Employment and places to live

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostInside

Reaction score
So the bottom line is that I am currently unemployed. I do occasional contract work for this company when it is available, however it is never more than 40 hours a month, hardly enough to get by on. I just graduated from college and have two degrees. I have my current apartment until the end of July then I am in a real situation. I don't have enough money to find a new place and being unemployed I probably could not sign a lease. I've applied to no less than several dozen jobs and I have had a few interviews but they have all gone poor.

I am obviously trying to plan for the best and find a real job that is at least part time, unlike the current random set of work hours. However what should I do if my lease is up and I have no job and no new apartment? My parents and I aren't exactly on the best terms and they would just ridicule me if I asked them if I could move back in temporarily. Beside that I have no other choices other than potentially living out of my car for awhile.

Any advice out there

Scary honeysuckle, I been lookin' for a job here in Arizona for a year now. I'd say your best bet is to scramble for anything. I haven't started hitting up fast food joints yet, hoping there are some hiring.

I'd say your best bet is to hit up as many minimum wage places you can and do the craiglist thing... see if u can't pull of a couple minimum wage jobs and work your ass off.

Or maybe take out a loan if u have the kind of credit u can do that with... so u can get an apartment and pay rent for a few months while u find work.

If things don't work out, sounds like living out of the car or asking for help are the only options. My heart goes out to you, good luck.

What yesm said is pretty much the only options you have. I feel for you though. I just graduated college as well. I know how tough the constant job search is, especially when you have just put a lot of work into getting a degree. Because then you don't just want to settle for anything, you want something that you feel is worth all that work that you put in for that degree.

Just keep looking, something is bound to come up.

Good luck, I hope you find a good job!

I think they feel I'm being more or less lazy with regards to finding a job, I have definitely felt that from them. We do have a fairly poor relationship. Obviously if I have to move back in temporarily I will ask them. Today I applied to more than 12 jobs in various states because nothing is keeping me where I am so I am free to have a job anywhere in the country.

As for not going back to my parents their is a legitimate reason not to other than pride. They live over 300 miles away and up here I get occasional contract labor work and I would have to leave that if I moved. They live in a small town with almost no job opportunities in the field of chemistry and forensics, population <65,000 and I would be still be living in a major metro area, albeit out of my car, where I could potentially find more real part time work or a full time job, population >5,000,000. So there are some reasons to stay around for a while longer.

However I still got more than a month left on my lease and I heard back from two places today!! (two exclamation points for two responses asking me for more information)

You can always consider the military, though I really dislike it when the military is considered as a place of last resort rather than the institution where honor and discipline can be recognized. Its a good sight better than sleeping on the streets and can install worthwhile values for a lifetime, not to mention, help cover your education in the future.

IgnoredOne said:
You can always consider the military, though I really dislike it when the military is considered as a place of last resort rather than the institution where honor and discipline can be recognized. Its a good sight better than sleeping on the streets and can install worthwhile values for a lifetime, not to mention, help cover your education in the future.

I really did consider the military when I was younger in my early twenties. I'm twenty five now and even though that is not old, I am definitely not the military type, not strong enough, fast enough, tough enough. I have a phone conference today with a potential employer so that is awesome.

I know one guy who was a professor who lost his job and sat around, wondering what to do next. I know another guy with a bachelor's degree who couldn't find a job, so he decided to be a bagger at a grocery store. Guess which one kept his bills paid?

Latest posts

Back