Dating sites made me feel even worse about my chances

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess it's just a rigged system. Computers can't match someone, they aren't that smart...kind of why I don't trust dating sites.

blackdot said:
Speaking of dating sites. I went out last weekend with someone I met on POF. It wasn't a good date since she was a female of the texting era so I never could get to know her before hand.

The whole texting thing I never got into. I am only 24 but it seems like everyone my age does it. And I remember meeting women from online and they would ask me if I would text them and I would tell them I don't have texting. They would either assume I didn't want to speak to them or I would never hear from them again. Like really we can't have a vocal conversation?

I feel that texting is a lower pressure way of communicating with people. not unlike using this forum. I almost always prefer written communication over verbal especially if it's somebody that I don't know our am uncomfortable with. so I'd suggest getting a cheapo phone and maybe some kind of rollover plan so that you can text when you need to. think of it as an investment in getting a girlfriend. plus, smart phones are just cool and way convenient. I'm browsing this site and replying to you on my phone. :D

I have had multiple women give me their phone number so I could call them and talk and then when I call almost all of them refuse to answer the phone.
I've had some say that I should text them before we meet for a first date and I have to tell them I can't text.

What I mean about the "text era" is that women only talk in 1-3 line e-mails. They do their dating website stuff from their phones so they never actually communicate. The only person I have ever got close to was someone that actually knew how to write a message. She would answer my questions. She would ask me questions. She we talk about random things. Women now days just want to do messages in the really short form and I never can get to know them. If i can't get to know you then when we meet for the 1st date, it's going to be HORRIBLE! I can't talk about things to you if I don't know what it is you like.

blackdot said:
I have had multiple women give me their phone number so I could call them and talk and then when I call almost all of them refuse to answer the phone.
I've had some say that I should text them before we meet for a first date and I have to tell them I can't text.

What I mean about the "text era" is that women only talk in 1-3 line e-mails. They do their dating website stuff from their phones so they never actually communicate. The only person I have ever got close to was someone that actually knew how to write a message. She would answer my questions. She would ask me questions. She we talk about random things. Women now days just want to do messages in the really short form and I never can get to know them. If i can't get to know you then when we meet for the 1st date, it's going to be HORRIBLE! I can't talk about things to you if I don't know what it is you like.

I can see where this would be an issue, but what about if you just met someone out and about and asked them out? What if they accepted and wanted to see you the next day? What would you talk about with them?
I suppose it's not really done that way anymore these days, but it SHOULD be, dammit! :p

FreedomFromLiberty said:
I feel that texting is a lower pressure way of communicating with people. not unlike using this forum. I almost always prefer written communication over verbal especially if it's somebody that I don't know our am uncomfortable with. so I'd suggest getting a cheapo phone and maybe some kind of rollover plan so that you can text when you need to. think of it as an investment in getting a girlfriend. plus, smart phones are just cool and way convenient. I'm browsing this site and replying to you on my phone. :D

I have had the cheap phone before, no one would ever give me there number to text but the moment I got rid of it BAM everyone wants to text. I understand it being low pressure, but I am not throwing money at something I don't care to use only on the hopes that someone would want to speak to me.

Mike510 said:
FreedomFromLiberty said:

I have had the cheap phone before, no one would ever give me there number to text but the moment I got rid of it BAM everyone wants to text. I understand it being low pressure, but I am not throwing money at something I don't care to use only on the hopes that someone would want to speak to me.

Well...then you're placing limits on yourself in my opinion. If that's what the women you are interested want to do, then DO it. Texting is something that is common - dont reduce your possibilities because of tech-fail. :eek:

EveWasFramed said:
Mike510 said:
FreedomFromLiberty said:

Well...then you're placing limits on yourself in my opinion. If that's what the women you are interested want to do, then DO it. Texting is something that is common - dont reduce your possibilities because of tech-fail. :eek:

I have had women date before without having to use texting I am not sure why I would now. And it's not like I can just have it put back on my phone, there is a certain reaosn why I haven't had it put back on my phone.

