Freaked out over office firings

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avalon

Reaction score
It was a madhouse at work today. Six people were fired due to poor performance and downsizing. Two had to be hauled out by security, literally screaming and kicking because they did not want to leave. Maybe they had kids to feed, rent to pay.

The whole thing has rattled the entire office. No one's ever been fired here before. And it's too sudden. Seems like not even a 2 week notice.

It's freaking me out!!!

No one knows when the next round of nukes will fall. Hopefully, it won't be for some time, if at all.

My parents are retired so they're just on a fixed income (pension). I'm the only one working in the family. I can't afford to lose my job!

I am so distressed right now, I'm going crazy :(

I am sorry that you are going through that. Having been through it too many times i know how unsettling it is. I hope things settle down fast and they decide that round puts them where they want to be so that no more terminations or layoffs are needed.

Ugh, jeez. That must have been so crazy to see. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Avalon said:
No one's ever been fired here before. And it's too sudden. Seems like not even a 2 week notice.
Is that even legal where you are, unless they did something really serious to warrant such quick dismissal?

Shouldn't they get some kind of notice or severance package?

I wish you all the best though, good luck!

Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!
I'm really losing it tonite. I'm mindlessly googling other jobs and pacing back and forth in the house.
I hope I'll be ok too... I'm the somewhere in the middle type of worker. Anyone have any tips to relieve the stress i'm feeling right now?

DesertWolf said:
Avalon said:
No one's ever been fired here before. And it's too sudden. Seems like not even a 2 week notice.
Is that even legal where you are, unless they did something really serious to warrant such quick dismissal?

Maybe they were told in advance/ or warned before, I'm not sure. I'm guessing their performance must have some issues in the past, cuz I find is strange too they are released just like that *snaps fingers*

I'm no model worker, in fact, I probably figure in the bottom third.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
There is no guarantee that what happened to them, will happen to you. Stop freaking.

I really needed to hear that. Thank you.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
There is no guarantee that what happened to them, will happen to you. Stop freaking.

This. It's fine to prepare yourself for plan B, but don't assume it will come to that and panic.

dude, the same thing happened at my work at the beginning of the 2008 financial crisis. our company was dropping people like raid drops flies, even people in management and people that had been with the company for years. i dreaded coming to work during that time because i always thought, "well, today might be my last day. i might get canned today and lose pretty much everything". luckily, i'm still here.

i can't tell you not to think about it and that it's going to get better, because i've been through that and i know what it feels like going crazy because you think you're going to lose your job. i guess all i can say is that it's not the end of the world. i had a backup plan in case i did get canned. unfortunately, it required forefitting a lot of life's luxuries that i have, but hey, at least i would've still had a place to stay and food to eat. i think that's the most important thing. i really wish you luck, friend.

It's called seeing the writing on the wall. Start updating your resume and start looking around for a new job. No need to wait for them to come after you if you can land something betterhand.

Latest posts

Back