Disabled Facebook Today

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say "well done" - I've never used farcebook and never intend to. I think it's entirely a bad thing. It's for the sheep of this world (who unfortunately are the majority!)

Well, I don't feel like celebrating. It's a culmination of my friends not contacting me, not responding to me, not acting like they care about me.

It's like everyone I know is busy. Too busy to have me in their lives.

Suspending Facebook for me is like cutting myself off with almost every friend I know. So I don't see that as a cause for feeling triumphant.

If I did it, within a few days some people will want to know where I have gone !
I like facebook. You totally control what you see on your page anyway.
If somebody gets on your nerves then delete them.

I left FB in October last year after I had spent about one year there to reconnect with some people. And I did it the same way as you did, Case. Didn't tell anybody about it although my friend list only consisted of a mere 10 friends which I considered 'real' friends. Real enough at least. But it still took a few months till anybody actually realized I was gone. Even my best friends. But here's one major problem...most of my friends had at least 50 to 100 friends. And although I considered some of them my best friends I realized that I lost the position of 'best friend' in their book at long time ago. So if you don't have daily or weekly contact with these people you practically vanish...

Since most of my friends are younger or just slightly older than me I was never confronted with pictures of 'Perfect families' or 'Happy couples'...luckily. Just a few party pictures from time to time. But that wasn't a problem. Instead I caught myself numerous times reaching out to people...mostly just in private messages. But at a few occasions I wrote posts full of pure desperation for all my friends to read. Sometimes I got a response, sometimes I didn't. The result was the same. In the end I just felt ashamed of myself because I forced everybody into a corner that way.

I was completely out of touch...that's not what anybody should join FB for. To feel even lonelier and disconnected than before. Like I was the only one that couldn't fit in with all the lively people. My life didn't seem worth sharing. But I didn't want to be another poor sob that used FB just as his personal outlet. And I knew I would continue to whine and post depressing things if I stayed any longer...no matter how often I told myself I would quit. So I left. Eradicating the sheer option to whine somewhere.

I looked back a couple of times, but I rarely had regrets. I still have contact to most of my friends but in other (healthier) ways. And more than half a year later there sure are some who don't know that I left. But I realized I probably left their lives a long time ago - FB aside.

workaloneuk said:
I say "well done" - I've never used farcebook and never intend to. I think it's entirely a bad thing. It's for the sheep of this world (who unfortunately are the majority!)

So, I'm a sheep, am I? lol
Hmm, maybe the black one..... :p

TheRealCallie said:
workaloneuk said:

So, I'm a sheep, am I? lol
Hmm, maybe the black one..... :p

I guess I am a sheep too. :\

Can I be a red and black one at least?

I disabled mine for the final time about 3 weeks ago. And no one has asked me why. So it's all good.

It was also a negative experience for me, so I am not celebrating. But I am enjoying not being there.

So, here's an update: I felt that suspending my account could appear to be an insulting move on my part. After all, to my friends, it looks like I have callously "unfriended" them without cause, and I did not want to send that message to certain people. There are people I like very much on my friends list who I felt deserved some kind of explanation of my actions.

Therefore, I reactivated my account and wrote a post telling people that I was taking time off from FB. I included a contact email in case anyone needed to get my phone number. That way, if anyone looks, they'll see my email and a reason for why I am not active on the site. Plus, I will be removing the app from my phone, so I am not tempted to use it every two seconds like before.

As I may have said earlier in this thread, it's not FB that's the problem. *I* am the problem, and I have not enjoyed the benefits of FB that others enjoy. Maybe at some future date, I will re-establish my FB usage. But for now, it's best to remove it as a temptation because it's hogging up precious brain space that could be used in other ways.

This is an interesting thread. Question Case. You say that you get Likes and Comments on things but there is no real interaction. My question is, what are your expectations of Facebook? I don't think Facebook is the problem. I don't think you are the problem. But I do think you may be wanting to use it in a way it is not designed for, deep meaningful interactions with people. If you are in fact getting likes and comments, then you are getting exactly what Facebook was designed for.

And for everyone else, I too must be a sheep. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends, family that reside out of state, old military buddies and so many more.

