Going to events solo

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the movies alone once when the place was packed thinking it was no big deal. That sadistic usher made me sit in the only single seat, separate from all the rows (thanks man...) It may aswell have had a "no mates" sign over it with neon lit arrow. A group sitting close by pointed, laughed and commented. For shame. Needless to say I didn't really enjoy the movie.
[/quote]
The cinema isn't really a social thing though. It's two hours watching a screen in silence.
[/quote]

it's best to go in the afternoon when it's quiet. That's what I do. I enjoy films and the cinema. Nobody to go with of course but I'm not going to miss out. It's usually quiet in the afternoon and I can pick a seat that's nowhere near anybody else, so you don't get noticed so much.

Afternoons are indeed best. Less people and the admission may even be a little cheaper.

Skid Row 89 said:
I always end up going to concerts alone since I don't know anyone nearby who likes the same genres of music as I do lol

I know the feeling, especially when it comes to jazz,never mind classical.

duff said:
it's best to go in the afternoon when it's quiet. That's what I do. I enjoy films and the cinema. Nobody to go with of course but I'm not going to miss out. It's usually quiet in the afternoon and I can pick a seat that's nowhere near anybody else, so you don't get noticed so much.

True, but then there's work during week days and weekend afternoons are still pretty full. Festival films a are bit like that, people tend to go alone, maybe because there's so many to chose from.

ive always had trouble going out alone...i would much rather share the moment with someone else, but i have gone out alone a couple of times..wasnt too bad...ive gone to the movies serveral times i prefer the after noons or weekdays if im off from work...ive eaten alone too..last time i went to a steakhouse and sat at the bar and enjoyed a ribeye steak....also met an older gentleman who was alone also...had a good conversation

I find myself thinking about this more and more. I know one or two people who go out alone. One of them will only go to the Cinema sometimes, whilst the other one is happy to Travel alone. I'd talked with friends about travelling. They've been up and down depending on the occasion. 5-6 of us have all agreed that at some point, we should take a trip to Wales. Two of em' can drive and have cars so that would be the travel method. I've talked a number of times about taking a trip abroad as I've yet to do so. I've mentioned this several times to the group. At first some of them were silent whilst others said no thanks. But since then they've changed a bit and said it might be cool to all go together. I've suggested nothing fancy. Just a day or a few days in France perhaps. If the time comes where I really want to go somewhere and they're not up to it, I'll have to go alone I guess. But there's plenty of time to think about it still.

It’s not so much the events as it is travelling to and from them that bothers me. I went to video game developers show some months back and saw a load of exciting things but while other attendees were talking about it on the train back, I was sat on my own with no one to share ideas with. Same with being stood alone in a crowded cinema lobby or watching a fireworks show. The events are still fun but they seem to end more quickly afterwards because you have no one to share them with.

rdor said:
duff said:

True, but then there's work during week days and weekend afternoons are still pretty full. Festival films a are bit like that, people tend to go alone, maybe because there's so many to chose from.

i have Mondays off. Went last week, 5 people in the cinema, watched Life of Pi

Gutted said:
I find myself thinking about this more and more. I know one or two people who go out alone. One of them will only go to the Cinema sometimes, whilst the other one is happy to Travel alone. I'd talked with friends about travelling. They've been up and down depending on the occasion. 5-6 of us have all agreed that at some point, we should take a trip to Wales. Two of em' can drive and have cars so that would be the travel method. I've talked a number of times about taking a trip abroad as I've yet to do so. I've mentioned this several times to the group. At first some of them were silent whilst others said no thanks. But since then they've changed a bit and said it might be cool to all go together. I've suggested nothing fancy. Just a day or a few days in France perhaps. If the time comes where I really want to go somewhere and they're not up to it, I'll have to go alone I guess. But there's plenty of time to think about it still.

If I wait for somebody to go with, I will be waiting a long time !
I have to go by myself or I will spend my life doing nothing !

I go to concerts alone. I'm not about to miss one of my favorite bands just because I can't find someone to go with me. Screw. That. I'm attending a concert next month by myself and I'm stoked. I can go to the mall alone, but only in the AM when not a whole lot of people are there. For some reason I can't do the movies, I don't know why, since there really isn't a reason to go with someone when all you do is sit in silence for a few hours. But I barely go to the movies anyway, so.

Hopefully someday I will make some friends who will want to yank me out of my house and do something exciting. But other than that, I stay holed up inside my cave 24/7.

BlueArtist said:
I used to go to places like a coffee shop alone, but after a while it just made me depressed when I see the one after the other happy couple walking in and sitting together, laughing, talking and staring into one anothers eyes. So lately I will only go out to visit friends once in a while, but even that is depressing sometimes since all my friends are married with their own families and I start to feel like a third wheel when in their company

Oh my god, that would ******* kill me inside...

^Its worse when you work at a grocery store.

Anyway, I've thought about it. It would be another hobby to take up.

I went to a concert a couple of months ago on my own. It was really busy and I had to queue outside for cash, then buy the tickets at the door. My whole body felt stiff from anxiety. It was kinda lonely standing inside on my own whilst everyone was with friends or their partner, but I was very glad I did it in the end. I plan to do it again.

I wouldn't mind going to places solo.

You have to compromise when out with friends. Being all by yourself, you do whatever you want. :p

Glowgirl said:
I'm curious as to whether anyone else feels uncomfortable in going to places alone.

There are sometimes places I'd like to go - concerts, festivals, stuff like that - but I miss them all because I don't know anyone else who wants to go, and I'd feel uncomfortable going there alone.

I'm also female, certain places at nighttime I feel like being completely on my own raises safety issues. Definitely if you're sitting in a pub or a club or something on your own you're pretty much broadcasting that you're out to pick up - I couldn't do it!

I used to feel uncomfortable going to the movies alone, now I have streamed movies so it doesn't matter!

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I want to be comfortable going to events solo. I feel the same about wanting to go to festivals and concerts. As far as nightlife venues, I am not accustomed to the bar scene and can't imagine me ever going to one alone. I am ok with daytime walks/hikes and I have been to the theater twice by myself (it feels different but not bad).

I go to restaurants, concerts, coffee places etc. solo with no problems.

I'm so used to going to places solo, that it would almost seem odd and strange to have someone accompany me.

* I occasionally go to bars/pubs alone, occasionally.
* I started going to weekly adult roller skating sessions by myself a few years ago - it was awkward at first, now I know and am friends with so many people who also go there.
* I go to raves alone if I can't find anybody to come with me - I love events like that too much to let fears about going alone get in the way of having fun, also, in my opinion at events like these it's highly unlikely you'll not make friends or not have any positive interaction with other people.
* I go shopping alone a lot, I prefer to shop alone as it helps me not to spend too much money, it helps me to focus on my shopping list and allows me to browse stores at my leisure, it also means I can take my time.
* I visit some historical sites on my own for the same reasons as I like shopping alone.
* I love how when I'm alone with nowhere to be I can take my sweet time exploring and photographing my environment and the things around me, I can climb trees and wander off of the path, really take things in and delight in the small things that some of my friends do not appreciate so much.

HumanZ said:
I go to restaurants, concerts, coffee places etc. solo with no problems.

Restaurants-is that possible, I don't think I've ever seen that. You're taking up a table.

Latest posts

Back