Drunk again

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt4

Reaction score
So, I've been out with work colleagues and ended up drunk again.

Soay what you want to say here. I feel relaxed but also over conscious of how I performed in big groups. For instance it was a warm night and I think I smelt a bit sweaty despite using tons of deodorant. I worry others might have smelt this. Overall the drinking is to mask how uncomfortable i feel sober.

I feel confident at times but most of the time I am extremely self critical so I go for the strongest nicest tasting Belgian beer and boom :(

Whats everyone done today?

matt4 said:

Soay what you want to say here. I feel relaxed but also over conscious of how I performed in big groups. For instance it was a warm night and I think I smelt a bit sweaty despite using tons of deodorant. I worry others might have smelt this. Overall the drinking is to mask how uncomfortable i feel sober.

I feel confident at times but most of the time I am extremely self critical so I go for the strongest nicest tasting Belgian beer and boom :(

matt, I pretty much feel the same as you. It seems all I do is work; get home and drink to mask the loneliness, the go back to work.
I worked 2 hours over today...was so happy to finally leave but once I got home I realized I'm still horribly miserable.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I feel your pain............................

My God! I hate feeling so lonely; I really miss and need companionship....
Don't really care about the sexual aspect of a relationship (LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!)

I would however, forgo a sexual relationship just to be able to talk to some one; look in their eyes; hold their hand, and yet still have them look forward
to hearing from me again tomorrow.
Oh yea, I think its called a "pipe dream".

Plungerhead said:
I would however, forgo a sexual relationship just to be able to talk to some one; look in their eyes; hold their hand, and yet still have them look forward
to hearing from me again tomorrow.
Oh yea, I think its called a "pipe dream".

Sad that something so simple should be so difficult to find.

People blow warm and cold as TripleBogey said in another thread.

True words.

matt4 said:

Try to learn to be more accepting of who you are in the now at any moment I guess. It will reduce the self criticism. It's best to look at positive things instead of doing the things you didnt do. It's hard at first but the more you think positive thoughts when negative pop in, the less the negative thoughts will be. Ofcourse
with alcohol these thoughts sometimes come in more so it's harder to stop those thoughts. ;)

I wonder though which beer? ( westmalle? :p )

I should stay off Alcohol more. It makes me far to self-critical. I'm self-critical enough, I try thinking of positive things. I think work makes things a whole lot worse. The set of people are very different to me. I over analyse everything that happened that night. It's just crazy. I hate it... I managed to crack my confidence issues somewhat but my over analysis of myself has continued.

It wasn't anything special only leffe. (and they only had it in a bottle!) :(

The bottle can be a pleasant companion in so many ways, I know because I've been there, but whatever assistance one thinks it gives, alcohol takes its payback and the bargain is always a bad one.

There's a Japanese proverb: First the man takes a drink,
Then the drink takes a drink,
Then the drink takes the man.

If you simply MUST drink, then do not let your drinking go beyond the first line of that proverb.

Fixing what's gotten out of control is so much harder than keeping things controlled in the first place.

matt4 said:
I should stay off Alcohol more. It makes me far to self-critical. I'm self-critical enough, I try thinking of positive things. I think work makes things a whole lot worse. The set of people are very different to me. I over analyse everything that happened that night. It's just crazy. I hate it... I managed to crack my confidence issues somewhat but my over analysis of myself has continued.

It wasn't anything special only leffe. (and they only had it in a bottle!) :(

Yeah drinking booze if you're not feeling so great is a bit of a mistake, you kinda dig yourself deeper into a hole... On the plus side least you were out socializing with people; and I really wouldn't worry about the way the smelled because "fresh" sweat is actually quite odorless (But obviously you can smell it more yourself since it's psychological) only when it's stale lol.

I don't know where to go sometimes. Sometimes I get extremely lonely and get sad about all the rejection in face regarding women. All I want is to date and meet people but it always goes wrong. That's why I've turned to Alcohol these past few months but as you say I feel no better for it. Just that the hurt is magnified and I feel useless the next day.

A good early night would probably help me too, but then I spend so much time thinking about stuff. Grr :(:(

I'm drinking for the first time in months and all it's doing is reminding me of things that I wish I could forget: people, places, times...

If anything, it's reinforcing my feelings of loneliness, not alleviating them.

matt4 said:
I don't know where to go sometimes. Sometimes I get extremely lonely and get sad about all the rejection in face regarding women. All I want is to date and meet people but it always goes wrong. That's why I've turned to Alcohol these past few months but as you say I feel no better for it. Just that the hurt is magnified and I feel useless the next day.

A good early night would probably help me too, but then I spend so much time thinking about stuff. Grr :(:(

I think you need to distract yourself from relationships and dwelling, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking how a relationship will "save" them but in my opinion you should feel a bit more stable to be able to commit to a lasting relationship. It's almost like people become dependent on finding someone, I believe you should be able to cope well on your own an be happy with who you are, first.

Discover a hobby or passion, anything really that involved you not just thinking about this stuff a lot.

Latest posts

Back