoursef is trying
to tell you to get a GF.

Learn how to trust in yourself.

While having someone can make you happy, it's not a cure-all thing. And just because you have a significant other doesn't mean you will be happy. I used to always want to slap those who said that if they just had a girlfriend/boyfriend, they'd be happy... But now, it doesn't make any difference. As long as they're happy, whether it's falsified or not, who am I to lay any judgment down on how they feel.

If your only reason for being unhappy is that you don't have a girlfriend, you are way ahead of a lot of people here.

IgnoredOne said:
A girlfriend will not make you happy when one is centrally unhappy, despite what it might seem. You're seeking validation from a woman, which is not the healthiest way about things.

+10 billion

PS This is not logic

Why are you unhappy?
I don't have a girlfriend.
Because I'm unhappy.
Why are you unhappy?
Because I don't have a girlfriend.
Because I'm unhappy.

It is always nice to have a 'friend' to share adventures in life with.... but it is not a must. One must love and be confident in self, before even trying to find love in another.

Sci-Fi said:
If your only reason for being unhappy is that you don't have a girlfriend, you are way ahead of a lot of people here.

Thanks, I'm glad to know that I'm further ahead than I thought. Yes, my only reason for being unhappy is that I am single. However, if my relationship status changes and i'm still unhappy, then I think I'll have a serious problem.

StatueInTheRain said:
Thanks, I'm glad to know that I'm further ahead than I thought. Yes, my only reason for being unhappy is that I am single. However, if my relationship status changes and i'm still unhappy, then I think I'll have a serious problem.

So you wish to get involved and then find out if you're still unhappy, but you cannot get involved because you're unhappy...this is not very helpful for you.

And fundamentally, you /will/ be a better partner if you can stand up and be your own person, for your future partner to develop with, rather than seeking validation whereupon it can become easy to cling.

IgnoredOne said:
StatueInTheRain said:

So you wish to get involved and then find out if you're still unhappy, but you cannot get involved because you're unhappy...this is not very helpful for you.

That's not what I said. I said I'm unhappy because I'm single. I did not say the reason I wanted a partner was because I wanted to find out if it was something else that made me happy.

I made a mistake posting this. I committed blasphemy. I questioned a religious belief, the religious belief being that if one's not happy being lonely, then they're not going to be happy being in a relationship.

I also don't get this "validation" thing. If someone's single and lonely, it must be because they want "validation", whatever the hell that is. It most certainly can't be because being single is being lonely, and it most definitely can't be because there's nobody to enjoy life with, and it can't be because the single person is on the outside looking in. No, there has to be a psychological term attached to it.

Maybe there is something to that validation thing. Next time I'm just not going to pay the attendant at the parking garage. I'll just tell him the parking ticket's need to be validated isn't healthy, so I shouldn't have to pay for parking. I wonder how far psychobabble will go with the parking attendant.

Latest posts

Back