Going to events solo

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueArtist said:
I used to go to places like a coffee shop alone, but after a while it just made me depressed when I see the one after the other happy couple walking in and sitting together, laughing, talking and staring into one anothers eyes.

This is exactly how I feel it's like everywhere I go there is companionship and seeing happy couples and families makes me happy and smile but deep down it makes me upset, angry and envious. So as far as going out my daily walks which aren't so daily anymore is basically it.

I do plenty of daily walks and smile and say hi to every person i pass It makes me feel better and Im not the least bit concerned about being alone

I do my best to avoid going places since I'm alone. I found myself crying in movie theaters before the movie had even started because of all the couples. Malls are a nightmare unless you find a time when no one is there. Restaurants are avoided.
The grocery store is one of those places I have to go but it can be difficult.

I dont know what Id do if I couldnt go to the mall or store. I zone everyone out in my surroundings and focus on what I want to buy or browse around for .Luckily Ive never found shopping unpleasurable.

I'm a guy and I feel uncomfortable going to places alone, I mean what would I do there. Sit at the bar and watch football that doesn't interest me?

However if I felt really, really lonely I would go out anywhere in the hopes that I'll get a chat with someone. These days it's easier to just add people randomly on Skype or write a PM to someone or something.

I guess it's almost one of these times, if someone feels like chatting and has skype, let me know. :)

I don't mind going out alone if there are other people who will be there alone, like in a meet up group or a party, or if there is a purpose, like a presentation, event, workshop etc. Bars I can do if I go there to work, join the Starbucks crowd, blend in. But I wouldn't go to a bar by myself, unless there is a concert or some purpose.

I find it very difficult to go out most places on my own now. When I was younger, it was OK. Still had the belief that things would get better. At times I even wanted to go alone. But now, I just want to share the experience with someone. Even with what should be something simple, like going to a movie, or out to a meal, or for a walk. I just find it very hard to go out alone now. It robs away a key part of what makes .. well, a lot of things .. enjoyable. Huh, and it's something that I find not many people understand. Not even therapists. They say that should just go out alone. They don't really seem to care that it just makes the loneliness hurt even more ....

i'm always going out alone
but u must be careful where u go, some places can be dangerous, and u need to prepared to defend urself if u need to

When I go out alone I would just go to the movie theater. But I'd get really uncomfortable if people came over and sat close to me. I would get paranoid thinking they might look at me and notice i'm alone for the entire movie.

In general I'm more likely to be sad when I stay too long within 4 walls. That's solitary confinement to me. I would not compromise my safety as a woman either so I would either go out in the daytime or if it's at night only go to places I feel comfortable going to. Loneliness may be a part of my life but I also recognize that I have a lot of freedom as a single so I might as well use my legs like wings. You never know what might happen when you go out more, even if it's alone, what stories you might have to tell or put in your diary, who you might meet, what memories you might create or what experiences you will enjoy.

FlyingPlatypus said:
I feel very awkward when I'm alone somewhere. It's like I'm under a big spotlight and everybody around me knows how much of a loser I am. :D

StonedHitman said:
When I go out alone I would just go to the movie theater. But I'd get really uncomfortable if people came over and sat close to me. I would get paranoid thinking they might look at me and notice i'm alone for the entire movie.

I went to the movies alone once when the place was packed thinking it was no big deal. That sadistic usher made me sit in the only single seat, separate from all the rows (thanks man...) It may aswell have had a "no mates" sign over it with neon lit arrow. A group sitting close by pointed, laughed and commented. For shame. Needless to say I didn't really enjoy the movie.

[/quote]
I went to the movies alone once when the place was packed thinking it was no big deal. That sadistic usher made me sit in the only single seat, separate from all the rows (thanks man...) It may aswell have had a "no mates" sign over it with neon lit arrow. A group sitting close by pointed, laughed and commented. For shame. Needless to say I didn't really enjoy the movie.
[/quote]
The cinema isn't really a social thing though. It's two hours watching a screen in silence.

I went to an advance screening of The Last Stand last night (great movie BTW). Once again, the only obvious loner in the crowd.

It often makes me feel much worse going to events alone. It makes me feel even more like a reject, seeing couples together and people with friends.

I've gone,and would have no problem going to movies alone. I even found at least one restaurant where the environment seems oblivious to whether or not I would be there solo. At least I now have a change of pace from staying home if I want. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to actually go out and do it though.

rdor said:

That sounds horrible. How awful of them. My sympathies, man.

Cucuboth said:
I find it very difficult to go out most places on my own now. When I was younger, it was OK. Still had the belief that things would get better. At times I even wanted to go alone. But now, I just want to share the experience with someone. Even with what should be something simple, like going to a movie, or out to a meal, or for a walk. I just find it very hard to go out alone now. It robs away a key part of what makes .. well, a lot of things .. enjoyable. Huh, and it's something that I find not many people understand. Not even therapists. They say that should just go out alone. They don't really seem to care that it just makes the loneliness hurt even more ....

sentiententity said:
It often makes me feel much worse going to events alone. It makes me feel even more like a reject, seeing couples together and people with friends.

This is exactly how I usually feel when going out. It even hurts when I go out with a friend (on the rare occasion that happens) just because it feels like everyone else there probably has more friends and more of a social life. And seeing happy couples is just excruciating.

I went to the NFC playoff game today alone. Had suite tickets and still wound up going alone. It sucked being on the train to The Dome and seeing all the couples going to the game together.

Latest posts

Back