Forever single, how do i accept that?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ that's comic seems pretty fun.
Thanks for the link.

aspalas said:
Why not? I'm going to study what I love, move out, meet new people, live in a new city... I can't imagine being in a better place. I liked high school but I think most people agree with me that studying is the best time of your life. Especially when you're really doing something you like. Art school in my case.

And possibly being crammed in a room with another guy, being reasonably broke, have no real friends or family there.

To each their own though, I guess.

I live in the Netherlands, my hometown will just be a 1 hour train ride. Besides that, it's very uncommon here to live in a room with someone else, and my parents saved enough money to pay for my education.

Why are you all so negative about high school and college/university? You'll never have that much freedom, and you'll be doing something you like, meet a lot of people... What's wrong with looking forward to that?

Obviously, because I didn't have as much freedom in school/university as I do now that I work.

And it's nice looking forward to, for a lot of people with educational loans though, college is not nearly as carefree and happy-go-lucky due to the looming danger. Suppose it could be for those that don't look further ahead than their nose.

I understand, I don't know where you live but in the Netherlands education is quite cheap because we don't have (a lot of) private schools. We just have one private University, and a couple of private high schools. The university is one of the best business schools on earth as far as I know (Nyenrode University), and is relatively cheap, about 20k a year. The private high schools are more expensive but are nowhere near the best high schools in the country.

A normal University charges about 2500 euro's a year (including books). Every student here gets about 300 euro's a month from our government, so education is pretty much free. Students usually do have a debt but not as high as in the US, and if you don't make enough money to pay off your debt the government will lower it or just pay it for you.

Alright, maybe I'm mistaken but money is the limiting factor for most students, right now I can afford to go out much more and DO many more things that have associated costs.

I guess you've got a point, it really depends where your family stands financially. If you're one of these lucky guys, I'm envious of your family's money.

My family isn't super rich, but my parents make more money than average dutch people. Luckily they've saved enough money to pay for the fees for at least my bachelor, and probably my master too. I'm also lucky to live in the Netherlands because as I said, education is cheap, and available for everyone. This doesn't mean the education is bad by the way, almost all our universities are in the top 100 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/data...es-reputation-rankings-times-higher-education). Students get money from the government, and are able to borrow money without interest.

I think it's rediculous how expensive education is in some countries. It doesn't matter how much money you have here. I went to one of the best high schools of our country (a Gymnasium/grammar school http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(school) ), and it's just as cheap as any other high school (about 300 euro's a year). As long as your smart enough you can achieve anything, I think it's sick to charge a student almost 50000$ for just one year like some universities in the US do.

Obviously we have to pay more taxes later on, but at least you don't really have to worry about money for education (and things like healthcare) here.

Latest posts

Back