EveWasFramed said:
blackdot said:

I can see where this would be an issue, but what about if you just met someone out and about and asked them out? What if they accepted and wanted to see you the next day? What would you talk about with them?
I suppose it's not really done that way anymore these days, but it SHOULD be, dammit! :p

I can't talk to strangers in person like that. How am I supposed to ask someone out if i don't know anything about them? Odds are extremely high that we aren't a match. They are probably married. Unless I knew who it was I was supposed to go ask out, I wouldn't be able to do that.

blackdot said:

I can't talk to strangers in person like that. How am I supposed to ask someone out if i don't know anything about them? Odds are extremely high that we aren't a match. They are probably married. Unless I knew who it was I was supposed to go ask out, I wouldn't be able to do that.
[/quote]

Well...I DO see the dilemma, of course, but what if on line dating didn't exist?? What would you do then, is what Im asking.
It used to be that you had to actually GO OUT with someone to learn anything about them. :p Anyone remember those days? lol

I don't claim to have the answers - Im just wondering what ANY of us would do if we had to rely on person to person interaction, with no use of technology. Frightening, isn't it? :D

blackdot said:

You could ask out girls you meet in the park, hiking at a trail, at the gym, even at the supermarket. Quit limiting yourself, man! But it's important to talk to them as you would anybody first, and then hopefully at some point you will learn about their availability, etc.

EveWasFramed said:
Well...I DO see the dilemma, of course, but what if on line dating didn't exist?? What would you do then, is what Im asking.

Not date since those sites are the only places I have found where there are some people looking to date, even if it's just 1 meeting.

Update on my daughter and POF dating site.

At first she was reluctant to use a dating site and used to spend her time hiding away in her room.We told her that prince charming was never going to knock on her door.
She agreed to give it a try with our help and began to chat and then meet up with a guy.
They had nothing in common to begin with, as she's a girly girl into handbags and shoes and glitter. He on the otherhand was into bikes and stock cars but gradually they found interests they could share together.

Now I have to announce that they engaged.

So to all single men and ladies give it a try and maybe you too could have a happy ending.[/size]

Tulip23 said:
Update on my daughter and POF dating site.

At first she was reluctant to use a dating site and used to spend her time hiding away in her room.We told her that prince charming was never going to knock on her door.
She agreed to give it a try with our help and began to chat and then meet up with a guy.
They had nothing in common to begin with, as she's a girly girl into handbags and shoes and glitter. He on the otherhand was into bikes and stock cars but gradually they found interests they could share together.

Now I have to announce that they engaged.

So to all single men and ladies give it a try and maybe you too could have a happy ending.[/size]

Well done them.😸 It sounds as if they (both your daughters and their partners) actually put some effort into finding each other .. With you to boot them up the backside a bit!

Thanks jags.

Yes it wasn't an easy task as she's tee-total and hates pubs/clubs so she was never going to meet someone the convential way.

You have to fight, as nothing is ever handed to you on a plate.

Thank goodness I haven't used any of those dating sites! So much creepy stories people tell... But maybe it is possible to someone find a love from there?

lonelyfairy said:
Thank goodness I haven't used any of those dating sites! So much creepy stories people tell... But maybe it is possible to someone find a love from there?

Forgive me for saying this, but wasn't that what Tulip was telling people 3 or four posts above this?

jaguarundi said:
lonelyfairy said:

Forgive me for saying this, but wasn't that what Tulip was telling people 3 or four posts above this?

Yes, I know. All the best for them :)

I've tried a dating site once... It was hilarious... I went on 2 dates & both of them turned out to be something out of horror stories... I'm sure there are some legitimately good people on it for a legitimate reasons... I think it's more of a shot in the dark... There's an old saying, "If you shoot high enough, it's more likely that you'll hit something even on your way down"... I think it's more of a number game as far as online dating goes... You'll have to sort through a lot of people to get to that right one, even more or so than the "off the grid" dating... One of the dates I went on, she starting talking about marriage on our 3rd date... Not that she asked me to marry her, she asked me how I felt about marriage & how many kids I would want if I got married... How many dates would it be enough to consider marriages & stuff like that...

Latest posts

Back