Do you have a fear of being single for the rest of your life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
Alonewith2cats said:
VanillaCreme said:
Alonewith2cats said:
Anyone who is lonely has a gap or hole in their heart or life. An isolated chimpanzee has this same gap. You can't put it in an enclosure by itself, it's a social animal. People need other people and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Of course this message of people having an issue for needing another person gets repeated over and over in our world. Be happy alone is the message being conveyed to people who naturally are hardwired to connect with other human beings. This doesn't mean we should be overly dependent on others. We should not be independent or dependent, we should be interdependent, that combines both independence and dependence and of course there has to be reciprocation on both sides. It's a balance. We are responsible to a large extent for our own well-being, this is true, but I dislike the message of making people feel wrong for needing others. No offense. Honestly, no matter how pathetic this makes me as a human being or if it makes anyone think I have issues if I have to live alone and be single for the rest of my life I'm not going to like it. Here is an example. I enjoy cooking. I cook for myself. I take care of myself but it would give me so much more pleasure and happiness if I was cooking for more than one, if someone needed me too. I would feel more of a sense of purpose and connection and yes, I know in my heart this would make me happier. Living for just myself really gets old after a while.

But you can't say that about everyone. Who's to say that being lonely or alone is a bad thing for everyone? It's not. Some people prefer to be loners. Some people have no problem, no second thoughts about being by themselves. I've always been like that myself. I don't mind being alone. I never said there was anything wrong with people feeling like they want to be around others, or to be needed. There's no shame in being social or wanting to be social. But not everyone needs that.

I'm not saying this about everyone. I just don't want anyone to tell me that I have an issue just because I am not content with the idea of my single status being a permanent condition, temporarily I can deal with it but not forever, and because I feel that for me something is missing. I can't change how I feel about it.

You're free to feel how you wish. I didn't mean to generalize, and I apologize if it seemed that way. That's why I said personally because I can only speak for myself.

This is not how I wish to feel. It's simply how I feel. IMHO there is nothing wrong with wanting validation. However this is not my reason for wanting to be in a relationship and eventually get married. For me it's all about wanting the opposite of isolation, human contact, love, companionship, intimacy, physical closeness, connection. I have to find it and have many years of it before I die. That's it. Plain and simple. After all we only have one life. Besides I can't help it if I feel deprived of hugs, kisses, hand-holding, cuddling, sex and would feel even more deprived if I went without this my whole life.

I recently saw a face book post. It was one of those cliches that gets dished out to single people all the time. It has it's truth but I find it annoying. It said "Learn to be happy alone, that way being with a partner will be out of choice, not need." My point is not all of us single people who are not happy alone are this stupid. One reason I'll stay single for as long as I have to is because I'm not going to be with someone I don't really want to be with out of need. Of course I'm going to choose someone out of love and I'll wait for it no matter how long it takes. This is how these kind of cliches can be insulting to single people.

I'm thinking about leaving the forum. I think my posts come across to people as needy and desperate which is not how I would describe myself but I can't help but feel people here may be thinking that about me which is embarrassing for me. And I disagree a lot. Besides I've decided I don't want to waste my time complaining about loneliness on a chat forum. I should spend that time taking action doing whatever I can to fight against loneliness, pursue what I want and make life as wonderful is possible. It was nice meeting everyone here. Ciao.

Alonewith2cats said:
One reason I'll stay single for as long as I have to is because I'm not going to be with someone I don't really want to be with out of need. Of course I'm going to choose someone out of love and I'll wait for it no matter how long it takes.

This was my point. I suppose I could have been less harsh with my words. I've not been in a relationship my entire life. I know what it's like to be single, and I do remember wanting to be with someone. I just see so many people force relationships on themselves simply because they didn't want to be alone. And even when I was single, I wondered why that occurred. I've said for years, I'd rather be alone, by myself, than to be in a relationship that's just not for me.

I have been alone 95% of my adult life, where i only see a store clerk as only human contact

the other 5% was involvement with sociopaths who frauded and abandoned me when done using me.

