Do you regret being born?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very rarely. I know that I am not a good person, I mean I am not evil or anything, but I know that I can be a better human being. So everyday, I try to be a better person, but there are times when I feel like I am not good for anything and I wish I hadn't been born.

That said, when I do catch myself feeling this way, I remind myself that I am here for some reason, and I should make it a worthy existence. And I should be grateful for what I have. So its not like I spend a long time regretting being born...its just a fleeting thought that happens when I am really pissed at myself.

Everyday.
I know my parents regret me and that makes it worse.
I haven't seen them in almost six ******* years and I still care and that makes it even more worse.

Pedestrian said:
I think it's similar to suicide in a sense but sometimes i wish i was never born, the human survival instinct inside won't let me think of suicidal actions too much.

I wonder if people here regret being born, while i acknowledge that life does have its ups and downs, i feel that the ups are short lived and grasped at like straws, many people will never grasp long lasting joy, but we can grasp short amounts of joy if we are fortunate enough, on the other hands the downs in life can last up to a lifetime, emotional scars that never heal, personality complexes, grief and loss, being terminally ill or knowing somebody that is, seeing others suffer as well can lead to your own suffering, the list goes on!

With no purposeful life, no objective life beside trying to attain ones desires to feed the endorphin addiction we all love, i have to ask; where does suffering get us?

We cry and laugh because it's a natural process of catharsis, but how many people cry every night and continue to be sad, do they regret being born? i know i do...

I implore you as the reader, answer me! i do not ask from a depressive perspective or a philosophical one, i am merely trying to convey my feelings, although history may be sad and messy, my words are something i can pass on because surely i am not the only one who feels like this nor will i be the last.

EDIT: I am disappointed that so little people are willing to face this question, as a forum based on lonely people, i feel lonely within a lonely community, am i misunderstood? or simply ignored?

Please tell me that at one point you've felt depressed because you couldn't figure it all out. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've gone around and around in circles. Tell me that you've been depressed because you've realized that this is a bizarre world with no answers.

Please tell me this, tell me that you've thought and felt. Tell me you aren't all cyborgs. Don't give me a reason to live just tell me if you have or have not ever felt depressed over this absurd situation. Please. This is ridiculous I can't find anybody who's ever felt depressed over this, why is everyone only depressed over stuff made up by society that they don't even know exists. Why don't they care about their meaningless life.

I have thought about it quite a bit, I was a whoops baby, my parents weren't planning on having more kids, they were older when they had me, so all my siblings were much older, I hated it because I lost both my parents before I hit my 30's.

I never seem to do anything right, have a weight problem that no matter hard I fight and lose it always comes back, alone at 48, told I had major depression by a therapist, got laided off some months back after over 8 years with a company and now having issues keeping a job once I find one.

I have been wishing that a lot lately.

ardour said:
The thought crosses my mind.

My father was a ped, and my mother, a decent and kind person, was naïve. Nobody on that side could understand why she married him.

I’m ugly and have subpar intelligence. It feels like society's carrying me, like I’m taking up space.

For what it's worth, having observed you on this forum for a not insignificant amount of time, I don't for one second believe you have subpar intelligence. You seem a bit above average to me.

In a sense... yes.

Long story short, my mom didn't want me, but she put up with me. She told me herself that "I didn't want you", and clearly, my existence made her unhappy. She and my father already had three other children to take care of and tend to their needs.

They were apparently very well off in money until I was born, which their freedom was sort of stripped away since another mouth to feed/take care of = more money down the drain. And they couldn't go out of town and make any fun family trips that much when I came in the picture. My dad doesn't seem to mind me (unless he's hiding it), but my mom and siblings hold things over my head to this very day, and we're all adults now (I'm 23, going on 24)...

But I'm here now, so nothing anyone can do about that.

No i dont regreat being born , there has been really bad days where i wish i didn't exist , but life is beautiful and although we suffer and horrible things happens to us , and its normal cause we live in a fallen world , Life offers also very beautiful things , like Love and as long as we live there is always hope to get around our obstacles , God has made us all Unique and we all have a purpose in life , we have unique personalities and talents , it is our mission to discover them , and all the stuff that i been trough i take them as a lesson to better myself , to get stronger and Help others ! :)

Yes I have wished I never existed especially when a sense of being unwanted wherever I go or whatever I do strikes. Being treated scornfully over a long time affects some people more than the others and in worse cases makes them feel guilty even for existing. I've known the feeling.

I don't know about wishing I wasn't born, but I do know a parent wishing I wasn't born. I found a letter when my mom died that she wrote and said that she never wanted me. Yup. lol. Many of us have similar/comparable baggage I'm sure. Life is not perfect, that is a given. It stung, and it is still there. Tough letter to read especially as I couldn't talk to her about it.

But, having said that to give some hopefully give some validity to my comments... I think we all have a purpose...even if we don't know it. And even if she didn't want me ..."I" have to want me. ( even though often I have to work hard at liking me). Sometimes it can take a lifetime in order to have enough experience to reflect and look back. That usually comes with a happy moment in life where we say "I like this moment"...and we connect the dots to what got us there...even the ones that hurt. It usually is the ones that hurt that make you appreciate that "happy moment". Fleeting or not, grab it. Try to not wait for the other shoe to drop. Sometimes that life journey can be very long and tiring. And, I personally think that life is a gift no matter the circumstances. Even when its tough and it sucks and we are wondering "why" and "what is next".
Hang in there....it is good to ask introspective questions, and it is good to wonder about ourselves and the world. I hope, in time, you can see the value in YOU. It does get tiring when it feels like a chore. I have found that striving to find a purpose, something that fulfills me, makes me feel good inside and gives me the "glimmers"....even a glimmer can get you through, (for me it usually involves giving back somehow), and can really help. I wish you luck.

I don't think we are supposed to be able to "figure it all out". Sometimes it's about going for the ride and holding on with both hands.

Latest posts

Back