Disabled Facebook Today

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrE1986 said:
ladyforsaken said:
Lol yeah.. that's why I disable some of the feeds from certain people who do that. I think Facebook can be useful if used in positive ways.

It's an amazing information tool when used correctly, but the problem is most people use it to fish pout

Yeah. So the problem really is not Facebook, it's those people we have on our friends list. :p

ladyforsaken said:
MrE1986 said:
ladyforsaken said:
Lol yeah.. that's why I disable some of the feeds from certain people who do that. I think Facebook can be useful if used in positive ways.

It's an amazing information tool when used correctly, but the problem is most people use it to fish pout

Yeah. So the problem really is not Facebook, it's those people we have on our friends list. :p
The problem was having friends, hmm being anti social helped!

I'm tempted to cancel fb at the moment, there's been a huge influx of engagements and weddings showing up on my wall lately, and I'm getting sick of having other peoples' happiness repeatedly rubbed in my face

I disabled my facebook a few years back, had it reactivated over the summer then permanently deleted it back in October. There was little reason for me to maintain an account so I could be reminded how distant i grew from everyone else. I have other means to keep in touch with the three people I wanted too.

Klemon said:
I'm tempted to cancel fb at the moment, there's been a huge influx of engagements and weddings showing up on my wall lately, and I'm getting sick of having other peoples' happiness repeatedly rubbed in my face

I would just be happy for them.

I've not been on Facebook for a month now. I'm strangely proud of myself. Doubt I'm missing much anyway. Anyone important to me can be contacted via other means :p

Well, I reactivated FB and I found out at a NYE party that one of my married friends wanted to invite me to a Xmas dinner. When she went to look for me on FB and didn't see my name anywhere, her first thought was that I had unfriended her. She called her sister and said "Why would Case unfriend me?" To which the sister, who knows me far better, said "Trust me. He would NEVER unfriend you." (Which was true.)

Even though I could not have accepted her invite, it was nice to know about it. But I learned about this face-to-face, which is much of the reason I disabled FB. I have far too many distant acquaintances and not enough RL friends.

Time to focus on the real friends and less on the ones I let slip away. (I'll try to reconnect with a few of them, though.)

I just check my personal messages and I ignore/ not look at/scroll my newsfeed when I logged on occasionally my FB account. Can't avoid some people on my friend list posting non-sense and others treat it like a bragging wall nowadays. Makes me sick.

...someone I had a crush on recently deleted her profile about 2 weeks after an unwelcome friend request from me.

Hundreds of friends going back years, all those connections gone. Maybe I was the final straw, hard to say... but I can't remember feeling this bad about something.

I deactivated my FB around my birthday. Started a couple of weeks before and then reactivated it a couple of weeks after. The thought of being bombarded with birthday messages from a bunch of people who never talked to me otherwise made me sick.

Hi. Many hugs to you. FB sent me into a depression, too about two weeks ago. It OFTEN makes me feel that my life is not worthwhile because I don't have all the supportive, loving relationships that so many have. It does hurt. I don't blame you one bit.

But try to realize that even those who are posting such things, many of them have problems and, believe it or not, feel lonely. In fact in one article I read, those who post a lot often do it out of a need for attention and guess what? Loneliness! That's right. Not all appears as it seems.

It still bugs me, though. I keep it to keep abreast of events and to participate in the few forums where there is REAL sharing. And there are like a handful I actually like sharing with (although I cannot even say they are real friends).

For me meet up has been much more meaningful and real. That is where you have real face to face time and real conversation and sharing and, the possibility of making real connections. I feel more "alive" on meet up than FB. I feel so many of FB are phony and even though they are your "friend" they never post a "like" or give anything back. That last item really bugs me. I have given attention to many other people's posts but they can't be bothered to give back, even a bit? Just stupid. I actually defriended two people because of it. I couldn't stand it.

Have you tried meet up? That has really enhanced my life.