Because this is my situation WITH using every effort, every method possible my entire adult life, even using around 30 to 35 social sites and in the past going out alone hundreds of times........because of that, i would say I do fear being single for life, which would be worse than death of course, its utter destruction into constant misery to the point of physical illness from it.

I am at a loss because ive done maximum effort over maximum time, with absoluetely zero results whatsoever. I have never had any success in life socially or otherwise, since birth. Not one honest effort has ever produced any results, and life continued to slowly worsen.

A person should not be forced into isolation against their will & decade(s) of best efforts. That is then destruction of that person into utter misery & constant suffering. Then when that person reveals all of this, He/She will likely go under attack, even on support forums, i have been under very heavy attack by Low-IQ sociopaths that reply with bizarre replies. I dont know about here, I just got here to this forum.

I think maybe i should use words like total-isolation more than loneliness, because theres all these people married, or having relationships, or getting laid, going out with friends, have family they live with or have children that still talk about loneliness.

What I mean by lonely is total isolation despite thousands of efforts over decades, No family, no friends, no kids, no Love, nothing, total isolation with store clerk as only human contact; despite meeting hundreds of people and trying everything since the 1990s. So I ought to call it forced-rejection and utter-agony-isolation instead, to discriminate between the two kinds. There comes a point to where the amount of loneliness/isolation/forced-rejection makes one physically ill, even shaky & with daily PTSD attacks from it. It just all depends on the amount of loneliness. the amount of isolation.

Isolation is far worse than having people around but feeling something is missing and some level of lonely. Yeah its far worse believe me, to the point of things like appetite loss pacing, and shaking in a PTSD-like condition.

VanillaCreme said:
Alonewith2cats said:
One reason I'll stay single for as long as I have to is because I'm not going to be with someone I don't really want to be with out of need. Of course I'm going to choose someone out of love and I'll wait for it no matter how long it takes.

This was my point. I suppose I could have been less harsh with my words. I've not been in a relationship my entire life. I know what it's like to be single, and I do remember wanting to be with someone. I just see so many people force relationships on themselves simply because they didn't want to be alone. And even when I was single, I wondered why that occurred. I've said for years, I'd rather be alone, by myself, than to be in a relationship that's just not for me.

On this note I agree with you. Some of us single people are misunderstood, we express a strong desire to be in a relationship and people think we must be so needy that we will jump into a relationship with just anybody. And they're wrong, because they don't get that this desire is to be in a relationship with someone we really want and not just anybody. How do we avoid being misunderstood in this way? By not expressing any desire to be in a relationship, we have to keep it to ourselves. Well, I guess some people are so needy and desperate that they'll latch on to someone they don't really love out of need. But it's unfair when this idea is assumed about anyone who expresses that they don't want to be single.

Alonewith2cats said:
I recently saw a face book post. It was one of those cliches that gets dished out to single people all the time. It has it's truth but I find it annoying. It said "Learn to be happy alone, that way being with a partner will be out of choice, not need." My point is not all of us single people who are not happy alone are this stupid. One reason I'll stay single for as long as I have to is because I'm not going to be with someone I don't really want to be with out of need. Of course I'm going to choose someone out of love and I'll wait for it no matter how long it takes. This is how these kind of cliches can be insulting to single people.

I'm thinking about leaving the forum. I think my posts come across to people as needy and desperate which is not how I would describe myself but I can't help but feel people here may be thinking that about me which is embarrassing for me. And I disagree a lot. Besides I've decided I don't want to waste my time complaining about loneliness on a chat forum. I should spend that time taking action doing whatever I can to fight against loneliness, pursue what I want and make life as wonderful is possible. It was nice meeting everyone here. Ciao.

You don’t come across as particularly needy. Self-containment where a relationship is merely the ‘icing’ on an otherwise fulfilling life is a non-existent ideal. Why then should anyone risk upsetting this (supposed) contented state for another, with all the complication that brings?

This is the advice you get from those who have no trouble finding a partner, or those who have seen the worst in their partners and are somewhat ‘meh’ to the concept of romantic attachments.

With respect, I dont want to insult you or anger you, but Love is not about validation, that's disinformation, Love is about Love

Perhaps validation was one issue with the ones who used me and threw me away when done using. I cant speak for sociopaths, that's a different kind of individual who doesn't experience Love, but instead emulates Love for other reasons, of which one could be validation.

