FOR MEN: Looks don't mean honeysuckle...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPUA

Reaction score
I heard this numerous times before, I didn't truly understand and believe it until I finally started getting female attention from being confident with myself.

You see, I always had a nerdy look to me, and really, I still do. I have teeth that are slowly decaying, my smile looks goofy, my skin is pale, I look like I'm sixteen (I'm 21 by the way), and my face has features that aren't traditionally (to media standards) what some would say is SEXY. However, I've had women tell me "you're cute" or, "you're really sexy". Despite not fitting a traditional mould, I've made it work. How do you ask? Well. I groom myself, I make sure I'm bathed, I consistently brush my teeth, I wear casual clothes that I find comfortable, I make sure my clothes are clean, I excercise, in other words, I take care of myself.

And what if I didn't?

I've went out before having not shaved, wearing clothes I wore the night before and I've even went as far to have not brushed my teeth. I still got the same results because I was confident enough to tell myself, you're a sexy ************, and thus women picked up on that and felt the same way.

What I'm getting at is... Looks don't mean honeysuckle! Seriously.

Now, to be honest, it's VERY hard to be an ugly mother ****** if you're a man. Really it is. Unless you're deformed to the point of looking like the elephant man (which I even believe could still pick up SOME women if he worked at it), then you're in the clear. You're able to attract ALOT of beautiful women.

Thing is, the "looks matter" is a cop out. It works like this, a man approachs a woman, she rejects him, he figures since it's the logical thing to do, the rejection was because he wasn't attractive enough. Why would he think this way? Well, we as men judge women on their looks first, then take everything else secondary. Well, women don't. They MAY say "that guys sexy," fresia they may even say, "I only date guys who are body builders," but if that guy who was sexy came up to her asking about dungeons and dragons mumbling the whole time, standing slouched over, pulling out his gameboy offering her tips on the latest Zelda game, she's going to be unattracted completely. Where as us men, if the woman did that who was completely ******* gorgeous, we'd overlook that because we'd only be thinking about how sexy she looks.

So, before I get, "WELL EVEN IF LOOKS DON'T MATTER, I KNOW STATUS DOES. STATUS MEANS HAVING NICE CLOTHES AND MONEY." No it ******* doesn't. Status means LIVING FOR SOMETHING, KNOWING THAT YOU'RE VALUABLE. THAT'S IT. Of course, some will assume you're valuable if you have money, but, if you don't, you can still make it work.

This was a question I always told myself when I was told looks don't really mean a whole lot: "well then how come attractive guys are ALWAYS with attractive women?"

Well, take the social halo theory for instance. Women assume, because he's attractive, he has all the OTHER sexy traits that TRULY attract her. However, say this SUPER sexy guy is also a nice guy who does EVERYTHING for her. A lot of the times, a lot of conflict occurs, she finds herself less and less attracted to him, and it results in her cheating and leaving him, or marriage. Haha. (I took some of that from the dating coach David DeAngelo's ebook).

Also, when I saw a guy who I thought was traditionally ugly in terms of physical looks with a woman I considered gorgeous, I figured, "well he has nicer teeth than me, and he wears nice clothes so that's how he did it," I would obsess about keeping my teeth looking as nice as possible, and go on shopping binges for the most stylish clothes. I still had no results with women apart from female friends saying, "nice shirt." Bullshit.

So, WHAT DO LOOKS MEAN THEN? They mean that you get a better interview with the woman to be "possibly selected" by her. But, that's about it. Sure, the guy who has NO GAME might get lucky once in awhile, but fundamentally, he will also probably have a lot of bleh relationships if he doesn't feel valuable, and in turn, feel pretty bad until he values himself.

See, I have a friend Chris, this guy is super quiet, doesn't really socialize much, but girls tell him he's "sexy." Naturally, he has male model looks. Girls think he's gorgeous. However, this guy will have a lot of girls who are mediocre chasing after him, and girls who we would say are gorgeous interested in him. However, EVERYTIME Chris ever pursued these girls who we consider gorgeous, he did everything an "ugly" (note the qoutation marks) nice guy would do. Buy her drinks, shower her with gifts and listen to whatever she told him in hopes of getting somewhere. He gets rejected. Why? Because he doesn't see himself as being REALLY VALUABLE and thus, he's not confident.

