Got suspended today :(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
I'm in high school. Some kid at our school forgot to log off on their computer. Me and my friend pulled a joke and i moved his files into lots of folders that said "log off next time" and things like that.

I guess I'm an idiot :/. Wish I hadn't done that. Only intended for it to be a joke. Now I feel so stupid and ashamed.

How can I get over this? I feel kinda "meh" about the suspension. I know I'm not a bad kid and I know that I only intended it to be a joke. The paperwork and how the principal told me the whole story makes it sound like I'm a felon. I feel like it's being taken so seriously. I understand what I've done is wrong and I deserve the suspension, but now I feel like everyone looks at me differently.

Right now, I'm planning on spending my extended weekend catching up on all my work from school, reflecting on my actions, and just relaxing. I've been pretty disorganized myself lately, and I hope I can just clear EVERYTHING up this weekend and finish all of my work.

Last thing I'm worried about is how this will impact my record, especially for the future. I would hate to have something as stupid as this impact college and my future jobs. It was only a 2 day suspension.

Any advice? How can I get over this stupid first suspension I've ever had?

No one looks at you differently, and if they do, it's their problem. It was just a stupid joke, and it sounds like you regret it. If you feel bad about it apologize to the kid and don't do it again.

Kids are supposed to get into trouble - it's kind of what they do. And it's not like you seriously harmed anyone. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes, we just have to learn from them and move on.

Sounds like you learned your lesson. Take it as that, a lesson learned and move on.

Hi,
As long as you realize what you did was wrong and don't do it again I don't think your future will be impacted. Intruding on someone else's computer at my job is grounds for termination. So it's better that you learned this lesson now instead of when the consequences could have been much more dire.

-Teresa

Sounds like some heavy OTT action going on here. Hardly the crime of the century. This is something I would do in a heartbeat. Your school has some standards x]

Heh, if someone forgets to lock their computer here we send an email to the team from their account to say they will pay for lunch tomorrow!

Sounds like you realise you made a mistake, as other have said, let it go now and focus on the future. :)

I'm in the field of education.

Take it from me -- a single suspension isn't going to affect your record.

The only way that a suspension could impact you is if you had a record of serial, ongoing suspensions for delinquency, behavior, etc.

Don't worry about it too much. Believe it or not, most highschoolers serve detention or have a suspension at least once during their time in secondary education.

As others have said in this thread -- it sounds like you've learned your lesson. So just move on and try not to do it again.

Yeah, even I served detention once and I was one of the most quiet, well behaved, shy, stick to the shadows so the bullies don't notice you kids. Some other jerk stuck gum in my hair, yeah in high school, how preschool is that? Anyway I went straight home after it happened. I got served a detention for leaving the school grounds and not signing out. Mind you this was back in the very early nineties. My mom was pissed off that one of the Vice Principles gave me a detention for something another kid did. I skipped the detention and received another one. So I ended up serving two detentions. It had no effect on my record what-so-ever and it never came up.

Wait... you got suspended for moving files on someone? Man at work when someone leaves their computer unlocked, I change their desktop wallpaper to a picture of Burt Reynolds laying down naked on a bear skin rug. Followed by a love letter email to my boss from their account.

Limlim said:
Wait... you got suspended for moving files on someone? Man at work when someone leaves their computer unlocked, I change their desktop wallpaper to a picture of Burt Reynolds laying down naked on a bear skin rug. Followed by a love letter email to my boss from their account.

I can just imagine you doing that! :p:club:

Thank you for all the kind words everybody :). They really did make my day a whole lot better.

I too don't understand why a suspension was necessary for me and my friend :/. I don't know if they saw it in a different perspective or what I did was detrimental to that student's files. Bottom line is I placed all of his files in separate folders, within folders. Basically a maze of folders that each had a file in them. Some folders had some words of advice on them like "log off idiot" but most of them were just random letters.

I've always been the kind of person who would troll or mess with other people, especially when given the opportunity :D. My suspension is over now and most of my school life has returned to normal. What really just ticks me off is how serious they made it look. They wrote on the paper that went home to my parents that I deleted the files and used profanity when renaming his folders. Makes me look like I did something worse :/.

Some kids in my school know about my suspension. When they ask me what I did, I tell them exactly what I told you guys. I don't feel the need to hide it or lie about it. It's just that now, I really do feel that people look at me differently. It's like I'm a bad kid all of a sudden which is what caused my suspension. A lot of them are surprised that I got suspended since I've never really been a serious troublemaker or they're surprised at what I got suspended FOR.

^^^I think in the end, no one's really going to see you that differently.

They're just naturally curious right now because it's a recent thing. But wait until someone else gets suspended or detention or something... they'll probably forget all about yours, and in a few years you'll be laughing about it with your friends: "Hey, remember that time I got suspended for ******* with that guy's files? HAH that was hilarious!"