Perhaps we agree after all, if you are talking about demonic sociopaths, then yes, validation could come into play -- otherwise it has nothing at all to do with Love, like rejection has nothing to do with taste, or jealousy has nothing to do with humor, or pizza has nothing to do with Egyptian history.

tone303 said:
I have been alone 95% of my adult life, where i only see a store clerk as only human contact

the other 5% was involvement with sociopaths who frauded and abandoned me when done using me.

Because this is my situation WITH using every effort, every method possible my entire adult life, even using around 30 to 35 social sites and in the past going out alone hundreds of times........because of that, i would say I do fear being single for life, which would be worse than death of course, its utter destruction into constant misery to the point of physical illness from it.

I am at a loss because ive done maximum effort over maximum time, with absoluetely zero results whatsoever. I have never had any success in life socially or otherwise, since birth. Not one honest effort has ever produced any results, and life continued to slowly worsen.

A person should not be forced into isolation against their will & decade(s) of best efforts. That is then destruction of that person into utter misery & constant suffering. Then when that person reveals all of this, He/She will likely go under attack, even on support forums, i have been under very heavy attack by Low-IQ sociopaths that reply with bizarre replies. I dont know about here, I just got here to this forum.

I think maybe i should use words like total-isolation more than loneliness, because theres all these people married, or having relationships, or getting laid, going out with friends, have family they live with or have children that still talk about loneliness.

What I mean by lonely is total isolation despite thousands of efforts over decades, No family, no friends, no kids, no Love, nothing, total isolation with store clerk as only human contact; despite meeting hundreds of people and trying everything since the 1990s. So I ought to call it forced-rejection and utter-agony-isolation instead, to discriminate between the two kinds. There comes a point to where the amount of loneliness/isolation/forced-rejection makes one physically ill, even shaky & with daily PTSD attacks from it. It just all depends on the amount of loneliness. the amount of isolation.

Isolation is far worse than having people around but feeling something is missing and some level of lonely. Yeah its far worse believe me, to the point of things like appetite loss pacing, and shaking in a PTSD-like condition.

Have you tried meet up groups, volunteering your time or joining a group of people who do anything that interests you? I just started attending Sunday Assembly meetings that happen once per month because I'm not religious so I don't do church but this allows me to have a church-like experience and find community. I've only gone once so far, I'm just getting started and it's scary meeting people I don't know. I'm socially awkward with people I don't know. But it's a start and I'm going to attend every month and I did have some conversation over pizza with some people after the meeting and next Saturday I'm going to join them with volunteer work, picking up trash on the beach. Do anything and everything to get involved and meet and interact with people. Have you really done the maximum you can do with absolute zero results??? Social media sites are not the way to make friends. This causes loneliness. You have to go out into the world!

Now people are making demonic down-talking bizarre sociopathic assumption statements at me again, some woman... (guys do this too).... some woman who i had on my Yahoo buddy list for about 4 or 5 days just attacked me at random for no reason... she said an assault i wont repeat, then the second assault was "I dont think you should be dependent on me as an only friend -- it dfoesnt make any sense because i told her im at multiple places talking to multiple people and never said anything to indicate such a thing

what people do is make random degrading assaults where they randomly attack you with darkness & evil, with you having said nothing at all to perpetuate that assault. Those are demons really, they are nothing more that sociopaths. They always say things I would never say in a million years -- you have to find your own like kind who is like you and not a demon who does strange random assaults that you yourself would never do if you lived a thousand years old.

Now see if karma exists, she will go talk to someone, and then that person will talk down to her, make bizarre random attacks suddenly for no reason out of hatred and demonic darkness, and etc. People should take their own medicine and suffer from their own bizrre sociopathy reflected back to them. suffer from their own evil. If someone uses someone then sleeps with married men, their next partner should abuse them or sleep with married women -- let them suffer from their own evil back to them. **** sociopaths are even human, they are demons in human form.

