Do you have any codes or guidelines that you live by?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I boycott certain things that kidsters and eleventeen year olds ruin. like gibson/epiphone guitars.

aaand i try to be as nice as i can, but i'm still a ***** way too often

Never leave someone crying in a room when they are counting money, never take a honeysuckle and leave the door closed so the smell expands for the next ******, never make drilling noises during sex to imitate a high powered road drill, never eat cheese before bed, never deliberately press the traffic lights button despite the fact the road is clear, never go to sleep angry, never say a bad word about anyone, never think unpure thoughts about someone, never use ignorance as a way of getting out of something, never lie or make up false stories about famous people........

only joking I do almost all of these. The only code I live by is "tomorrow is too late"

Treat others the way you would like to be treated
Manners are everything, but cost nothing
Always wear clean underwear

three simple rules to keep me in check

Luisa said:
Treat others the way you would like to be treated
Manners are everything, but cost nothing
Always wear clean underwear

three simple rules to keep me in check

Reality exist only in your mind.

If I'm going down, I am taking someone with me.

There is a heaven. There is a hell.

Livet är vad som händer medan vi väntar på att det skall bli värt nog att leva. - Life is what happens while we wait on the moment it's worth living.

I try to treat others just how I like to be treated. I try to be a fair and just person. Those who treat me nice are treated nice. Those who treat me nasty will get nasty responses in return. I try to be caring while avoiding being a doormat. Sometimes it's hard to do because I'm either viewed as a wussy or cold. As a result, I think I have become very guarded. Anyways, I also try to admit my failures. I have become humble over the years, and I will point out my faults. However, I think I'm a little too critical of myself sometimes.

I think the problem is that for every rule I try and make for myself, I can always think of an example where it can be broken. Here is George Carlin:

I've been doing martial arts since i was a kid so my set of rules is very close to those of the bushido code.

There's the ten golden rules...but fresia, it sucks ass when other ppl dosn't play by the rules.
There's the 12 principles or guidelines, but **** ppl just talk about the honeysuckle and never apply it.

I should had listen to my drill sargent...all alone.
He taught me a lot of self decipline
He taught me a lot of courage
He taught me a lot of stepping forward and facing my fears.
He taught me about responsiblites.
He taught me about integrity.
He taught me about team work.
He tuaght me about pride.
He pushed me beyound my limits and got me to do things i thought i couldn't do.
He taugh me how to belive in myself.
He taugh me so..so much.
He was preparing me for combat, war and life in general.

I remember the day he had my standing at full attention with my head held up high
inspecting every little details a about me. He look into my eyes as if he was looking
into my soul. He was firm but you can see the love in eyes he had for me.
You can see the tears in his eyes.
He told me..."son...you might not remember everything I've taught you but I want you to
remember this...I want you to remember this for the rest of your life no matter what
happens. If this is all you member about me..then i will have done my job"
" LOOK OUT FOR FUCKEN NUMBER 1" ..if i had to go to war he wanted me to come home alive.
Basically love myself first and foremost.

I've always tried to live my life in accordance with the Golden Rule, paraphrased; 'Do unto others what you would have done unto you'.

It's hard for me to understand why so many people in the world don't get this.

Spare said:
I've always tried to live my life in accordance with the Golden Rule, paraphrased; 'Do unto others what you would have done unto you'.

It's hard for me to understand why so many people in the world don't get this.

High five!!

I agree completely Spare, it really is that simple.

Good post.

unfortunately any definite rule i have made for myself I have broken, but I have also been very different people at different times of my life so I don't know that this is neccesarily a bad thing. Sometimes forcing yourself to follow a code that is disingenuous to what you want and or who you are is more detrimental than being honest and contradicting yourself.

That being said, we all unconsciously have boundaries that we do not cross or things we hold sacred. For me the things that I have done and respected consistantly I did because they are things that I believe and understand at my core and so flow from me naturally and genuinely, usually without me awknowleding them. This is not an argument for unconsciousness however, you can, and I HAVE hurt yourself and others when acting in blind fear. Generally the rules I have in my heart are this;

1. Value life. Do not assume my political opinions from this statement. Whether random or intentional, life is delicate, powerful, violent, beautiful, and miraculous. As anything else, we consume and destroy in order that we live, but it does not mean we do not recognize it's value, respect it's power and our dependence and entanglement with the rest of the world. Don't kill/consume uneccessarily and be grateful and not wasteful with the resources provided you.

2. Follows from one, respect people. As Scott says, "appropriately." You do not have to revere them or take abuse, but be careful when you start to play the "me vs. them" game. They are human, so are you, they are not all bad or all good, they have value, as do you.

3. Forgive. Funny enough, it's hardest for me to forgive myself, to not let one little mistake snowball into a crushing mountain of guilt and self-loathing. Thing is, when you believe you are a failure, messed up, selfish, and stupid, you begin to make those things true. Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, call it the Law of Attraction, but the energy you put out is returned to you. Forgive yourself because you know inside of you that you are a better person, give yourself the gift of awknowledging that better person. Buddhists call this "prajna," the potential to be better that you carry always inside you.

I haven't and probably won't have these in mind at all times, but I hope that I can be my best person at least some of the time.

My vaules changes as my awareness changes.

Today it's about learning to accept life on life's term, reality or life as it is.
Not what i think it ought to be or should be. Not what my perceptions are.
Seeing a spade for a spade.
Most if not all of my pains and sufferning is from honeysuckle not going my way or what my moral values are.
Poeple don't act right...honeysuckle I even fail to live up to my own standards or the stadard of others.
It didn't work..all it did was cuase more pains, anger , fustrations and suffering upon myself.

No, i don't agree or like if people do murders..however I have as much power to change
that person about as much as I can change the rotations of the earth.

I have as much control over the fucken birds taking shits on my car or control over the weather. It is what it is.

Poeple do things only in accordance to what their consious is..
In other words...people will do what they need to do...wheather it has negative consequences
or not. Right or wrong.

I simply can just chose not to get involve through my evauation without judgements.
No freaken hurt, anger, fustrations or pains...This is where forgiveness is not required.

Judge and you won't be judged...phrases like these are making sense to me.

Forgive them father for they do not know what they do...even this makes sense to me know.
I'm not god, judge or jury for anyone.

Screw fucken guilt. Guilt is about the most nuratic trained program behavior.
People do honeysuckle, conform, get manipulatred or get controlled through guilt.
Sometimes it has such a destructive outcome...people hang themselve over guilt.
Instread of learning from our mistakes and knowing we simply did the best that we could
with our level of awarness or consiousness that any given moment.

Most of the time, I think about what Aristotle said: Virtue is the mean between two extremes.

But there are a few absolutes I adhere to besides:
Never treat a person merely as a means to an end.
Help those who can't help themselves. (For people that won't.. I have no sympathy.)
Never speak out of anger - words can always be said later, but they cannot be unsaid.
Never violate trust - it is always an act of faith and, by definition, not rational.

The actions of others are never an excuse for your own.

This basically means, take responsibility for what you choose to do, instead of saying it was a response to something someone else did, or that everybody's doing it.

Never assume people know what they're doing, or why they're doing it. Half the time they don't!

And because I posted something about Blake's 7 elsewhere, I've just remembered one of Avon's that I've realised I kind of live by.

'Trust is only dangerous when you have to rely on it.' - Kerr Avon

What goes around comes around

and

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Latest posts

Back