Do women like "manly" men?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Among the Sleep

Reaction score
Obviously, it's different for every woman, you can't just make blanket statements. But I think it's a biological thing, isn't it? I'm asking because I'm quite the opposite of a "manly" man. I look a few years younger than I am, I don't even grow that much facial hair. I have somewhat of a soft voice, I have no aggression in me (not that aggression is sexy to women), I'm a little pudgy, I have a really goofy personality. I'm an extremely funny person, I have that going for me. But to me the idea that women love funny guys is the biggest lie in the world, cause I keep people laughing constantly and it doesn't help me. Is it possible to be like, too goofy? Too funny? Like if a guy is just cracking jokes constantly does it turn you off to him as a potential partner for some reason? Is it possible that women just like, don't take me seriously? 23 years of striking out with women has just left me confused. Cause I feel like I'm an average looking guy with a really nice personality and I just don't get much attention. I think I might give off a bit of an "I hate myself" vibe, which doesn't help. But I'm very unmanly and I guess low on confidence. Ugh, I'm so lonely. Sick of being such a nothing. Blah. I need a shot of vodka and a hug.

Every woman likes a different type of guy. That's the answer. You can't really generalize.

As far as manly men, some studies have shown that at certain points in their menstrual cycle, women desire more manly men, and at other times, they desire more feminine men. And that younger women go more for alpha males, and eventually settle down with beta males.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Every woman likes a different type of guy. That's the answer. You can't really generalize.

As far as manly men, some studies have shown that at certain points in their menstrual cycle, women desire more manly men, and at other times, they desire more feminine men. And that younger women go more for alpha males, and eventually settle down with beta males.

That last part definitely makes sense. Some guys my age man (I'm 23), they just have cum pouring out of their eyes constantly, and when I see them with girls I'm just like WTF!? How can a nice fella like me be such a lonely goose egg when these guys get girls? Just need to be patient I guess. I wise man once told me "Patience is a virtue, but it's also an enormous pain in the dick". Those words ring very true.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

This

This indeed-ly-doo

Have a look at the "wierd crush" sections of some womens magazines, I wouldn't say any of those guys are "manly men"

Also out of interest, what's your definition of a manly man?

jzinsky said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

This

This indeed-ly-doo

Have a look at the "wierd crush" sections of some womens magazines, I wouldn't say any of those guys are "manly men"

Also out of interest, what's your definition of a manly man?

honeysuckle... I dunno. Not me. I think it's just an inferiority complex. When I see handsome men with beards and self esteem it just makes me feel threatened and sad

Your problem isn't with you , its in the fact you compare yourself to different people.

Work on who you are and make the best with what you have, you'll find someone.

As for this Alpha male/beta male stone tablet stuff, pay little attention to that and just focus on you.

Smokey said:
Your problem isn't with you , its in the fact you compare yourself to different people.

Work on who you are and make the best with what you have, you'll find someone.

As for this Alpha male/beta male stone tablet stuff, pay little attention to that and just focus on you.

Yeah, just become an awesome man, who wouldn't want that?

As has been said already, different women go for different types of dudes. What someone said about cycles is interesting, but you should disregard the alpha/beta male dichotomy. Do what you have to do to get stuff done. Don't set out to assert yourself in inappropriate situations but don't be a doormat, either. "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Also, maybe this should have been posted in Questions for the Women.

Among the Sleep said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:

That last part definitely makes sense. Some guys my age man (I'm 23), they just have cum pouring out of their eyes constantly, and when I see them with girls I'm just like WTF!? How can a nice fella like me be such a lonely goose egg when these guys get girls? Just need to be patient I guess. I wise man once told me "Patience is a virtue, but it's also an enormous pain in the dick". Those words ring very true.

This reminds me. I should go PM people on OkCupid instead of waiting for something to drop in my lap.

I equate facial hair to manliness. As you can see genetics was not on my side.

Funny the first time all the men at work started Movember together, the girls kept giggling and staring and talking about how 'gross' it is. Good or bad? Don't care. They were still looking at me and talking about me. Hatersgonnahate!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 19
Asians generally don't have lots of facial hair.. yet there's billions with roughly your traits. I wouldn't worry.

Are you by any chance talking about No Shave November? I follow that religiously!

I need the brahs to keep me motivated. It gets uncomfortable lol. I would have no issues if my manliness came in the form of Brian Wilson. That is just legendary.

Yeah the appearance, but not so much the personality of a manly man. I like a man in touch with his emotional side. ;)

Manly? perhaps not feature but behavior. Handyman anyone?

there is also a fine line between keeping yourself clean.. and pampering.
-take showers, wash every spot. could be manly.
-pluck eyebrows. probably not so manly.

now, im not saying women only go for manly man. because the same can be said for men. some men like boyish girls, get rough out on the grass or get dirty under the car. perhaps some women like men that pamper themselves, i dont know. it can swing every way.

i heard someone say one time with the effect of... "to want it from someone, you have to be it yourself." if you want a clean girl, you have to be clean etc etc etc.

Not entirely sure...but perhaps more men like girls that are willing to get her hands dirty than girls like men who pamper themselves a la manicures, facials, and beading. Does Danica Patrick count? Maybe not..

I think different types of girls are attracted to different types of man. As someone else here pointed out, I think it's rediculous that some (well, quite a lot of) girls fall for gigantic douchebags. But then again, I don't really want to have anything to do with that type of girl. I think you shouldn't try to change yourself too much to seduce a woman or to find a relationship. If you're just acting like you're someone else nothing good can come of it anyway. It sounds cliche but I think you should just be yourself and work on yourself. Don't try too hard to be funny (don't know if you do), being the funny guy "who's just always trying to be funny" isn't a good thing as far as I know (actually being a funny person is a good thing, but obviously you also have to show your "normal/serious" side).

You can get into this academically if you want MellyVinelli. But there'll still be some women out there who are in relationships with metrosexuals who pamper themselves. In fact some people think differently than you do. Some men believe most women like clean shaven men instead of men with beards. How we feel, and what we believe, often has more to do with how we feel about ourselves than anything else.

I know someone who is insecure with his masculinity. I'm friends with a bodybuilder. Lot's of roids, lots of working out, lots of going to the gym to be ripped. He's the stereotypical ancient Greek sculpture by Kritios come to life. And the women loath him for his terrible personality. Sometimes being secure with ourselves and our own appearance is the best place to be. Both men and women can be upset with themselves and their appearances. Whatever the case, whether or not you do fit your own ideals of manliness, choosing to be more considerate of yourself is always a healthy choice. Always. Because thinking of yourself as anything less than a man, is insecure and is incredibly painful for anyone. I hope your not beating yourself up here, and that you'll choose to talk about things if your going through a rough time.

I just need to know if women like awesome men - 'cos thats my classification.

Latest posts

Back