What's sexy then?

If you got anything out of this thus far, FEELING VALUABLE = CONFIDENCE. CONFIDENCE IS THE SEXIEST TRAIT A MAN CAN HAVE. So, you could look like lurch, have twenty dollars to your name, but if you're valuable and women see you that way through your confidence, you're a sexy ************ to women. Really.

Looks don't ******* matter. Confidence does.

Reading this made me want to stick needles in my eyes and pour gasoline up my nose. I can never get back the previous five minutes of my life. tsk, tsk

I believe MrPUA meant well. I really do. However, I really had to step in and address something.

"if that guy who was sexy came up to her asking about dungeons and dragons mumbling the whole time, standing slouched over, pulling out his gameboy offering her tips on the latest Zelda game, she's going to be unattracted completely. "

For the love of pancakes, that's a lie straight from the center of Hell. Outside of the slouching thing... I would be happy to roll his D100 and play Zelda. I agree about self confidence. Have the confidence to be you, though. If you spend your time as a Paladin slaying orcs to defend the innocents... that's fine. Really!

Oh, by the way. If your teeth are rotting, please see a dentist. It's not a fashion statement.

nerdygirl said:
I believe MrPUA meant well. I really do. However, I really had to step in and address something.

"if that guy who was sexy came up to her asking about dungeons and dragons mumbling the whole time, standing slouched over, pulling out his gameboy offering her tips on the latest Zelda game, she's going to be unattracted completely. "

For the love of pancakes, that's a lie straight from the center of Hell. Outside of the slouching thing... I would be happy to roll his D100 and play Zelda. I agree about self confidence. Have the confidence to be you, though. If you spend your time as a Paladin slaying orcs to defend the innocents... that's fine. Really!

Oh, by the way. If your teeth are rotting, please see a dentist. It's not a fashion statement.

haha, of course. I was trying to sound stereotypical. haha. But certainly, BE CONFIDENT WITH WHO YOU ARE, is exactly what I was getting at.

Well, I'm fine with anyone as long as they are clean and neat about themselves, and are decent people. Has nothing to do with looks really, but how you present yourself and how you treat others.

I still see nothing to suggest that the PUA theory of life is the way to go.

I guess I'll just go oldskool and stick with being an awesome man, instead of just projecting to club girls that I am an awesome man.

I don't even know what the "pua way of life" is. I learned from PUAs HOW TO BE a awesome man. I use PUA ideas to understand the social scene, and I can't say I've been dissapointed.

No, Mr PUA, you learned how to have casual sex with drunk women, not to be an awesome man. Which isn't very difficult really, some of us have more ethics, that's all.

Eve, pass the needles and gasoline please :p

EveWasFramed said:
Reading this made me want to stick needles in my eyes and pour gasoline up my nose. I can never get back the previous five minutes of my life. tsk, tsk

I found this comment immature and unnecessary and so much for moderators being impartial.

If you didn't like or agree with what he said - you could of at least told him why in the form of a constructive on-topic response to his post.

In my experience on other forums, Moderators treat members and their posts with respect whether they agree with them or not. Moderators set the standard for the forum, they are looked up to and respected by the members of the forum as a whole. Moderators should show respect, decency, maturity, sensiblity, level-headedness and so on, to fellow forum members and their posts. As a moderator you should care about how you present yourself and how members percive you to be.

I just felt you won't showing any qualities of a Moderator with that post.

Steel said:
No, Mr PUA, you learned how to have casual sex with drunk women, not to be an awesome man. Which isn't very difficult really, some of us have more ethics, that's all.

Eve, pass the needles and gasoline please :p
Not once did I promote, "having casual sex with drunk women" haha. I'm not interested in that. People seem to associate (on this forum from some of the posts I've seen) PUA with being a snake. I guess that's a product of ignorance.

Nostalgia said:
I found this comment immature and unnecessary and so much for moderators being impartial.

