Do you like human beings?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, it seems so many here point out the dark side of our species - not surprising, as we are capable of supreme evil...but we are also a species capable of great love and beauty and compassion and selflessness. Beautiful things happen every day, every second, all over this planet -little things that perhaps seem inconsequential compared the darkness that happens too, but I truly believe that at the end of the day, it's the light that wins out just a little bit. It's this thought that keeps me going, gives me hope for the future.

Solivagant said:
SophiaGrace said:
What country are you from?

America.

Why are our history class contents different??? -_-

I spent a boatload of time learning about pre 20th century history (mostly colonial up until the civil war…no coverage of reconstruction after the civil war), and then one class on mostly the wars of the 20th century, and another class on world religions. Then a class on Modern European history and..another in which reconstruction and the union riots of the 1920's were discussed.

Nothing about all the things I just listed.

SophiaGrace said:

I can only speculate, but it probably has something to do with politics.

Solivagant said:
SophiaGrace said:

I can only speculate, but it probably has something to do with politics.

Probably.

I lived in a very conservative area of America. Small town.

All I ever heard about was the wars of the White man in school.

SophiaGrace said:
Probably.

I lived in a very conservative area of America. Small town.

All I ever heard about was the wars of the White man in school.

I attended a diverse inner-city school in a zealously liberal state, and I heard all about how evil people are, particularly White Americans; encouraged to be ashamed of that heritage. So yeah, sounds like political differences/agendas to me.

Nullgeist said:
I like the idea of humans. Ideas always seem good until they're executed.

I suspect that i was intend to be human. Not sure what happened.

ringwood said:
You know, it seems so many here point out the dark side of our species - not surprising, as we are capable of supreme evil...but we are also a species capable of great love and beauty and compassion and selflessness. Beautiful things happen every day, every second, all over this planet -little things that perhaps seem inconsequential compared the darkness that happens too, but I truly believe that at the end of the day, it's the light that wins out just a little bit. It's this thought that keeps me going, gives me hope for the future.

Probably because there is a lot more evil then good in this world.

Humans behaving like crap isn't only in the history books. Open your door today and look outside into the distance.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ratic-republic-congo-central-african-republic

I read one of the survivors of Auschwitz said he had to mentally compartmentalize the horrors he saw and experienced. He said those who didn't wound up killing themselves after the war. I think we all compartmentalize to some extent. I don't read or listen anymore to stories about child abuse. Some things are just too atrocious to contemplate on a regular basis.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
I read one of the survivors of Auschwitz said he had to mentally compartmentalize the horrors he saw and experienced. He said those who didn't wound up killing themselves after the war. I think we all compartmentalize to some extent. I don't read or listen anymore to stories about child abuse. Some things are just too atrocious to contemplate on a regular basis.

-Teresa

Definitely. My nan was actually a prisoner of war who spent time at Auschwitz. She barely spoke about it because she found it so horrible. All I know is that she had to sort out some of the shoes and other belongings.

Katerina said:
SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

Definitely. My nan was actually a prisoner of war who spent time at Auschwitz. She barely spoke about it because she found it so horrible. All I know is that she had to sort out some of the shoes and other belongings.

(hug)

Your Nan was a strong lady.

SofiasMami said:
Humans behaving like crap isn't only in the history books. Open your door today and look outside into the distance.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ratic-republic-congo-central-african-republic

-Teresa

I read the article.

and then I read this article

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/w...istance-army-war-crimes-court-hague.html?_r=0

I'm not sure how I feel.

"On 14 October 2011, far-right political commentator Rush Limbaugh questioned the U.S. move against the LRA, declaring that the "Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them...So that’s a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda..."[119] Later in the show, after a break, Limbaugh apparently equivocated:[120] "Is that right? The Lord's Resistance Army is being accused of really bad stuff? Child kidnapping, torture, murder, that kind of stuff? Well, we just found out about this today. We're gonna do, of course, our due diligence research on it. But nevertheless we got a hundred troops being sent over there to fight these guys -- and they claim to be Christians."[119]"

*facepalm*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

I just watched this Kony 2012 Documentary [youtube]Y4MnpzG5Sqc[/youtube]

Katerina said:

Makes the rest of our problems seem quite small :(.

As for the original question, in aggregate no, not really but some do manage to transcend what seems to be our inherently predatory nature.

I think in general I like human beings, but I have met very little of them in the last two years

She was, she came over to the UK with basically nothing after the war and managed to build a life for herself. She passed away last year, I hope I've inherited some of her strength.

Katerina said:
She was, she came over to the UK with basically nothing after the war and managed to build a life for herself. She passed away last year, I hope I've inherited some of her strength.

She sounds like a strong and admirable woman. May she rest in peace.

Latest posts

Back