RockerChick said:
This is an interesting thread. Question Case. You say that you get Likes and Comments on things but there is no real interaction. My question is, what are your expectations of Facebook? I don't think Facebook is the problem. I don't think you are the problem. But I do think you may be wanting to use it in a way it is not designed for, deep meaningful interactions with people. If you are in fact getting likes and comments, then you are getting exactly what Facebook was designed for.

Hi, RC. You say I am not the problem, but I am. In fact, your comment above (bolded) agrees. My problem is that I am seeking more than Facebook can provide. I feel I need to focus on building more personal interactions in my real life. Once I feel better about the social options I have without Facebook, I can return to the site with a better outlook.

And, in case anyone was unaware, I did not make the "sheep" comment. That was another user, and I have a different opinion.

Case said:
Hi, RC. You say I am not the problem, but I am. In fact, your comment above (bolded) agrees. My problem is that I am seeking more than Facebook can provide. I feel I need to focus on building more personal interactions in my real life. Once I feel better about the social options I have without Facebook, I can return to the site with a better outlook.

And, in case anyone was unaware, I did not make the "sheep" comment. That was another user, and I have a different opinion.

Oh I know you didn't say that (the sheep comment).

Well I really hope you find the meaningful relationships you are seeking. I can count on 2 hands how many people outside of family are "meaningful" in my life out of 34 years. So tread cautiously when seeking a confidant.

I don't know where you live, but if it's in the states, have you tried meetup.com? It's a great website that many people use to connect in real life with people who carry the same interests as you! Just a suggestion :)

RockerChick said:
Well I really hope you find the meaningful relationships you are seeking. I can count on 2 hands how many people outside of family are "meaningful" in my life out of 34 years. So tread cautiously when seeking a confidant.

You and I are similar in that I also have a small number of people (in my offline life) I can truly count on if I really need a friend. That being said, only one of them is reasonably available at the moment and I don't want to overwhelm her. :D

RockerChick said:
I don't know where you live, but if it's in the states, have you tried meetup.com? It's a great website that many people use to connect in real life with people who carry the same interests as you! Just a suggestion :)

I live in California, and you're right about Meetup.com. I have been to a few Meetups in the last year or so. It's a great resource for meeting new people. My current mission is to find groups that meet more regularly. I appreciate the suggestion. :)

Case said:

I know it wasn't you - you wouldn't say something like that. At least from what I know of you on here. :)

And good luck with trying out other ways in meeting people. Keep us updated, yeah.

ladyforsaken said:
Case said:

I know it wasn't you - you wouldn't say something like that. At least from what I know of you on here. :)

And good luck with trying out other ways in meeting people. Keep us updated, yeah.

Thanks, LadyF. I will update the forum as I progress. Despite my leaving FB, I'll still be posting here. :D

I disabled my Facebook after I got dumped. I couldn't take seeing her on Facebook in a new relationship only a week after dumping me. It hurts too much to be on Facebook right now.

I have found that I don't miss it much. It was nice to chat with people from time to time but I found that it was mostly me talking to myself. People didn't really listen to what I had to say. I can talk to myself without facebook lol

VeganAtheist said:
I disabled my Facebook after I got dumped. I couldn't take seeing her on Facebook in a new relationship only a week after dumping me. It hurts too much to be on Facebook right now.

I have found that I don't miss it much. It was nice to chat with people from time to time but I found that it was mostly me talking to myself. People didn't really listen to what I had to say. I can talk to myself without facebook lol

That must have been rough man. I never had facebook when I broke up with my last gf but if that happened to me I'd be crippled.

I don't have any social media, I'm only found here :3 I think I've just become quite comfortable with my loneliness

I am considering doing it myself... though one thing that keeps me from doing it is that I have some friends that I just couldn't keep up with otherwise. But I hate the way i get ignored when I post things.

Mr. Paul what a cute GIF.

I considered deactivating a couple of times and ended up doing it once or twice due to some old 'friends' giving me a hard time.. Some days, when I'm feeling ignored, I thinking about doing it or deleting it altogether. But like others said, I do have the occasional person I talk to on there.. It's just the most easiest way to communicate, I'm trying not to go on there as much though.

I haven't used Facebook in over three years. I just see no need to talk to people I grew up with and hated, or socialize with coworkers outside of work via the internet. If they want to talk or hang out, they have my number.

I felt no separation anxiety from it because I wasn't addicted. I was actually pretty relieved because I no longer had to put on a show or pretend I cared about other people's shows.

Latest posts

Back