If you didn't like or agree with what he said - you could of at least told him why in the form of a constructive on-topic response to his post.

In my experience on other forums, Moderators treat members and their posts with respect whether they agree with them or not. Moderators set the standard for the forum, they are looked up to and respected by the members of the forum as a whole. Moderators should show respect, decency, maturity, sensiblity, level-headedness and so on, to fellow forum members and their posts. As a moderator you should care about how you present yourself and how members percive you to be.

I believe Eve was expressing an opinion, something which she has EVERY right to do. Eve possesses all the qualities you describe in abundance; this does not, in any way, remove her right for personal expression.

The member concerned (MrPUA) has consistently said the same few things over and over again, believing himself to be some kind of lifstyle guru. This is not only pretentious, it could cause real damage to a real person's life. Advice is one thing; he came here to preach.

He is basically recycling D'Angelo stuff (which has been around on the internet for years) and passing it off as his own work.

If you disagree with the right for a moderator to hold an opinion, then I suggest you find a forum on which they are not allowed to do so (if, indeed, such exists). Have a nice day.

MrPUA said:
Not once did I promote, "having casual sex with drunk women" haha. I'm not interested in that. People seem to associate (on this forum from some of the posts I've seen) PUA with being a snake. I guess that's a product of ignorance.

Oh, so you don't advocate approaching a wide variety of women in nightclubs, and your username isn't short for "Mr Pick Up Artist"? Perhaps your goal of approaching women is just to share embroidery tips and tricks?

Please, enlighten us all, and reveal exactly how long you have been in your current relationship? :)

beef ;) I like where this thread is going. I think that looks DO matter, cuz that's just how the world is. some people are so ignorant, they wouldn't be seen with the ugliest person in the world no matter how "confident" that person is.

Steel said:
MrPUA said:

Oh, so you don't advocate approaching a wide variety of women in nightclubs, and your username isn't short for "Mr Pick Up Artist"? Perhaps your goal of approaching women is just to share embroidery tips and tricks?

Please, enlighten us all, and reveal exactly how long you have been in your current relationship? :)

I advocate going for what you want.

EDIT:
In response to everyone else, I do not tell anyone how to live their lives, I only give advice on things that have worked well for me and many others. No one can tell you how to live your life, you make your own decisions. If you have an issue with that, that's cool. Everyone has right to an opinion.

Sorry, I seem to have missed the answer to my question there, MrPUA. Do I need to repeat it?

Steel said:
The member concerned (MrPUA) has consistently said the same few things over and over again, believing himself to be some kind of lifstyle guru. This is not only pretentious, it could cause real damage to a real person's life. Advice is one thing; he came here to preach.

He is basically recycling D'Angelo stuff (which has been around on the internet for years) and passing it off as his own work.

Sorry I wasn't aware of this members (MrPUA) previous history as I'm relatively new to the forum.

Don't get wrong I'm all for members expressing their opinion and speaking their mind (as you will see throughout my other posts). I thought people were making fun of MrPUA's post (especially that comment from Eve) so I just came to assumptions and determined that was silly behaviour from a Moderator - needless to say I didn't know the full story so accept my apologies.

Nostalgia said:
EveWasFramed said:

You are the pot, calling the kettle black. I've already had to edit one of your posts, where you made fun of someone for their GRAMMAR of all things.
Have a nice day. :)

MrPUA, I don't see how your "way of life" works. I'm sorry, I just don't. Your approach towards women is just... How do I put this... It's just no. Just simply no. I can't believe some guys, or women, actually believe and think what you do. Whatever happened to guys just being genuine and honest, and getting a woman's attention that way?

Nostalgia said:
Steel said:

Sorry I wasn't aware of this members (MrPUA) previous history as I'm relatively new to the forum.

Don't get wrong I'm all for members expressing their opinion and speaking their mind (as you will see throughout my other posts). I thought people were making fun of MrPUA's post (especially that comment from Eve) so I just came to assumptions and determined that was silly behaviour from a Moderator - needless to say I didn't know the full story so accept my apologies.

There are always lessons to be learned. We should consider this one of them I suppose. No harm, no foul.

Latest posts

Back