Commentary on ALL

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reynard_muldrake

Reaction score
Recently, LonelySutton's thread in this subforum ("Tired of Failing") got hijacked by discussion of behavior on the boards. Anyone interested in catching up can start at the bottom of page 4 and continue from there. Preferring a new thread over extending the takeover of LonelySutton's post, I decided to move the discussion here. Keep in mind this isn't meant to incite a flame war or trolling. The prior discussion is meant to continue in a polite, but honest manner. Opinions on the forum? Criticism? Suggestions of improvement? Post them here.

reynard_muldrake said:
Recently, LonelySutton's thread in this subforum ("Tired of Failing") got hijacked by discussion of behavior on the boards. Anyone interested in catching up can start at the bottom of page 4 and continue from there. Preferring a new thread over extending the takeover of LonelySutton's post, I decided to move the discussion here. Keep in mind this isn't meant to incite a flame war or trolling. The prior discussion is meant to continue in a polite, but honest manner. Opinions on the forum? Criticism? Suggestions of improvement? Post them here.

I don't think anybody can really complain. Because if you don't like this forum then don't use it. It's as simple as that. Compared to other forums it's actually very good.

Triple Bogey said:
reynard_muldrake said:

I don't think anybody can really complain. Because if you don't like this forum then don't use it. It's as simple as that. Compared to other forums it's actually very good.

The problem is that a great many people have actually taken that course of action and that's the reason the forum is bordering on death these days. The forum has a lack of new posts and replies are slow in coming; if many more people choose to leave, then there won't be an ALL much longer...

This forum is great. This forum is full of great people. A lot of threads have gotten hijacked lately. I'm starting to think the entire issues section should just be changed to "Debate".

Triple Bogey said:
reynard_muldrake said:

It's not that simple to me. You can like the idea of the place while finding fault with rules or behaviors. Suggesting that people just leave, especially those who have nowhere to turn to for support, contradicts the whole idea of ALL to me. Why not at least listen to what they have to say first?

reynard_muldrake said:
BeyondShy said:
It's "Tired of Failing" but please go on.

Thank you for the correction. I have edited the title. Anything else?

Yeah, don't arbitrarily decide to move one of my threads in the future if you decide you don't like where it is going. Deal?

Triple Bogey said:

It sure is. No one tells you to log on here.

1122 said:
The problem is that a great many people have actually taken that course of action and that's the reason the forum is bordering on death these days. The forum has a lack of new posts and replies are slow in coming; if many more people choose to leave, then there won't be an ALL much longer...

It is? What website are you looking at?

1122 said:
Triple Bogey said:
reynard_muldrake said:

People leave and new people join, it always happens in every forum.

reynard_muldrake said:
Triple Bogey said:
reynard_muldrake said:

It's not that simple to me. You can like the idea of the place while finding fault with rules or behaviors. Suggesting that people just leave, especially those who have nowhere to turn to for support, contradicts the whole idea of ALL to me. Why not at least listen to what they have to say first?

It's up to the mods how it's run. There is no point to this debate.

BeyondShy said:
1122 said:

It is? What website are you looking at?

The same one I've been looking at for the past 3 years. This forum is FAR less active than it has ever been and a number of prominent posters have either closed their accounts entirely or are 'taking a break'. I'm still in contact with a lot of people who chose to leave and some that still post and a lot of them feel exactly the same way that I do.

Yeah, don't arbitrarily decide to move one of my threads in the future if you decide you don't like where it is going. Deal?

...you do realize you didn't start that post, right? I don't recall you ever contributing there at all, actually. I explained above: the discussion "Tired of Failing" got overstuffed and offtrack. Not wanting to contribute more to the chaos, I felt it essential to undertake the creation of an original thread. People who wish to talk about their issues with the board can come here. People wishing to aid the other thread's OP can go there. I really don't see a problem with this.

I've been here on and off since 2010. The forum has ups and downs, it always has and always will. The same can be said for ANY forum. There can be so many reasons for the lulls in activity, but I don't for one minute think it's because threads are being hijacked and people are arguing. No one seems to say anything to those who hijack threads and make them about themselves instead of the OP. The only time anyone says anything is when people disagree and argue.

There used to be a HELL of a lot more trolls and mean spirited people running rampant. It is a HELL of a lot better than it used to be, in those terms.

Sorry, but at the risk of certain comments by certain members (ahem, TB :p ), I have to agree with TB on this one. You don't HAVE to come here, you don't HAVE to post. Take the good with the bad, because, as I said before, this isn't some safe haven deserted island of utopia. Every person on here is "real life." Everything that happens here is "real life." There is no getting away from "real life" whether you are online or offline.

Personally my opinion is this. The moderating style on the forum has changed recently, whereas before there were more bans when certain members posted misogynistic or sexist material, now, threads of this nature are let run their course.

This makes this forum a lot more hostile in atmosphere than it used to be, and there are certain members that promulgate this in various ways, some more well known for this than others.

I feel frustrated by this, but there is nothing I can do.

If you will notice, in the thread you mentioned, the first post which started the "bickering" was posted was a post which included gender issues. It spiraled from there.

I really do feel this has been the crux of the issue lately and I feel it is something which needs to be moderated very closely or it takes over the entire forum and creates a hostile atmosphere.

