Friendship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stride

Reaction score
This is a wall of text without a TL;DR so only read if you have time. :)

Also, I would appreciate it if you have different beliefs about homosexuality to kindly keep it to yourself or put it in the debate area. Thanks.

My best friend has said and done some things that have really gotten me thinking about his overall wellness. A year ago he and I got very drunk and he told me an interesting bit about his former experiences living in Utah (we both now live in WA). He professed in non sequitur that his first and only experience sexually was with another guy his age and that basically, he was gay. He didn’t remember any of this (we were both at the blackout stages of drunkenness), but for some reason I don’t lose any memory regardless of how drunk I am. I brought it up with him the next morning and he was shocked that he’d said anything, exclaiming that he had told no one about it before and quickly dismissed my questions about his homosexuality later.

It was after that he somewhat broke communication with me. I don’t think he trusted me at the time with that kind of information, or anyone for that matter considering his previous statement about telling no one. I wrote him a couple of lengthy emails expressing my support for his sexuality and my overall desire for him to be happy. He eventually got over the awkwardness and we went on as if nothing had ever happened. I would subtly bring it up in passing conversation or when we were drunk again but he seemed to have strengthened his barriers on the subject.

Over the past few months however, he seems to be loosening up. Last Friday night as we were conversing (again drunk) he would keep telling that he wasn’t gay, though unprovoked and unasked by me. He talked about how much he cared about his appearance and how he thought his hands and feet looked extremely feminine. He told me of the lengths he would go to make them seem more masculine, often rubbing some skin irritator across his hands to make them look more weathered. I didn’t understand why he felt this way because I’ve never cared about my hands and feet that way. This was an hour to two hour conversation about his hands and feet. Later when we were on the couch watching a movie, he did something that I have only ever experienced with another girl: he stretched his legs across mine without care and we continued watching the movie.

Now, I didn’t care that he did this. I value his friendship more than any other friendship I’ve had. I see us more as soul mates of the same gender; someone that you find where you have had similar experiences, have almost identical values, love the same music, etc. But the stretching the legs over mine thing is something I’ve only experienced with girls and generally meant that they were attracted to me, and sometimes lead to sex. I hope that you’ve gathered that I have no issue with homosexuality, but I fear intensely that he is attracted to me.

I am very sensitive to talking about relationships because of my past and some unfortunate occurrences with my brother (he has never had a relationship). I generally dislike doing it because I'm aware the person I’m talking to may not be as fortunate to have had a meaningful relationship in their life (my brother as an example). This characteristic may have leaded my friend to think that I was gay as well. I said that I fear that my friend is attracted to me not because I’m homophobic, but because some day he may ask if I feel the same way that he does about me, and I don’t want to see the look in his eyes when I tell him that I’m not gay. In other words, I just don’t want to hurt him.

I have a genuine want for him to be happy and to find a person that he can be secure and romantic with regardless of gender. I have cried a few times at night thinking about how lonely and afraid he must be. He told me last week that he wanted to move back to Utah. I’m assuming he wants to do this because he wants to go back to where he had his first and only homoerotic experience. I would be truly saddened if he did, and I’ve been searching for the words to tell him this past week. I’m not really looking for advice or a confirmation of action because I have tried in many ways to make him feel secure about his sexuality. I’m not even entirely certain he is gay; I’m just going by what he’s told me and how he acts. I might just be over thinking it all, but I care too much not to have the situation plaguing my mind.

I just really wanted to get all the words out of my head. If you've read it all, thank you. :)

I am not going to respond to this because I believe the answer is out of my grasp as well. But I want to tell you that I feel for both of you. A very well written and interesting post this. Good luck.

Well, if and when that time comes and your friend does reveal he has feelings (if he does) I think you will handle it very maturely from what you've said here. You've thought about this possibility if it does happen. Sounds like you have a relationship with your friend that makes you like brothers, or well how they should be towards each other, something you may have wanted with your own brother, I dunno. I know of some brothers who are very close. My brother and I aren't like that, but that comes from crude ignorant teasing since we're twins. I think it's great you have a friend that you care about so much. No matter what happens hopefully you two can remain friends.

Have you tried talking to him to find out why he wants to move back to Utah?

You're clearly a great guy and a good friend. I think your friend just has some identity based issues. With time and patience, he'll be okay.

It made me feel sad thinking of you being upset for your friend, but it's also very nice that you care so deeply about another person. You're obviously mature and your friend appears to have very good taste in men. Sorry, just trying to lighten this overly gushing reply :p

You're a great guy, and I'm sure your friend appreciates you in whatever sense you are there for him.

Sci-Fi said:
Have you tried talking to him to find out why he wants to move back to Utah?

He mentioned to me about being more accepted there and staying out with friends most nights. I could write volumes on how I've studied his reaction and responses to certain questions and about how he behaves that makes me feel that he's afraid of being gay and he just wants to go back to where he was able to be comfortable with it. If that's what it takes for him to be happy, then I want that for him but it means that he will no longer be near me and we can't hang out anymore. I've seriously considered researching what it would take to move their myself just so I can follow him. I don't believe he would be opposed to the idea either. I can't help but feel selfish saying that, but I just feel so connected to him that I can't fathom life without him being a stone's throw away.

Thank you all for your responses. It's a little tough because he's very stubborn and uncommunicative about this topic, thus I know very little about what's going on in his head. I'll continue to be patient and I'll just do the best I can for him when it is needed, I sometimes just feel like I'm not doing enough. :(

Latest posts

Back