Friends with Cuddle Benefits

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 reasons I wouldn't cuddle with a man: Based on feedback from experience, I always thought cuddling between mature adults was like foreplay? Therefore, I wouldn't cuddle with a man because it's not that kind of relationship I'm into and I wouldn't want to break a man's spirit if he is into that. Negative experiences can totally kill a person's self-esteem. I'm not into doing that either.

A man and woman cuddling just for the fun of it is probably rare without either party having ulterior motives.

I have to put in my 5 cents on this one.

I do this A LOT (except there's kissing involved too). I call them gray area guy friends. Few can put up with this type of relationship. I'm not sure how they do it either...but somehow it works. I'm celibate...and I make sure they know what they are getting themselves into as early as possible.

Usually it starts out with a guy that's interested in me. For whatever reason a serious relationship doesn't work out but we stay friends...and we go into a hook-up-with-no-sex phase, in which we just hang out and get all touchy but nothing else. Maybe not quite the same thing...

Well....my best guy friend in undergrad was very huggy with me and all my girl friends too. But, we would actually hold hands sometimes when we were walking with our mutual friends to a party or something. If our friends were all chatting together in a hang out and I came and sat next to him, he'd rub my back or something like that. And after a few drinks we'd start cuddling. We ended up kissing once.......I think he had a crush on me. Anyway, we both were romantically interested in other people so a romantic relationship between us never blossomed.

So...I think its possible. Just have to be careful to do it right and end things before feelings start to grow too strong.

somber_radiance said:
I have to put in my 5 cents on this one.

I do this A LOT (except there's kissing involved too). I call them gray area guy friends. Few can put up with this type of relationship. I'm not sure how they do it either...but somehow it works. I'm celibate...and I make sure they know what they are getting themselves into as early as possible.

Usually it starts out with a guy that's interested in me. For whatever reason a serious relationship doesn't work out but we stay friends...and we go into a hook-up-with-no-sex phase, in which we just hang out and get all touchy but nothing else. Maybe not quite the same thing... Sometimes its just a guy friend I become really close to (emotionally) and then things start getting physical, but there's enough respect/control or the guy's way too shy/nonaggressive so that it never turns sexual.

True though it's usually related to a party-type setting or alcohol (but not always). Idk...maybe they are hopeful they can change my mind about sex?

They are called beta orbitters. Google it. I would either get in your pants or be on to the next one. None of this kissing from time to time stuff. Haha

They are called beta orbitters. Google it. I would either get in your pants or be on to the next one. None of this kissing from time to time stuff. Haha

Interesting...I didn't know they had a term for this. It definitely describes my best guy friend (see above...I edited my post while you were replying to it).

On the contrary....I don't think all of them are like this. I had another guy in undergrad that would "booty call" me if his f-buddy wasn't available. He was extremely aggressive and tried to push my boundaries. I would have to kick him out of my place...and it usually took like 30 min to do so. Definitely felt like I was playing with fire.

Yeah, playing with fire might be a good way to describe that, lol. I think this all might be on some level, which is why clear definitions of boundaries and open discussion are key. Also probably a good standing relationship to begin with.

Men like sex more than attention. Women like attention more than sex. Any arrangement where a woman gets attention and affection without having to "give up the goods" is clearly a case of a subordinate male supplicating himself and his needs/desires to the whims of a girl he fancies far, far too much. There are 3,499,999,999 more out there who would enjoy his attention AND work his cock. Just sayn.

Frito Bandito said:
Men like sex more than attention. Women like attention more than sex. Any arrangement where a woman gets attention and affection without having to "give up the goods" is clearly a case of a subordinate male supplicating himself and his needs/desires to the whims of a girl he fancies far, far too much. There are 3,499,999,999 more out there who would enjoy his attention AND work his cock. Just sayn.

I'd have to disagree. While this may be true for a large percentage of men, I don't think you can generalize quite that much.

Frito Bandito said:

Maybe I'm just that powerful ;)
Jk....a few of these guys were legitimately falling for me....and I guess I was just being an attention whore. Needless to say, these "relationships" didn't ever last very long. With two or three exceptions, they mostly lasted a couple weeks.

vfa6x said:
Frito Bandito said:

I'd have to disagree. While this may be true for a large percentage of men, I don't think you can generalize quite that much.