Alonewith2cats said:
tone303 said:

Have you tried meet up groups, volunteering your time or joining a group of people who do anything that interests you? I just started attending Sunday Assembly meetings that happen once per month because I'm not religious so I don't do church but this allows me to have a church-like experience and find community. I've only gone once so far, I'm just getting started and it's scary meeting people I don't know. I'm socially awkward with people I don't know. But it's a start and I'm going to attend every month and I did have some conversation over pizza with some people after the meeting and next Saturday I'm going to join them with volunteer work, picking up trash on the beach. Do anything and everything to get involved and meet and interact with people. Have you really done the maximum you can do with absolute zero results??? Social media sites are not the way to make friends. This causes loneliness. You have to go out into the world!

Thanks for your reply but its bizarre in this sense

I just said i went out alone thousands of times, used 35 sites and do extreme putting myself out in the world

then you replied with "put your self out in the world"

I have this happen all of the time where I post something then someone replies what I already posted

Like if I say Im from chicago, someone will reply and say "have you ever been to chicago?" its gotten strange

Yes i posted in other spots where you didnt see that I used meetup groups, I used them for an entire year, no luck -- with that one its not your fault you didnt know because that was in other posts

but i dont see how I could say I do extreme maximum effort over maximum time, and go out hundreds to over a thousand times -- then you reply with "you need to go out"

thats bizarre. sorry.

Yes I really have done maximum effort, truly, to the point of still going out and then i would cry and shake on the outing, THAT much effort.

And I do social sites as well , you cant really say thats not the way to meet people as I myself met 15 people in person from online and millions have even got married that way, so why would you type that as well?

I dont understand? But in any case, going out alone hundreds of times over decades, using meetupgroups, i did have some volenteering MANY years ago as well -- none of that work

I honestly have never met anyone compatible with me, when I thought I did, they were sociopaths, two of which had sudden over-night amnesia about me, others who did laughing hangup calls to me after claiming to Love me

If i told you ; you wouldnt believe what I have been through, it includes people i was close to having sudden amnesia about me, then telling me to die and disappearing forever. every person ever willing to get to know me was very demonic, im not kidding, im not having distorted thoughts, Im not schizo-affective. and if i told you more details you would see its things that cannot be hallucinated or distorted thoughts, things like sudden amnesia... things like suddenly changing over night and attacking me for no reason then having affairs with married men and saying "Tone now you have another bad story to tell others! Goodbye!"

You have no clue the evil I have been exposed to. this is WITH using meetups and going out hundreds of times.

I wont be able to deal with your replies though, so if theres any intelligent , open hearted people, who have empathy, arent sociopaths, they can try and PM me for chat.

tone303 said:
Now people are making demonic down-talking bizarre sociopathic assumption statements at me again, some woman... (guys do this too).... some woman who i had on my Yahoo buddy list for about 4 or 5 days just attacked me at random for no reason... she said an assault i wont repeat, then the second assault was "I dont think you should be dependent on me as an only friend -- it dfoesnt make any sense because i told her im at multiple places talking to multiple people and never said anything to indicate such a thing

what people do is make random degrading assaults where they randomly attack you with darkness & evil, with you having said nothing at all to perpetuate that assault. Those are demons really, they are nothing more that sociopaths. They always say things I would never say in a million years -- you have to find your own like kind who is like you and not a demon who does strange random assaults that you yourself would never do if you lived a thousand years old.

Now see if karma exists, she will go talk to someone, and then that person will talk down to her, make bizarre random attacks suddenly for no reason out of hatred and demonic darkness, and etc. People should take their own medicine and suffer from their own bizrre sociopathy reflected back to them. suffer from their own evil. If someone uses someone then sleeps with married men, their next partner should abuse them or sleep with married women -- let them suffer from their own evil back to them. **** sociopaths are even human, they are demons in human form.

Alonewith2cats said:
tone303 said:

Thanks for your reply but its bizarre in this sense

I just said i went out alone thousands of times, used 35 sites and do extreme putting myself out in the world

then you replied with "put your self out in the world"

I have this happen all of the time where I post something then someone replies what I already posted

Like if I say Im from chicago, someone will reply and say "have you ever been to chicago?" its gotten strange

Yes i posted in other spots where you didnt see that I used meetup groups, I used them for an entire year, no luck -- with that one its not your fault you didnt know because that was in other posts

but i dont see how I could say I do extreme maximum effort over maximum time, and go out hundreds to over a thousand times -- then you reply with "you need to go out"

thats bizarre. sorry.

