Do you fear death?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IgnoredOne said:
paulo said:
are you threathening me ?? :p
i dont own a PS3 so your gonne have to settle for an Xbox :p

but yes i would like to find out but im not in a hurry.
actually i would like to know, but unfortunately its not something anyone can tell me.

You get 72 virgins. It has been told!

whahaha yeah but by whom.
id have enough difficulty with just 1 thank you.
what the H@ll am i gonne do with 72 O.O
and i wasnt planning on going out with a bang anyway.
or maybe thats what hell is, 72 naging virgins for all eterinty ??

yea i don't fear death either nor i am scared of anything. if not for my parents i would have gone for dangerous expeditions and would have challenged death. i am not attatched to anything or anyone in this world and have no feelings for anyone after what all has happened in the past it cannot get any worse for me now. when i sleep daily at night i hope i don't get up the next morning.. that's how i am taking one day at a time..

Due to recent events, my daughter started having accute fears about the inevitability of death, wether it be her own or all of ours. I honestly have no idea how to deal with or ease this, so I'm open to advice.

As for me, I'm terrified of death. The Reaper has always been my enemy, I've cheated her a couple of times and always called that "that ***** that won't get it easy from me". Some days it's alright, others I realize I'll eventually fade into nothingness (I do not believe in Heaven, Hell or afterlife mumbo jumbo, mainly because why the hell would I be so lucky as to have eternal life in happiness?) and ponder inexistence and it scares me. And saddens me. To think all of this is for nothing.

If there is, though, can I trade in 72 virgins for 72 women of experience not doing anything particular that weekend? ;-)

No. I am afraid of the diseases of aging. My mother-in-law terrifies me with her tumors and mobility aids. I suppose I am afraid of being dependant on someone else to alleviate my suffering and in general.

My elderly neighbour puts the euthanasia magazine in my post box which is nice but one must be a Dutch citizen to be euthanized (I'm not).
I have a 'Do Not Re-animate' key-ring, lol.

I don't have any advice for you Richard. My son never struggled with the concept of death or seemed exceptionally upset when people died. I believe in all kinds of mumbo jumbo, personally :)

Sarah G said:
No. I am afraid of the diseases of aging. My mother-in-law terrifies me with her tumors and mobility aids. I suppose I am afraid of being dependant on someone else to alleviate my suffering and in general.

My elderly neighbour puts the euthanasia magazine in my post box which is nice but one must be a Dutch citizen to be euthanized (I'm not).
I have a 'Do Not Re-animate' key-ring, lol.

I don't have any advice for you Richard. My son never struggled with the concept of death or seemed exceptionally upset when people died.  I believe in all kinds of mumbo jumbo, personally :)

Thanks. I used to as well. Probably more mumble jumble than most, actually.
Probably why reality hit so hard when it reared it's head.
At 14, almost 15, with what she's lived through, I don't know how I can alleviate her fears. They weren't as present before.
They're ironically the same as mine. Only thing I got is to try not to think about it.

I'm afraid of the diseases of aging too. As a caregiver of a 93 yr old mother who's dying slowly and messily, if it comes to that for me, I'll take a quick exit because I won't have anyone to care for me like she does.

Also: I don't want to go until I've lived some more....there are just too many things I haven't experienced yet.

Also: FWIW I do believe in an afterlife where we get the consequences of the life we lived in this world. Don't have any evidence, just the belief.

Not really. It's inevitable, so why worry about it? I'm more curious than fearful about the subject - it's been a fascination of mine since childhood. I'm one of those kooky people who enjoy visiting graveyards - any new place I visit, I always make sure to take in the local cemetery. It's a comforting place, quiet and peaceful and rich with history. When my father died a couple of years ago, I went through a period of wanting to change careers - I was seriously contemplating studying to become a death doula/midwife or a career in hospice. I decided against it, mostly because of my age - I think if I were younger and just starting out on a career path it's a journey I would take.

Really, my only fear of death is not for myself but others. The fear of losing the people I love and rely on in my life.

I think of death a lot. But I don’t think it’s fear. What I fear is leaving this world without executing my full purpose.

Moetan21 said:
I think of death a lot. But I don’t think it’s fear. What I fear is leaving this world without executing my full purpose.

That's interesting.
Have you discovered your purpose yet?

Not my own death. Because I don't think much about it, but when death arrives, I might.
What haunts me more is the thought of death of loved ones.

Death fears me
Their not sure which team will get me lol

There have been moments when I wanted to die. Like, really. For different and pretty serious reasons.
Recently I had an experience where I thought I was going to die, had I taken just one more step forward at a certain time and place. Luckily I didn't and it made me think about what was going to happen if I did die right there and then. I felt chills to the thought of losing my chance to live the life I've been aiming for. I felt sad because I wouldn't have been able to spend a lifetime with who I want.
Then I realized I don't fear death itself, I fear that it could come before I've finished living.

TheRealCallie said:
I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of what will happen to my kids if I die.

Very much this

I don't fear dying myself, but I do worry about what would happen to my child if I were to (no matter how much pre-planning you put into these things 'just in case')

I do fear losing other people though

I used to fear death. But now not at all, I will be ready when it happens (if I see it coming). I am not sure what has changed other than watching a dearly loved one pass on, or that I have felt so much pain in this life it makes my soul feel old and tired. As others have said I worry about my kids, let us hope it happens once they are adults.

I know my experience is hardly unique, but death stopped being scary a long time ago. Not that I'm a brave man, quite the opposite, in fact. The pain associated with dying scares me a lot.

But being dead doesn't seem scary at all. A heart can only handle so much pain and self-loathing before death stops being an angry skeleton in a dark robe, and starts looking like a big, friendly Snuffleupagus with an understanding grin on his face, reminding you in a calm voice that someday you can hop on his back and he'll carry you away from the hurt forever.

Latest posts

Back