Not all generalizations are bad. "Over"-generalizations are bad. Life is full of generalizations. It becomes a collective baseline of what we call common sense. Also, it's not as though it's a new concept. Pick up any womens' or mens' magazine and read the articles about "what makes her happy" and "what makes him happy". This is generations old...

Frito Bandito said:
vfa6x said:
Frito Bandito said:

Not all generalizations are bad. "Over"-generalizations are bad. Life is full of generalizations. It becomes a collective baseline of what we call common sense. Also, it's not as though it's a new concept. Pick up any womens' or mens' magazine and read the articles about "what makes her happy" and "what makes him happy". This is generations old...

Oh man, I'm having a ball on this forum.

I agree that many dudes out there are after sex. Yea some of my guy friends pressure me about sex... but I do also enjoy some nights with them just lying in bed and talking about life. I know you guys have your mushy side too. It's kind of cute sometimes.

somber_radiance said:
Oh man, I'm having a ball on this forum.
I agree that many dudes out there are after sex. Yea some of my guy friends pressure me about sex... but I do also enjoy some nights with them just lying in bed and talking about life. I know you guys have your mushy side too. It's kind of cute sometimes.

Your guy friends = friends with benefits?

I've done/do this with one of my exes sometimes when we hang out. No, it's not about trying to hook up with someone or anything like that. It just feels good and is comforting. Plus I like to keep it teasing and playful so its fun/stress relieving too. It's nice to have someone to do that with when you need someone to comfort you when you're lonely or someone to just have a fun time with.

You are not trying to have sex or start a relationship with this person. Just enjoy each other. Just like fwb situations, if either person wants more and the other person isn't interested, it won't work. If you want more from the start, it's not going to end up nicely.

I also have one guy friend that is pretty into hugs and physical contact and stuff like that so I don't mind that kind of stuff from him either.

I'm pretty confident that my brain chemistry is a lot different than most males though so maybe I'm just one of the exceptions where this kind of thing can work.

And yeah Somber Radiance, if you are cuddling with guys when you know they are interested in more and you are not, you are being an attention whore I do agree. :/ Lots of people are though so it's normal I guess.

Since the term beta orbiters is being thrown around, I'll simplify it for ppls who don't want to look it up. If your are a girl and you ever just said "Let's just be friends" to a guy, you really meant "Let's just let you be my beta orbiter". The better way to do it would be, "Hey I don't like you like that and I never will. If you keep trying nothing will happen." THEN you say "Lets just be friends".

somber_radiance said:
Frito Bandito said:

Maybe I'm just that powerful ;)
Jk....a few of these guys were legitimately falling for me....and I guess I was just being an attention whore. Needless to say, these "relationships" didn't ever last very long. With two or three exceptions, they mostly lasted a couple weeks.

Yeah I think you are playing with fire but i guess that is why you like it because you know you can get your jollies off and pretend that the guy is fine with it. Not all guys will be that submissive to you and just settle for the cuddle and kiss. Some guys are fine with thinking they can "get" lucky with you but other guys will want more and they are really wrong for feeling that way.

I'm just going to come straight out with it, this "men like sex, women like attention" stuff is absolute bollocks. I think it's false, sweeping generalisations like this which give people deluded preconceptions when it comes to relationships.

If you listen to your average girl having a "private" conversation with her girlfriends, you'll notice that the topics that come up are just as dirty (if not more so!) than the sort of things you can overhear groups of guys saying.

Both men and women are biologically geared to participate in and enjoy sex. There is no gender issue with regards to "who likes it more" - that just seems to be a huge urban myth spouted by tabloids in an effort to sell more crappy papers.

That's coupled with some good ol' fashioned traditionalist BS that goes back to the Victorian days, where men were seen as dashing rogues and women were perceived as blushing maidens. Rubbish!

Men also like emotional investment and attention: I personally like the idea of receiving attention from a girl far more than just the thought of sex. I'd go as far as to say I don't feel comfortable or ready for a sexual relationship, I just want to feel like I'm close to a girl and of emotional value to her.