:cool: So no worries. Everything will turn out fine.

I can remember the days when we had a computer class, and the rest required just pens and paper and your brains. Seems things have changed, sadly.

Things are taken a lot more seriously now than they used to be. It's seen as a form of bullying. Which that has gotten out of control too. I'm all for anti bullying but there's gotta be a limit.

^ Something else that makes me angry.

Because of all the suicides and bullying, people are trying to "end" bullying. Never gonna happen, bullying will always be around. I feel like now schools are being pushed to take everything super serious. A simple joke, tease, or even HUG is punishable. I read on yahoo recently a kid was suspended for the rest of the school year for hugging a teacher because it was sexual harassment. We don't know both sides of the story but bottom line is, things are taken way too seriously.

There's also all that crap that happens under the radar of oblivious teachers. Drugs, sex, actual bullying, fights, etc. These seem to never be solved but I feel like whenever I do something minor as stated, I get the full punishment. Seems like they have nothing else to occupy their time so they go after all the little things now.

I was suspended from school a number of times. Most of them were for arriving late. I was 16, didn't have a drivers license and didn't have have a car. Four of us would ride to school with the only guy in the area who had access to a vehicle.

It didn't seem to be a problem for anyone else but on arriving at school i would head directly to class and get there a minute or two after the bell had rung. Sometimes i was walking up to the class room door as the bell rang. Having an efficient teacher she would already have the attendance done and me marked absent. She would change that to tardy when I arrived.

After a few tardies and missing probably less than ten minutes total, the school suspended me for three days in order to teach me about the seriousness of missing school time.

When I was allowed back in school again, the same thing repeated its self and i was again suspended.

Working towards my third suspension for tardiness and maybe a total of 20 minutes missed time for the semester, the school administration decided that they had a hardcore behavior problem on their hands and informed me that next time it would not be a three day suspension but instead they would expel me for the semester. I tried to explain that i had no car and rode with someone else and got there when he did. Neither he no any of the other three people that i rode with were getting marked tardy so they saw no need to change their pattern. The school didn't care. I was frequently tardy, it was time to get rid of me.

Yes it was wrong of me to arrive after the bell and if i had any control over it, i would have been a minute earlier. Still it seems that sometimes the schools make big issues out of minor events.

Minus said:
I was suspended from school a number of times. Most of them were for arriving late. I was 16, didn't have a drivers license and didn't have have a car. Four of us would ride to school with the only guy in the area who had access to a vehicle.

It didn't seem to be a problem for anyone else but on arriving at school i would head directly to class and get there a minute or two after the bell had rung. Sometimes i was walking up to the class room door as the bell rang. Having an efficient teacher she would already have the attendance done and me marked absent. She would change that to tardy when I arrived.

After a few tardies and missing probably less than ten minutes total, the school suspended me for three days in order to teach me about the seriousness of missing school time.

When I was allowed back in school again, the same thing repeated its self and i was again suspended.

Working towards my third suspension for tardiness and maybe a total of 20 minutes missed time for the semester, the school administration decided that they had a hardcore behavior problem on their hands and informed me that next time it would not be a three day suspension but instead they would expel me for the semester. I tried to explain that i had no car and rode with someone else and got there when he did. Neither he no any of the other three people that i rode with were getting marked tardy so they saw no need to change their pattern. The school didn't care. I was frequently tardy, it was time to get rid of me.

Yes it was wrong of me to arrive after the bell and if i had any control over it, i would have been a minute earlier. Still it seems that sometimes the schools make big issues out of minor events.

Staff with nothing better to do. At least you didn't have to wear uniforms. My teachers would obsess over any infraction.

That's a stupid reason to get suspended. Even dumber they would consider expulsion for that crap.

Same teacher who got me suspended today took away my phone. I was NOT even using it in class. We weren't doing anything and she had a movie (grinch who stole christmas cartoon) on that maybe 2 kids were actually watching. Everyone was just chilling and talking and I was bored. I took my phone out and started fiddling around with it. She comes and tells me to give my phone to her.

I mean, do you not have better stuff to do? Goodness this school is starting to get pathetic.

Schools have policies about those kinds of things though. When I was in high school you couldn't even have ear buds in your ears, heck on VP didn't even like seeing them hanging around your neck. If you had them in your ears or head phones on your head she'd pull them off, no joke, just yank them. You'd lose it and have to see her after school and get a detention. You weren't allowed to have them out, they had to be in your bag put away. Sounds stupid but it was for students own safety, cause just like the VP who would pull them off another person could try to strangle you with them or steal them, and usually kids had music playing loud which you could hear and that wasn't allowed within the school.

Plus, not to rip on you but you don't need your cell phone in class either. It should be left in your locker. Sorry that one can't really defend you on either. When you are older you'll understand. Oh I bet you hate that line. :)

Latest posts

Back