Do You Think That Pitbulls Deserve Their Rep As Ultra Violent Dogs?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some animals are by nature more aggressive than others, this includes pitbulls who are indeed capable of causing horrific injuries and do appear to be more persistent with their attacks when provoked. This does not make them evil, any more than a knife is evil for being sharp.

All Canidae are prone to violent behaviour, wild or domesticated, it's in their instincts. The environment and manner in which a domesticated dog is raised is the key factor that will determine it's social interaction with humans and other animals. I believe Pit Bull breeds are mainly labeled as violent dogs because of their long association with criminal activities such as drug trafficking and dog fighting. In truth, Pit Bulls may excel as therapy/guide dogs or police dogs just as well as a Labrador or German Shepherd would.

[edit for grammar]

DreamerDeceiver said:
All Canidae are prone to violent behaviour, wild or domesticated, it's in their instincts. The environment and manner in which a domesticated dog is raised is the key factor that will determine it's social interaction with humans and other animals. I believe Pit Bull breeds are mainly labeled as violent dogs because of their long association with criminal activities such as drug trafficking and dog fighting. In truth, Pit Bulls may excel as therapy/guide dogs or police dogs just as well as a Labrador or German Shepherd would.

[edit for grammar]
Are guide dogs trained to defend their blind owners?

LoneKiller said:
DreamerDeceiver said:

[edit for grammar]
Are guide dogs trained to defend their blind owners?

Any dog that is trained well and treated well will defend their owner. They say Golden Retrievers make poor guard dogs because of their naivety and friendliness to everyone, this is completely untrue about my dog. He is fanatically loyal to the family and would defend us with his life.

[Edit] I'm not well aware of the procedures that take place in training guide dogs, though to answer your question I wouldn't doubt that they would.

I'd say certain dogs have certain natural temperaments just like people have a natural tendency to be kind or mean. My dog is an absolute cutie, she's never once growled at another. She even tries to lick cats when she catches them :D

I'm not so certain about actual types of dogs.

Pitbulls are typically muscular and have large, powerful jaws, so those traits make them dangerous obviously. But at birth a dog won't attack things without reason. In the wild they kill things for food, but not unless that's neccessary.

The problem is introduced with these dickheads you see training their dogs to be dangerous because it makes them look "hard". You get a lot of these people in the UK, because as one person put it "It's safer to train your dog to be a chainsaw on legs than it is to get hold of a gun."

If you don't get put away for as long for raising a dangerous dog as you do for holding a weapon, it makes sense that idiots will condition their dogs to be vicious. Pitbulls, Rottweilers and so on are just the pick of these people for their physical characteristics.

What I hate to hear is that a newscast tells a story of a Pitbull attacking someone, and the reporter says, "The dog just snapped! There was no warning and no understandable cause!"

Ummmm no. I can tell you what the cause was. Stupid ******* retard owners who don't know how to train dogs. You CANNOT get an athletic breed like a Pitbull and just expect it to pick up the household rules without training. If you stick a dog (ANY DOG) on a chain and leave it in the backyard all day with no human interaction (except when YOU want to play with it), then you're abusing your dog. And it shouldn't surprise you when your abused dog strikes like it's a feral predator. Because YOU made it that way.

Pitbulls need/crave a lot of attention. Most people misinterpret this as the dog being arrogant or aggressive; actually, it's simply trying to push its way into your attention. That's why a Pitbull will paw at you or stick its huge muzzle on your lap or jump on the bed with you and lay down on you and stick its face in yours. It's NOT trying to dominate you. That's just its way of being in your intimate close area of attention.

Pitbulls also need a LOT LOT LOT of exercise. Like I've said, they are an athletic breed. Take the dog on a walk (or preferably a run) every day. Maybe even twice a day. Give the dog a HUGE yard and a wide open space to roam and patrol, so it can burn off the energy it has before coming in.

Pitbulls need to be a part of your family. Bring the dog inside, let it choose a spot in your house that is its safe zone (most dogs will do this). Give it a bed. Put out a water bowl that it can access at any time. Feed it twice a day. Give it treats every now and then... this is a good opportunity to use the treats to work on training it to "shake," or "sit," or "roll over." Pet the dog as you walk by it on your way to do something else. Let the dog sit with you sometimes. LOVE IT.

I PROMISE YOU that if you do these things, your Pitbull will not "suddenly snap" and kill you. They are dogs just like any other. If you train it properly and give it expectations to follow, then it will be a great pet. If you leave it alone and abuse it and don't care for it as you should, then it will become a feral dog and it WILL kill you.

Pitbulls are NOT inherently violent with good training. They are only violent if you turn them into an animal (and not a pet) and then expect them to NOT be dangerous in a human setting.

