Do you regret being born?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been times in my past that I've regretted existing and didn't see much point in it.

For me to regret being born is to deny the happy lives for my four children, merrily playing around me as I write. To regret ever being born therefore is ludicrous - unthinkable. :(

How exactly can one regret being born? I mean, it's not something we had any choice. One thing goes into another, and boom, we're here. It's happenstance. Not a choice.

All the time.
Purpose for me to be here and suffer, unclear.
Close brushes with death, often wonder why I was spared. Have no inkling often wished I hadn't been spared.
Not sure of why I am even here - breathing - doing - working - surviving.
Purpose? No clue.
Suicidal thoughts - indeed sometimes so dark and so clear I find myself speculating how that would work out. Eyeballing certain objects that can be utilized. Ever go forth? No just those deep dark thoughts that drive the mind into dark hidden places. Wishful of peace and quiet.

Pedestrian said:
I think it's similar to suicide in a sense but sometimes i wish i was never born, the human survival instinct inside won't let me think of suicidal actions too much.

I wonder if people here regret being born, while i acknowledge that life does have its ups and downs, i feel that the ups are short lived and grasped at like straws, many people will never grasp long lasting joy, but we can grasp short amounts of joy if we are fortunate enough, on the other hands the downs in life can last up to a lifetime, emotional scars that never heal, personality complexes, grief and loss, being terminally ill or knowing somebody that is, seeing others suffer as well can lead to your own suffering, the list goes on!

With no purposeful life, no objective life beside trying to attain ones desires to feed the endorphin addiction we all love, i have to ask; where does suffering get us?

We cry and laugh because it's a natural process of catharsis, but how many people cry every night and continue to be sad, do they regret being born? i know i do...

I implore you as the reader, answer me! i do not ask from a depressive perspective or a philosophical one, i am merely trying to convey my feelings, although history may be sad and messy, my words are something i can pass on because surely i am not the only one who feels like this nor will i be the last.

EDIT: I am disappointed that so little people are willing to face this question, as a forum based on lonely people, i feel lonely within a lonely community, am i misunderstood? or simply ignored?

Please tell me that at one point you've felt depressed because you couldn't figure it all out. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've gone around and around in circles. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've realized that this is a bizarre world with no answers.

Please tell me this, tell me that you've thought and felt. Tell me you aren't all cyborgs. Don't give me a reason to live just tell me if you have or have not ever felt depressed over this absurd situation. Please. This is ridiculous I can't find anybody who's ever felt depressed over this, why is everyone only depressed over stuff made up by society that they don't even know exists. Why don't they care about their meaningless life.

Nah...the ride's already been paid for so I might as well try to enjoy it while it lasts.

Nah. Even though my life has been fairly disappointing I was lucky enough to be born in a first-world country into a decent situation and be an organism that is capable of enjoying anything at all. So I'll take it.

When I was younger yes,I wished I wasn't born,I wished I wasn't alive. Now,I am glad that I was born,even if just to give birth to my little boy who I am really proud of and to have met the people that I have met in life.

I do not regret existence. There is much joy in life. The sadness and suffering just make it all that much more poignant. There does not need to be some grand purpose, although we can create one if we choose. Happiness lies in appreciation of and gratitude for what we do have. Life is fleeting and will be over soon enough. Enjoy it however you can.

(at one point I have been suicidal)

My way out is:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
NO!
Right now I'm listening to some ace dnb.
In a bit I might go for a midnight walk.

Tomorrow I might go and try and jump on a freight train and ride it.

None of those things require another person.

If I'd never been born I couldn't enjoy some sublime music, or sunlight coming through some trees.
Every single second there are things you could be spending them enjoying. I work with people with cancer every day, they're counting every second wishing they had more time.

We're in the same situation but we have the luxury of more seconds, every second we wate is only hurting us.

THINK POSITIVE.

Yeah I'm aware of the danger. My bad throwing that in there. Justification is though every second can be valuable and it's all about how you use it and sucking the marrow in experience out of life, there are usually ways to do this regardless of most situations.

Choosing to end it all means never another sunrise, never another beautiful piece of music, never that one smile off someone in a few weeks. Never anything positive.

Basically this:

lonelyfairy said:
No. Life is a gift, in all of it's sadness and happiness.

I appreciate that clinical depression is ******* honeysuckle tho. Hugs to anyone struggling with it.

Never felt like that although I do think that my life should be different or I should be in control of my life. But that's another beauty of life.

No, I don't and can't regret being born. I don't think you can regret it, cos it's not something you did or ask for. I believe that regret only comes from your own actions.

Also, I don't believe in regretting the things I do. I think one should turn that regret into a learning lesson/experience.

There's a lot of honeysuckle in life, for everyone. Nobody's spared from it, I believe. But there's always some way to work around it, even if that way is short term or just for a few minutes. You can only try to be happy when you can, because other times besides that, it's full of honeysuckle. That's how life is. Gotta make do, I guess.

benj said:
I work with people with cancer every day, they're counting every second wishing they had more time.

What do you work as, if I may ask?

One cannot regret being born as conception wasnt one's choice in the first place. Though if the question would have been "would you rather not have been born into this world?" I'd have to say yes, life is overrated in many ways and though its something very special at the same time we ('human beings') havent exactly shaped our world into something worth living for by definition.

McDamned said:
One cannot regret being born as conception wasnt one's choice in the first place. Though if the question would have been "would you rather not have been born into this world?" I'd have to say yes, life is overrated in many ways and though its something very special at the same time we ('human beings') havent exactly shaped our world into something worth living for by definition.
And what exactly could you define as "something worth living for"?

Despicable Me said:
The exact definition would take up too much of my time, and yours too, I guess, as the exact answer would have to be a very personal view of my own ideal world. Perhaps it should do with the mentioning of a world in which greed and ignorance belong to a minority that arent the dominant group of people. Further more the world could very well be an entirely different place without all the ongoing violence and the suffering because of that violence, violence and suffering not only inflicted on our own species but also to/on/at nature and its many different creatures.

McDamned said:
Despicable Me said:
The exact definition would take up too much of my time, and yours too, I guess, as the exact answer would have to be a very personal view of my own ideal world. Perhaps it should do with the mentioning of a world in which greed and ignorance belong to a minority that arent the dominant group of people. Further more the world could very well be an entirely different place without all the ongoing violence and the suffering because of that violence, violence and suffering not only inflicted on our own species but also to/on/at nature and its many different creatures.
So moving towards that goal is not applicable for 'something worth living for'? Do you just assume that humanity should already be at this place and disregard the entire process of establishing such a thing?

Edit: This sounds like it is coming across in an accusing tone. I don't mean it in that way. I am actually just curious how you see this.

Latest posts

Back