I post my photo's on there and get a few likes and that's it.
On New Years Eve I sent 10 messages to people saying 'Happy New Year' - I got 9 replies. All nice but I wonder how many would have sent me a message if I hadn't have bothered ?

Triple Bogey said:
On New Years Eve I sent 10 messages to people saying 'Happy New Year' - I got 9 replies. All nice but I wonder how many would have sent me a message if I hadn't have bothered ?

Perhaps none. But who cares. You're over thinking it. It's like when people send out mass texts on a holiday. In the end it's really more for you than for others.

The biggest problem I have with Facebook is that it is a time waster. I get on there, and keep on posting images and status updates, and before I know it, 4 hours have passed.

lostatsea said:
Triple Bogey said:

Perhaps none. But who cares. You're over thinking it. It's like when people send out mass texts on a holiday. In the end it's really more for you than for others.

it was just a whim, thought I would be friendly, a bit of new year cheer. I care, there is one person in my life apart from family who sends me texts every now and again. It's not replying to mine either. It's something I do from time to time, just leave it with a person and see if I am on their radar enough for them to get in touch. Most don't but at least I know.

Facebook sucks! Too many status updates about absolutely wonderfully perfect husbands, proud posts of kids' average report cards ( look how smart he is!), and bragging about the latest weekend getaway (with Perfect Husband). Ugh!
Not to mention the dreadfully meaningless memes that people seem to love sharing these days.

With that said, if anyone here would like to be fb friends, I'm game :D. I'm pretty boring though :)

-Teresa

HappyYogi said:
Hi. Many hugs to you. FB sent me into a depression, too about two weeks ago. It OFTEN makes me feel that my life is not worthwhile because I don't have all the supportive, loving relationships that so many have. It does hurt. I don't blame you one bit.

But try to realize that even those who are posting such things, many of them have problems and, believe it or not, feel lonely. In fact in one article I read, those who post a lot often do it out of a need for attention and guess what? Loneliness! That's right. Not all appears as it seems.

It still bugs me, though. I keep it to keep abreast of events and to participate in the few forums where there is REAL sharing. And there are like a handful I actually like sharing with (although I cannot even say they are real friends).

For me meet up has been much more meaningful and real. That is where you have real face to face time and real conversation and sharing and, the possibility of making real connections. I feel more "alive" on meet up than FB. I feel so many of FB are phony and even though they are your "friend" they never post a "like" or give anything back. That last item really bugs me. I have given attention to many other people's posts but they can't be bothered to give back, even a bit? Just stupid. I actually defriended two people because of it. I couldn't stand it.

Have you tried meet up? That has really enhanced my life.

I'm assuming you're talking to me since I'm the OP. If not, then ignore this. :D

I tried Meetup last year. I had a "one and done" experience. Maybe I'll try it again.

For me, FB is best when you are in contact with people that you see on a regular basis, OR with people who are genuinely your friends or family who simply don't live near you.

Part of this thread started because one of my best friends got upset that I didn't "Like" one of her posts. It's pressure like this that makes me want to dump it altogether.

But I still get something out of it. I have an artist friend who sells his art and he posts pics that I will "like" or comment on. I have a writer friend who gives updates on her latest novel, and I appreciate that. But during the holidays, seeing all the party-time pics, the family fun-time pics, and the big gatherings while I'm in my "cave" at home, gets to be too much.

Now that it's the new year, I'm feeling better about breaking the loneliness cycle.

i decided to finally deactivate my facebook account...i miss it no lie...now that its gone i feel like theres so much i want to say to girls i knew but never had the balls to talk to....but i know its for the better to deactivate it and save me from my self pity

Hi! I just deactivated my facebook account about ten days ago. It's the best thing you will do. Facebook is useless and make you more needy. You don't need facebook or any other social network.

I just read an article written by a scientist yesterday that says that facebook is going to loose 80% of its members in the next three years. Young people are leaving this website rapidly in the recent past.

Latest posts

Back