However, having been here as long as I have, I know summers are very slow in terms of posts and threads. things usually pick up around winter when people are indoors more.

reynard_muldrake said:
...you do realize you didn't start that post, right? I don't recall you ever contributing there at all, actually. I explained above: the discussion "Tired of Failing" got overstuffed and offtrack. Not wanting to contribute more to the chaos, I felt it essential to undertake the creation of an original thread. People who wish to talk about their issues with the board can come here. People wishing to aid the other thread's OP can go there. I really don't see a problem with this.

Thank you for your guidance and direction in this matter.

BeyondShy said:
reynard_muldrake said:

Thank you for your guidance and direction in this matter.

Thank *you* for showing class and not resorting to sarcasm or rudeness. Very much appreciated.

Thank you for starting this thread, reynard.

Nobody is asking to be coddled here, just to be treated with a modicum of respect and dignity. My fear for ALL is that the voices of the many are being drowned out by the louder voices of the few. I don't think it's an altogether unreasonable hypothesis that there are members on this forum who are afraid to speak up about their issues because they fear being judged and ridiculed. I have spoken to more than one member on ALL who has noted this trend of post, attack, counterattack, retreat. These were not people who seemed prone to complaining, simply lonely people disheartened by the climate of hostility that pervades so much of this forum.

Surely those of you here who don't see the bigger issue realise that there are other members who simply are not being heard.

lifestream said:
just to be treated with a modicum of respect and dignity. My fear for ALL is that the voices of the many are being drowned out by the louder voices of the few.

Yes. I am with the group that expects respect and dignity and I am adding my voice to request that.

Some of the people that you are accusing of arguing and "post, counterattack, retreat" could be some of those that don't feel they are heard, so they resort to this so they ARE heard. Hello, entire post about it, they are heard, YAY, they win.....

Anyway, personally, this entire thread is bullshit, for the simple reason that, whether you are naming names or not, it's attacking people. I may or may not be one of those people and I really don't care whether I am or not, but it is attacking people nonetheless. You can say all you want that you want to get to the bottom of it and let people have a voice, but when people keep mentioning "certain individuals" that are basically being construed as the ruin of the forum, that's messed up. Making a brand new thread to call out certain people isn't doing anything but doing exactly what they are doing. Exactly what you (generalized you) are claiming needs to stop.

People here are shy, depressed, alone, lonely, "losers" by their own admission and whatever else. Others can not be lonely, want to help people or just simply want to be here for the enjoyable atmosphere that sometimes includes drama filled threads and your run of the mill bullshit. There are no requirements for being here. You can say respect and all this and all that, but the truth of the matter is, just being here doesn't guarantee you respect. Some feel respect is earned and sometimes people won't give respect because they don't know how or they are too depressed or angry to give it. That's another side of depression and loneliness. There is just as much bad in loneliness as there is good.

HoodedMonk said:
Personally my opinion is this. The moderating style on the forum has changed recently, whereas before there were more bans when certain members posted misogynistic or sexist material, now, threads of this nature are let run their course.

No they are not. Since you want to bring it up though, there is a big difference between what you think is misogynistic and what actually is misogynistic. When these "misogynistic" posts and threads are reported we look at them objectively, and usually always all agree on whether or not it is misogynistic. Those we do see as being such the poster is either warned or the thread is closed. It isn't as bad as it used to be by far. It is up to ones own interpretation of what is being said, luckily as a moderating staff we have 3 of us to interpret them and not just ones own opinion.

TheRealCallie said:
Some of the people that you are accusing of arguing and "post, counterattack, retreat" could be some of those that don't feel they are heard, so they resort to this so they ARE heard. Hello, entire post about it, they are heard, YAY, they win.....

Anyway, personally, this entire thread is bullshit, for the simple reason that, whether you are naming names or not, it's attacking people. I may or may not be one of those people and I really don't care whether I am or not, but it is attacking people nonetheless. You can say all you want that you want to get to the bottom of it and let people have a voice, but when people keep mentioning "certain individuals" that are basically being construed as the ruin of the forum, that's messed up. Making a brand new thread to call out certain people isn't doing anything but doing exactly what they are doing. Exactly what you (generalized you) are claiming needs to stop.

People here are shy, depressed, alone, lonely, "losers" by their own admission and whatever else. Others can not be lonely, want to help people or just simply want to be here for the enjoyable atmosphere that sometimes includes drama filled threads and your run of the mill bullshit. There are no requirements for being here. You can say respect and all this and all that, but the truth of the matter is, just being here doesn't guarantee you respect. Some feel respect is earned and sometimes people won't give respect because they don't know how or they are too depressed on angry to give it. That's another side of depression and loneliness. There is just as much bad in loneliness as there is good.

Nobody is attacking anyone here, Callie. The fact that names aren't being used yet most of us know who is being referred to is just a sad truth of this forum. Nobody has been called out or targeted for ridicule, this is simply a thread for people to air their grievances about ALL in a polite, respectful manner.

The thread is only two hours old and has garnered 150 views in that time, and around a dozen responses. Does that not tell you that people are watching but perhaps afraid to say anything for fear that it will be known they are unhappy with the state of affairs on ALL?

The fact that you feel this thread is 'bullshit' is lamentable, but the fact that you also felt the need to respond to it shows that you do care about how you are perceived on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back