Does anybody else do this?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiryu

Reaction score
okay guys, so what's up? Just wanted to say that I don't have any friends (male or female) and have never had a fbuddy or girlfriend. I am 35 years-old, and I probably haven't had what most people would refer to as a "friend" (i.e.-someone with whom you "hang out" on at least a semi-regular basis) since I was in grade school. Anyway, to address my loneliness, I'll often head out to stores like Target or Wal-Mart where I wander around aimlessly before leaving after about an hour. As you might imagine, this kinda freaks the employees out since I never buy anything. As a matter of fact, I have noticed the security guards tracking my movements, since I am sure they think I am a shoplifter (which, in their defense, is the conclusion most people would arrive at).

Hello Hiryu and welcome here. At least you might be able to find some on-line friends on ALL.

I think I do understand why you are going into the stores, just for the sake of a having a bit of humanity around you, I suspect?

But better not get arrested or you might get a lot closer to a certain kind of humanity and not be able to leave for the night lol:D

I did that before but I don't do that anymore. Hopefully you'll find some new friends on here.

Welcome to the Forum! =)

I take long walks through the busy downtown area I live in. Bumping shoulders and the bustle of the streets, the noise and commotions of pedestrians and traffic help me feel less alone. Its also good exercise.

I don't really walk around in a particular store but I do go sit in front of a Starbucks & watch people walk by... Guess some people would call that "people watching"... On days that I have next day off, I might even go out to downtown, stop at a places that have outside seatings, grab a beer and/or something to eat & do the same thing...

I don't go inside stores to wander around aimlessly but I do go to outdoor places that have people around like parks. That or I find a diner to sit down and eat slowly in for a while.

I don't think it's so strange to wander aimlessly through stores. People do that in shopping malls all of the time. It's just not as noticeable there.

nerdygirl said:
I don't think it's so strange to wander aimlessly through stores. People do that in shopping malls all of the time. It's just not as noticeable there.

^ I agree.

I just started doing this in the last year or two. I don't have friends, anyone to see or anywhere to go. Sometimes I just need to get out of the house anyway because I know it's good for me, and it's too cold (or hot) here to be outside year-round. I usually go to Target, walk around for a few hours, maybe get something to eat, and leave. If the employees are bothered by it, I've never noticed; though there was one time where I noticed a security guard following me around for awhile, trying to look inconspicuous.

I think that's a great idea for a few reasons as have been mentioned already. Exercise, being around others, and getting out of the house. Whenever I went to the beach after I hadn't been around people in awhile, I felt this sense of belonging even though no one was talking to me. I think it simply does people good to just BE around others.

i too have not had in person friends since school and currently have 1 online chat friend and thats it no one in person of course....literally my days are spent alone year in year out, not even anyone else as a safety net, if i died few would notice or care if im honest so i sympathize and deeply empathize with you completely, the isolation is honestly destroying me.

stay strong mate and you can pm me any time, id be happy to chat on skype or msn or yahoo etc too mate as people like us i feel ought to try to stick together

Welcome! :) I used to do this... I'm not wandering in the shops so much anymore. Only if buying something. :>

Sometimes I take a drive and walk through this park around my neighborhood in the early afternoon when a couple of people are around. I don't think its weird by the way.

Hiryu said:
to address my loneliness, I'll often head out to stores like Target or Wal-Mart where I wander around aimlessly before leaving after about an hour.

I do my best to avoid all stores because I other people who are dating/married can be found at stores.

Latest posts

Back