Yes I really have done maximum effort, truly, to the point of still going out and then i would cry and shake on the outing, THAT much effort.

And I do social sites as well , you cant really say thats not the way to meet people as I myself met 15 people in person from online and millions have even got married that way, so why would you type that as well?

I dont understand? But in any case, going out alone hundreds of times over decades, using meetupgroups, i did have some volenteering MANY years ago as well -- none of that work

I honestly have never met anyone compatible with me, when I thought I did, they were sociopaths, two of which had sudden over-night amnesia about me, others who did laughing hangup calls to me after claiming to Love me

If i told you ; you wouldnt believe what I have been through, it includes people i was close to having sudden amnesia about me, then telling me to die and disappearing forever. every person ever willing to get to know me was very demonic, im not kidding, im not having distorted thoughts, Im not schizo-affective. and if i told you more details you would see its things that cannot be hallucinated or distorted thoughts, things like sudden amnesia... things like suddenly changing over night and attacking me for no reason then having affairs with married men and saying "Tone now you have another bad story to tell others! Goodbye!"

You have no clue the evil I have been exposed to. this is WITH using meetups and going out hundreds of times.

I wont be able to deal with your replies though, so if theres any intelligent , open hearted people, who have empathy, arent sociopaths, they can try and PM me for chat.

It's because you said that you went out alone that I had to ask if you made an effort to meet people by joining a group. If you tell me you have then I believe you. What I meant about social media sites not being very effective is for example, you can have 500 friends on face book and not have a connection with any of them. No, I don't have any idea what you have been exposed to in regards to evil and demonic people. I guess all I can say is don't give up and keep trying because what is the alternative?

I'm too much of a pussy to talk to girls that I want to talk to. I'm happy about my looks, but I still think I'll be single until I die.

Eh, I've met about 400 people from online IRL.. I'm just saying.
It won't happen with the first 15 people you meet.

I'm currently living in a grey zone of life and i can say with certainty that nobody here will understand it, that's not the point anyway... point is this "grey zone" has had me pent up at home for years now and only a select few people will get it, even smaller percent of those people will be female... so my lifestyle has pretty much ruined my chances at any sort of companionship, i just have to live with it.

HGwells said:
Eh, I've met about 400 people from online IRL.. I'm just saying.
It won't happen with the first 15 people you meet.

Were all those 400 people from dating sites, or from regular sites like Facebook or forums also? How did you transition from only meeting online, to actually getting to know them in real life? I understand in this day and age a lot of people are reluctant to meet those they meet online. How would you recommend getting past that?

10 years I used to get bullied into going places I didn't want to.
I got a wedding invitation from my best friend at work.
People have asked if I am going and I have said 'no'
They ask me why not and I say I don't like large crowds of people.
I hate been in a room full of people.
I can't put myself thru anything like that.
My best friend will understand. She knows what I am like.
I can't think of anything worse than a room full of people drinking, dancing, having a good time.
The days of me going to places like that are over.

Really, I don't fear being single forever. I'm fine with dying alone, and it's what I want actually. I'm certain I will welcome death when it comes. I just want a friend with a shoulder to cry on when my life before that gets rough.

It's been interesting to read all your thoughts about this. It really depends on being happy about being single with no casual partners for many years. I don't want it to be 10 years from now and not having any sort of emotional or physical contact with a partner... It's being happy with where and who you are that really counts...I believe it will continue for me for a very long time and I don't particularly want that...sort of makes me believe there is no such thing as fate or destiny when it comes to meeting people because it is easy to go for years and years without meeting potential partners. I will keep at it though and try to change this set of circumstances. It's the only thing you can do to break away from this kind of life if you're not happily single. It's the desire to have some emotional connection with someone to be passionate about somebody that you miss over time. There's always a chance to change things though its never too late to break free from what's holding you back from finding someone for the first time or the next time.

Latest posts

Back