FOR MEN: Looks don't mean honeysuckle...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesse said:
To be honest I think it's bullcrap that looks don't matter.

A lady at work was telling me about a time she was in a big hot-tub when about 5 very pretty women got in the other side. Not long after some guy (who my lady friend at work said was hot) entered the room. Immediately all of the women were talking about how hot he was and tried to get him to get into the hot tub. Had he been an unattractive guy that wouldn't have happened.

I'm not saying confidence isn't important, but looks will give you a starting advantage.

Well, Jesse, looks matter to some, and looks don't matter to others. Personally, I think it's shallow to care about looks so much. Perhaps looks matter to you more than anything else. Because what's pretty to you isn't always pretty to someone else.

the way i always looked at it, i dont think anyone can say 100% that they dont matter. looks is the first thing you notice when you first SEE someone. unless its an online situation where you dont show each other your looks right away of course looks will be the first thing you notice.

Jesse said:
A lady at work was telling me about a time she was in a big hot-tub when about 5 very pretty women got in the other side. Not long after some guy (who my lady friend at work said was hot) entered the room. Immediately all of the women were talking about how hot he was and tried to get him to get into the hot tub. Had he been an unattractive guy that wouldn't have happened.

It's about charm, not looks. If the guy was unattractive, but a hilarious, cheery, fun guy, then YES, he would have ended up in that blessed hot-tub of womens.

Badjedidude said:
Jesse said:

It's about charm, not looks. If the guy was unattractive, but a hilarious, cheery, fun guy, then YES, he would have ended up in that blessed hot-tub of womens.

Thank you, Jedi, for saying what I couldn't seem to say in my reply. Not being able to say what's on my mind, ftl.

I think looks matter, for sure, but not necessarily in a uniform, inevitable way. like people have been saying, the way you carry yourself, your attitude etc, is spades more important than your genetic disposition.

How many times have I seen a hot girl, and thought how attractive she was, only for her to open her mouth and say something that totally invalidates her good looks? happens way too often. almost immediately, she becomes unattractive. call me crazy, but that's how it goes for my crazy perception.

on another note, this girl I had a crush on, who to my mind seemed to be roughly 18 million times out of my league; well, I recently saw pics of her fiancée, and man, that dude is average looking! so power to both of them! just goes to show that looks in and of themselves don't necessarily determine who we end up with. at the end of the day, it's still all in the eye of the beholder. :D

edgecrusher said:
the way i always looked at it, i dont think anyone can say 100% that they dont matter. looks is the first thing you notice when you first SEE someone. unless its an online situation where you dont show each other your looks right away of course looks will be the first thing you notice.

Exactly. If I walked into the room and I looked like this-

SSJabbatheHutt.jpg

My chances would automatically be way less than if I walked in and looked like this-

JacobBlack.jpg

No matter how much confidence I had. Even if it didn't matter what I look like, confidence is something I don't think I'll ever have.

Yeah but let's be realistic here Jesse.

Jabba the Hut is a crime lord. Women have a history of flocking to him because of the shadow powers he commands, and if they don't, he captures them anyway and I'm sure they learn to love him after a few years of being chained at his...uh...I want to say 'feet' here, but I don't recall Jabba having feet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I remember him.

Whereas if that sparkly fairy-boy actually showed his face, he would be dead shortly thereafter, when all the real, self-respecting, non-sparkly, non-metrosexual, I-mean-fuckin'-business vampires caught news of his whereabouts. It's hard to give heartless killing machines a worse name than they already have, but when you manage to actually do so by embarrassing them on the silver screen, your number is pretty much up. Edward might make it in to the hot tub, this is true. But that hot tub might very well soon be a gory bloodbath (literally! Oh, the wit). Those lovely ladies would soon witness the error of their ways. Assuming they survived, they would need repeat counseling sessions to recover.

Brian said:

Jabba the Hut is a crime lord. Women have a history of flocking to him because of the shadow powers he commands, and if they don't, he captures them anyway and I'm sure they learn to love him after a few years of being chained at his...uh...I want to say 'feet' here, but I don't recall Jabba having feet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I remember him.

Whereas if that sparkly fairy-boy actually showed his face, he would be dead shortly thereafter, when all the real, self-respecting, non-sparkly, non-metrosexual, I-mean-fuckin'-business vampires caught news of his whereabouts. It's hard to give heartless killing machines a worse name than they already have, but when you manage to actually do so by embarrassing them on the silver screen, your number is pretty much up. Edward might make it in to the hot tub, this is true. But that hot tub might very well soon be a gory bloodbath (literally! Oh, the wit). Those lovely ladies would soon witness the error of their ways. Assuming they survived, they would need repeat counseling sessions to recover.

I never really thought about it that way! Makes sense. :)

Brian said:

I never really thought about

Brian said:

Duh, Brian, that's not sparkly heart-throb Edward, that's Jacob... a werewolf, not a vampire! Totally un-sparkly and non-metro. In fact, those werewolves are supposed to be the essence of unbridled, testosterone-fueled nascent masculinity in opposition to the sparkly, emo vampires.

It's clear you are no Twilight fanatic. Tsk.

Brian said:

I'm gay for you because you said this. :p

XD lol... I ******* HATE those twilight emo-fag vampires.

Badjedidude said:
Jesse said:

This has made me LMAO big time: 'The blessed hot-tub of womens'. Oh man, I know, I'm easily amused - but that one's not gonna leave me.

Of course, it must be said that the blessed hot-tub of womens can have its downside...

:O

... but that's still not a vampire in the picture. That was a werewolf. Not sparkly, and kind of rugged.

Not that I'm defending those movies. I am not a fan. But still.

I think people put too much value on looks, and not enough value on the content of the person. Like Sucka said, someone can be pretty, sure, but if they open their mouth and it's just not intelligent... I think that speaks for itself. Like my aunt, she's a model, beautiful as can be. But she's one of the most meanest people I know. Her beauty doesn't cancel out the fact that she'll kick you while you're down.

Nilla you and sucka make a great point. The problem is its easy for people to ignore flaws in a personality when you find them physically attractive
It should be vise versa.

Latest posts

Back