Do you fear death?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fear death only the the extent that when my time comes, I should realise that my life could have been so much more fulfilling had I not been so fearful, lazy or apathetic. TBH, I find this a pretty scary thought.

Hi-
I fear that I might die before my young daughter is old enough to take care of herself. I don't expect to die young but none of us have a contract with god on when we're going to kick the bucket. I also fear seeing my daughter die before me. Again, I don't expect that to happen but I think it's safe to say that is every parent's (that loves their child) worst fear. When you are literally charged with protecting another person's life, your whole perspective on your own life changes.

Teresa

Just_Some_Dude said:
having actually died once myself. i can say, yeah, it's just a little scary. trust me when your time comes, you'll be shitting bricks.

Yeah. I'll say that it terrifies me, but I am remembering the experience I had when I was bleeding out during the labor with my son. I had an experience that I can only describe as mortal terror. It's like some primal mammalian instinct, I swear I could smell death and see a darkness rushing in.

Granted, it was probably associated with going into hemorrhagic shock -I lost almost half my body's blood volume in a relatively quick time period - and the experience had a borderline hallucinatory quality to it, but I swear the ragged edges of blackness in my field of vision looked like a figure cloaked in black coming for me.

It was terrifying. I wasn't thinking of any great adventure or peaceful transition: I was thinking that my son was dead or dying and that most likely so was I.

Yes, I do. I fear hallucinations, panic, confusion and pain as my brain dies, and I hate the thought of nonexistence.

I've been in several situations that brought me close to death, though I was never actually mortally/seriously physically harmed during these situations, so I guess I might have lacked that experience of feeling helpless and unable to fix things on my own. To be honest, in those times when I was close to death, I was mostly just focused on getting myself out of the situation or bringing the issue to a close. *shrug*

So I've never really had to sit and watch death come at me while I could do nothing about it. That might be a bit scary, but I don't think that will be how I die. Like I've said before in this thread, I wanna go out violently and awake! :D lol

Nah, i don't fear the death itself, actually i am waiting for it. Few times i was forcing it but for different reasons didn't manage to do it. Desire to end my crappy story is back but the reasons that were holding me almost gone. My mom is still alive but my desire is now stronger and i care less of being selfish than before. Until my desire to die didn't completely overcome my reasons to live i am searching for ways to prevent it because i understand that it would be wrong. Staying somewhere alone only grows my seek desire but beeing inside group of people makes everything worse at the end of meeting. So, don't know what to do really.

cheaptrickfan said:
Just_Some_Dude said:
having actually died once myself. i can say, yeah, it's just a little scary. trust me when your time comes, you'll be shitting bricks.

Yeah. I'll say that it terrifies me, but I am remembering the experience I had when I was bleeding out during the labor with my son. I had an experience that I can only describe as mortal terror. It's like some primal mammalian instinct, I swear I could smell death and see a darkness rushing in.

Granted, it was probably associated with going into hemorrhagic shock -I lost almost half my body's blood volume in a relatively quick time period - and the experience had a borderline hallucinatory quality to it, but I swear the ragged edges of blackness in my field of vision looked like a figure cloaked in black coming for me.

It was terrifying. I wasn't thinking of any great adventure or peaceful transition: I was thinking that my son was dead or dying and that most likely so was I.

What you experienced was a hypnogogic hallicination i have experienced them myself in a state of "sleep paralysis" where people feel presences and can see and hear and feel things there with them these are the basis for most of the ghost stories that you hear as a result i do not like horror movies or anything too dark and negative

Sleep paralysis scares the honeysuckle out of me. :p lol

It's that place between consciousness and unconsciousness, where your mind is awake but your body is not, so you find yourself unable to move and you distinctly feel another "presence" in the room. That "presence" is just your mind's way of recognizing that your body is there (but asleep and therefore unable to be controlled), and it feels weird and freaky. lol

huggybear said:
cheaptrickfan said:

What you experienced was a hypnogogic hallicination i have experienced them myself in a state of "sleep paralysis" where people feel presences and can see and hear and feel things there with them these are the basis for most of the ghost stories that you hear as a result i do not like horror movies or anything too dark and negative

As I understand it, if a hypnagogic hallucination occurs, it happens during that in-between state between wakefulness and lapsing into sleep.

I can tell you that when I was wheeled into the operating room, bleeding out at an alarming rate and with a full complement of OB surgical staff running around in a panic, I was about as far from falling asleep as I have ever been in my life.

More to the point, my doctor, who actually holds an MD, explained to me later on that what I had experienced was a result of hemorrhagic shock.

i've experienced sleep paralysis and waking dreams, and it is nothing short of pure, mortal terror.

Just_Some_Dude said:
i've experienced sleep paralysis and waking dreams, and it is nothing short of pure, mortal terror.

Sure, I had a lucid dream that haunted me for years, but the experience I was describing above was something quite different.

I don't fear the concept of death, or the fact that I will eventually die. But I instinctively fear such things as the immediate threat of severe physical injury. Pain hurts.

cheaptrickfan said:
Just_Some_Dude said:

Sure, I had a lucid dream that haunted me for years, but the experience I was describing above was something quite different.

i know :)

i didn't before, not at all. actually almost what some would think a very dangerous non-fear of death. then around 3 years ago, the fear of death actually overtook me, and i still have not been able to shake it. i don't know why.

I don't think it's possible to stop existing. We're people, we think and feel. We will continue to think and feel in the afterlife, or whatever when we die.

I don't fear death. But I don't really want to die. I'm not religious but I think we're all here for a reason, and all the honeysuckle I've done to myself and lived I reckon I'm probably being saved for some purpose.

what is there to fear? you just die and that's it.
i fear of getting chopped in pieces and dying painfully and slowly.

Latest posts

Back