Talk about bullshit, it's **** near easier to own a WILD ANIMAL in Ohio than it is to own a pitbull.

pitbulls.jpg

5-4-1.jpg

2040650212278_ORIG.jpg

4-3.jpg

This is Cupid, the sweetest little pitbull terrier ever. I took care of him at the animal shelter. He was nothing but a little cuddle bug and I would've taken him home if I had the money for it. There was another male pitbull there, Gordon, and a female, Daisy. All of them were extremely sociable and kind, even though Gordon was a powerful dog and sometimes didn't know his own strength xD He would knock me down trying to play.
I can't believe the idea of these dogs being at all aggressive in nature, even though there have recently been actions taken to clamp down on the ownership of these breeds of dogs.

I don't know what ever happened to cupid, but I hope he found a good home.

Badjedidude said:
What I hate to hear is that a newscast tells a story of a Pitbull attacking someone, and the reporter says, "The dog just snapped! There was no warning and no understandable cause!"

Ummmm no. I can tell you what the cause was. Stupid ******* retard owners who don't know how to train dogs. You CANNOT get an athletic breed like a Pitbull and just expect it to pick up the household rules without training. If you stick a dog (ANY DOG) on a chain and leave it in the backyard all day with no human interaction (except when YOU want to play with it), then you're abusing your dog. And it shouldn't surprise you when your abused dog strikes like it's a feral predator. Because YOU made it that way.

Pitbulls need/crave a lot of attention. Most people misinterpret this as the dog being arrogant or aggressive; actually, it's simply trying to push its way into your attention. That's why a Pitbull will paw at you or stick its huge muzzle on your lap or jump on the bed with you and lay down on you and stick its face in yours. It's NOT trying to dominate you. That's just its way of being in your intimate close area of attention.

Pitbulls also need a LOT LOT LOT of exercise. Like I've said, they are an athletic breed. Take the dog on a walk (or preferably a run) every day. Maybe even twice a day. Give the dog a HUGE yard and a wide open space to roam and patrol, so it can burn off the energy it has before coming in.

Pitbulls need to be a part of your family. Bring the dog inside, let it choose a spot in your house that is its safe zone (most dogs will do this). Give it a bed. Put out a water bowl that it can access at any time. Feed it twice a day. Give it treats every now and then... this is a good opportunity to use the treats to work on training it to "shake," or "sit," or "roll over." Pet the dog as you walk by it on your way to do something else. Let the dog sit with you sometimes. LOVE IT.

I PROMISE YOU that if you do these things, your Pitbull will not "suddenly snap" and kill you. They are dogs just like any other. If you train it properly and give it expectations to follow, then it will be a great pet. If you leave it alone and abuse it and don't care for it as you should, then it will become a feral dog and it WILL kill you.

Pitbulls are NOT inherently violent with good training. They are only violent if you turn them into an animal (and not a pet) and then expect them to NOT be dangerous in a human setting.

exactly. my dog is half pit bull and hes craves an enormous amount of attention. i didn't know much about pit bulls until after i got him. apparently if they don't get a lot of exercise or stuff to do, they become extremely destructive. other than that, he was very easy to train. potty training took less than two weeks, and he was able to learn simple commands in a couple days. Pit bulls are really nice dogs that need A LOT of love. Mine always follows me around everywhere i go and will sit at my feet. My mom tells me he gets really sad and sometimes freaks out a little when i leave the house so i think he has separation anxiety. Other than that, he is extremely loyal and tries to get love from everyone that walks in my house. (i'm still trying to teach him not to jump on people but he can barely contain himself sometimes xD). Unfortunately, many people who are unfit to have them, do and they end up becoming mean because of poor treatment/training.

Hi-
Pit bulls certainly have a bad rep, whether it's deserved or not. There's a couple of little old ladies in my neighborhood that walk around with their purse dogs but I have yet to see one strutting around with a pit bull. When I was pregnant, I mentored a girl who lived in a not-so-great neighborhood. I got to her house one day and was greeted by a pit bull barking wildly and viciously. Thankfully, it was behind a fence. I still felt vulnerable, though. When I'm out with my kiddo, I avoid people with pit bulls.
If someone chooses to own a pit bull and treats it humanely, that's fine. But I still don't like pit bulls. Whenever there's a pit bull attack in my area (one yesterday), I hear people saying pit bulls are extremely gentle, theirs saved orphaned kittens from a burning building once , etc. ;) I still don't like them and my mind is made up on that. :)

Teresa

DreamerDeceiver said:
LoneKiller said:
DreamerDeceiver said:

[edit for grammar]
Are guide dogs trained to defend their blind owners?I once saw a vid of a Great Dane just kicking the crap out of a Pitbull on shock sites I used to watch.

Any dog that is trained well and treated well will defend their owner. They say Golden Retrievers make poor guard dogs because of their naivety and friendliness to everyone, this is completely untrue about my dog. He is fanatically loyal to the family and would defend us with his life.

[Edit] I'm not well aware of the procedures that take place in training guide dogs, though to answer your question I wouldn't doubt that they would.

I once saw a vid where a Great Dane was kicking the hell out of a Pitbull on shock sites I used to view. You'd think that the Pit could easily get his jaws around the Dane's long legs and lock in. No such luck.

Latest posts

Back