I think if you speak to the majority of mature, sensible men (both those who are lonely and those who aren't), you'll find that intelligent conversation, humour, having someone to share hobbies and cuddles with and so on ranks far more importantly in a relationship than just having an emotionless but attractive person they can sleep with constantly.

(this thread has turned to crap! just sayin. i thought it was trolling at first because the OP talked about a dude who had lots of girlfriends who was comfortable laying down and cuddling with other dudes. if it's not trolling i apologize but i believe this thread has taken a turn toward the shi**er. it went from someone who had a question to someone raving on about how sexy and manipulative they think they are.)

I don't know how many other forums you are on but this tends to be the norm, most threads go a little or far off topic. Especially with a topic as this was, it's bound to go to the way it did. No need to call it crap, if you don't like it then don't bother posting in it.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I'm just going to come straight out with it, this "men like sex, women like attention" stuff is absolute bollocks. I think it's false, sweeping generalisations like this which give people deluded preconceptions when it comes to relationships.

If you listen to your average girl having a "private" conversation with her girlfriends, you'll notice that the topics that come up are just as dirty (if not more so!) than the sort of things you can overhear groups of guys saying.

Both men and women are biologically geared to participate in and enjoy sex. There is no gender issue with regards to "who likes it more" - that just seems to be a huge urban myth spouted by tabloids in an effort to sell more crappy papers.

That's coupled with some good ol' fashioned traditionalist BS that goes back to the Victorian days, where men were seen as dashing rogues and women were perceived as blushing maidens. Rubbish!

Men also like emotional investment and attention: I personally like the idea of receiving attention from a girl far more than just the thought of sex. I'd go as far as to say I don't feel comfortable or ready for a sexual relationship, I just want to feel like I'm close to a girl and of emotional value to her.

I think if you speak to the majority of mature, sensible men (both those who are lonely and those who aren't), you'll find that intelligent conversation, humour, having someone to share hobbies and cuddles with and so on ranks far more importantly in a relationship than just having an emotionless but attractive person they can sleep with constantly.

I agree. Occasionally I will overhear a bunch of guys deep in conversation and it surprises me how similar the convo is to what girls would talk about. Yeah, there may be some biological differences due to hormones and such...but we are all still humans.

kamya said:
I've done/do this with one of my exes sometimes when we hang out. No, it's not about trying to hook up with someone or anything like that. It just feels good and is comforting. Plus I like to keep it teasing and playful so its fun/stress relieving too. It's nice to have someone to do that with when you need someone to comfort you when you're lonely or someone to just have a fun time with.

You are not trying to have sex or start a relationship with this person. Just enjoy each other. Just like fwb situations, if either person wants more and the other person isn't interested, it won't work. If you want more from the start, it's not going to end up nicely.

I also have one guy friend that is pretty into hugs and physical contact and stuff like that so I don't mind that kind of stuff from him either.

I'm pretty confident that my brain chemistry is a lot different than most males though so maybe I'm just one of the exceptions where this kind of thing can work.

And yeah Somber Radiance, if you are cuddling with guys when you know they are interested in more and you are not, you are being an attention whore I do agree. :/ Lots of people are though so it's normal I guess.

Since the term beta orbiters is being thrown around, I'll simplify it for ppls who don't want to look it up. If your are a girl and you ever just said "Let's just be friends" to a guy, you really meant "Let's just let you be my beta orbiter". The better way to do it would be, "Hey I don't like you like that and I never will. If you keep trying nothing will happen." THEN you say "Lets just be friends".

Completely off topic, but kamya, I think you post some of the most straightforward and logical posts. (no homo!)

As for the attention whoring, you are right as well, lots of people are attention whores, especially when they get it from the opposite sex.

I hope someday to find a beautiful girl that will roll around in bed with me all weekend, allowing me to kiss her, snuggle with her, and touch her, while keeping my sausage firmly ensconced in my fruit-of-the-looms.

The thought of that does me wonders!

On my list of "Things To Do", this is one notch above suicide.

Latest posts

Back