Comparing yourself to other people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I totally, completely understand what the OP is saying. Everywhere I go, no matter what, I feel as if I do not belong, I feel strange, I feel they're looking at me, or something.

This wariness or paranoia, you decide which it is, it's just another burden on top of many other issues. Some have said to me it's the result of narcissism or feeling I'm important, but I really think it's more about, I just don't want to be criticized in any way. I have no self-concept, so automatically, I seem to think any criticism of me is a fact.

I used to compare myself with others all the time, until my situation became so different from that of most other people that it just doesn't make sense, a fish can't climb a tree and an elephant cannot hold its breath.

Have I compared myself to others? Yes. I used to be so bad as to think it was the rest of the world against me, like they were all in it together. A screwed up way of thinking for sure. I have felt that way when I was in high school because everyone else was interacting with others in the class and I just felt like the odd quiet one. If I had felt comfortable participating then it wouldn't have been like that.

I know that everyone is different and everybody has their issues, even really good looking and successful people. Nobody has a perfect life.

It's amazing how thoughts can really distort reality. :\

Yeah. I do. And it sucks. As for a person in general, I secretly compare myself to the guy one of my ex-girlfriends (who cheated on me; not with him) is with now. I know I'm better than him in every way as a man and overall human being, but why is she with him over me? If she cheated on me, why hasn't she cheated on him? She had a baby with him. I know, I'm an idiot for even doing this comparison or even caring anyway. It's just a negative flaw that I'll only ever admit on here.

I also have WWE and MMA shirts (yes, I like and watch pro wrestling, boxing and MMA; love all three, whether one is an entertainment and the other two are combat sports)... well, I'm so **** insecure about wearing a WWE or MMA shirt out in public. VERY insecure about it. I feel like if I wear a WWE shirt, people will think I'm a loser for being in my 20s and still watching pro wrestling. If I wear an MMA shirt, I feel like people will think I'm a poser-********* and that I'm just wearing the MMA shirt to look 'cool' and that I don't watch the sport when in reality I'm a huge fan and just enjoy the shirts because I like some of the designs and find them to be extremely comfortable!

But I am so **** insecure about it!

When I see other guys in public, looking comfortable and relaxed, wearing WWE shirts or MMA shirts, I envy the hell out of them. Why can't I be like that? There's no reason I can't be. Just a big time insecurity of mine.

I wish I could just go out and wear whatever the hell kind of shirt I want and not feel like such an inferior, insecure loser. No idea why I do this. And why can't I? I can, right? And you folks can, too? Yes? I think so... how do we manage to get over this crap???

Yes, I do compare myself to others and it's just very silly behavior. No one is perfect. Even the people we think are perfect, are not. Most likely they find flaws about themselves too. I am good enough, you're good enough as you are, everyone are! :)

Although I give the advice how one shouldn't compare to others because there is no way you can due to the way you are brought up differently and how culture, background, personality are all different.. I am guilty of comparing myself to others as well. I think it's a basic human thing to do...

Yeah, I compared myself to others and suffer from being overly self-conscious, although it has gotten better as I got older. I used to blush just talking to the lunch lady back in high school. What has helped me has mainly been making positive changes in things that I can change (like losing weight and finding more flattering clothes) and focusing my positive aspects as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back