College

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
This year, I started my freshman year of college. I'm doing ok I suppose but not as much as I want to. I guess I'm just having trouble settling in but I'm having trouble finding my place. I've tried some places and nothing is really working. I've been talking to some people but there is still some distance in the people I met. It seems like I'm not getting anywhere. I want to live and experience things but I guess I'm afraid and I don't know how.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first.

Sometimes friendships take time to develope, I remember the first year in college I didn't make any friends, but the next year I made some. Same happened with others. So maybe you just have to give it time... but trying things like going for a snack after class or studyng toghether, those things help a lot to make a good relationship.

Yes, most people have a difficult time making friends the first few semesters. Just remember there are others around you who are having the same difficult time. Try to do things that put you in their presence... then you can find things you have in common... like Felix said ... studying together ...you can also join clubs & groups that will also put you around others who are "new" & looking for friends too.

You have to put yourself out there. No one can do that for you. It's like selling a product... except this time it's you. :eek:

I'm in a similar situation as you - freshmen starting out in university but still haven't made any friends and hardly any acquaintances. Felix and Sprint are right when they say that it takes time, but I know how frustrating it is to go day by day and not have any real social contact with anyone.

Do you live on campus or do you commute? I live on campus, which should help me but I haven't taken advantage of it... If you commute, really the best way is to find any commuting groups if your school has them, or join clubs. Try to engage in conversation with others in your classes especially if they aren't talking to someone else already. I should do that too...hehe.

One thing to avoid is not doing anything. It's hard to push ourselves to engage in social activities, believe me I know, but it's probably the most important thing to do. Just don't do things that are against your beliefs (like perhaps drinking or drugs) no matter what. Let's work hard and hopefully things will turn out for the better! :)

Top three responses. :p

Absolutely everyone must be nervous, it's the first year of college! If you live in the dorms, all you have to do is talk to your room-mate and neighbors! :D

If you commute, then talk to people in class and join clubs.

Good luck.

No worries. Freshman year is hectic and nervous for everyone. Even the people who seem to have their honeysuckle together.

So don't worry. :) You'll settle in and find your way... make some acquaintances, find ways to explore yourself and your world...

...so just hang in there. :)

Latest posts

Back