Girls - Would you date a fat guy who improving himself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm not a woman, but I did used to be very overweight, so I'm going to reply anyway...

My last 3 partners were 5'1/98lbs, 5'9/116lbs and 5'6/112lbs, so they were all skinny and were all considered physically attractive, but they had no problem with going out with me. I was obese and have the general appearance of a troll.

There are superficial people of both sexes who will dismiss the idea of dating you based on appearance, but there are also people for whom physical appearance is almost meaningless provided you've got a good personality.

Personality always comes first, but that said, a romantic relationship just cannot ever work if you are not sexually attracted to the other person.

And within that, everybody has their own type. I personally definitely prefer bigger guys. I like a guy to be manly, and I find that bigger guys just "do it for me" on that side of things and most guys I've been out with were rugby player or grizzly bear types, at least 6ft tall and at least 20st in weight (280lb). While average weight guys can look perfectly attractive to me if they are hairy and have masculine features (my husband is average weight but stocky and muscular), slim-skinny boys tend to look quite effeminate or scrawny which just doesn't do it for me. Going off the popularity of such guys like Justin Beiber etc however, it appears that quite a lot of women do go for the skinny boy look though, so as I said, its all about personal taste and its all relative.

There are always extremes, and obviously morbid obesity is not attractive, but moreso as it speaks towards emotional, mental or health issues that have caused the extreme weight gain that would have a detrimental affect on a personality and a relationship.

But no, I wouldn't rule out a guy for being at the higher end of the weight scale.

*yawn* I've been down to the States. Clearly, fat people are getting it ON. What's your concern?

I think that the only thing that holds people back it themselves. If you think you are ugly, then you will believe it and others will see it in your lack of confidence.

I didn't read all the replies but I just wanted to say, on the opposite spectrum: I would date a fat girl if she was improving herself.
Attraction and keeping in good shape is important to me, but, I also know that weight can be lost, with effort and positive support.
Therefore I try to see the beauty beyond.

I was really attracted to a guy I worked with who was overweight, to the point where I'd try to be in the same area as him but would hide in stair wells when I actually saw him. I also used to like 3 other overweight guys. Like with anyone, it just depends on the guy. Some people have the bone structure for extra weight and some don't. I've had boyfriends that I wasn't that attracted to at first, then they became more attractive to me because they were cool. I don't need someone to be perfect to like them. I sent a message to an overweight guy who I thought was cute on a dating site and he immediately started texting me 100 times a day. What a turn off. I think one thing that keeps some girls from getting involved with overweight guys is they seem desperate and emotionally fragile or at least we fear that you might be and don't want the guilt if things don't work out.

LonelyInAtl said:
Here's a quick question for the women out there...

Would you date a fat guy who was improving himself? Eating better, walking every day, going to a personal trainer, and losing weight?

I like a big guy - but I also think personality is important. Confidence, humor, intelligence...

Yes I would. It doesn't bother me.. as long as he is improving himself and keeps himself clean, yes.

ladyforsaken said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Is a beer belly a turnoff?

Not to me. I guess it can be to some women.

I guess it all depends on the person. A few years ago when I was really overweight, I met a woman online and she wasn't attracted to me, because I wasn't fat enough. It's a funny old world...

user 130057 said:
I guess it all depends on the person. A few years ago when I was really overweight, I met a woman online and she wasn't attracted to me, because I wasn't fat enough. It's a funny old world...

Yeah really varies from person to person. It is a funny world indeed.

ladyforsaken said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Is a beer belly a turnoff?

Not to me. I guess it can be to some women.

I agree with Lady here.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Not fat enough?

That's somehow awesome. I love that people can have such different preferences.

Well, some ladies like to fatten their dudes up with some cooking. Been guilty of that myself. I appreciate someone who likes to eat.

Latest posts

Back