Have your opinions changed?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mouse

Have your opinions changed over time? Did you used to like or be highly supportive of something when you were younger, but now look back on it and it was just a passing interest?

Since being here last, I don't think my opinions have changed much.

I was actually called too compassionate, too forgiving, and too much of a believer in second chances by a friend when I was a teenager. Almost a decade later, I've realized that it's never gotten me a thing other than a few emotional vampires and most people prefer other people's compassion, anyway.

I used to think of myself as very emotional when I was a kid/teenager and thought that was a good thing - until my emotions were actually put to the test.
I also envied more social individuals and the typical teenage gatherings - until I participated in them for the first time.

I was wrong on all accounts...and I despise my former desperate self.

I, I don't like my Older self, Older self in means my younger version. He was arrogant, too self centered. Back then I almost had no interest on other people's lives or their problem, or their situations. I am glad that I killed that arrogant me. Now I'm different, way different than I used to be, thanks to my real friends who helped me a lot and made me realized the mistakes I had done and only because of them I find my this self. Thank you all, you know whom I am thanking. You don't need names to know, You already know whom I am thanking.

I am more supportive now. But still there are few things which still irritate me every now and then.

Absolutely. I don't see how one couldn't change at least some views over time as you mature and/or new evidence presents itself. Change is the only thing that is constant.

Everything. I changed in everything in my life. evolution is the most important thing,we must change to growth ourselves.

DDZ said:
Absolutely. I don't see how one couldn't change at least some views over time as you mature and/or new evidence presents itself. Change is the only thing that is constant.

Sennar said:
Everything. I changed in everything in my life. evolution is the most important thing,we must change to growth ourselves.

I agree with these statements.

May i ask for examples? I do not mean to be a jerk just to undertsand people better.

Tealeaf said:
I was actually called too compassionate, too forgiving, and too much of a believer in second chances by a friend when I was a teenager. Almost a decade later, I've realized that it's never gotten me a thing other than a few emotional vampires and most people prefer other people's compassion, anyway.

^ I've been called the same thing, by quite a few people over the years.

My opinions haven't changed much. I might have changed a bit (I went through a major trauma that changed me), and the way I handle certain situations may have changed a bit, but my opinions have pretty much stayed the same as far as I can recall. Perhaps because 1) I matured very early in life and 2) I tend to stay open to new information and not formulate solid opinions until I feel I have heard enough from all sides (which is almost never).

In any case, I have also been told by people who have known me a long time that I'm one of the most consistent people they know, so I probably don't change much over time.

I actually used to be a bully. I thought if people would ignore me when I was being nice, they would pay attention if I was mean instead.
Looking back on it, I'm glad I changed that part.

I also used to care too much if someone liked or hated me. I still somewhat do (old habits die hard) but I've learned that unless the cause was because of something bad I've done, I have no reason to care about that hatred and simply block them off... well... until the person changes.

I was just thinking about this today. How, when I was a teenager I was so passionate about things. Music, environment, politics, etc. Sometimes, obsessively so.

I still have passions and beliefs but they are not as strong as other things in my life take priority now.

Ultimately though, my opinions haven't really changed over time, just softened.

I'm in a constant state of introspection, constantly questioning my choices, opinions, and beliefs, reevaluating them to determine if they're right morally and logically. I change opinions rather often because of this.

My opinions about the large things in life, such as atheism, have not changed much since I was young. My opinions on trivial matters change often.

I'm all for God now. Before I was kinda agnostic, and silly. I'm not that religious just yet, it tastes time to let go of fear, a long time. Can't just say it and not mean it. Can't just live it and not understand it.

I'm less angry than I used to be, which is good, but I'm really just bitter and cold now. I both opt for solitude and simultaneously dislike too much of it. Yet, I'm quite socially awkward and amoral, so I have a hard time making friends. Furthermore, my ideologies and comprehension of things is so vastly different that it makes having a conversation with people on subject matters difficult if they possess no depth. Though, quite frankly, I wouldn't too much have it any other way.

I'm at peace, in one hand....
In the other, I am restless...

I quite often on a regular basis swing from complacency to paranoid discomfort and back again. It's quite maddening sometimes....

I've pretty much totally given up on the idea of a love life. It's too damning to try and fail, and too time consuming to attempt to take care of another when I'm hardly able to take care of myself. I've decided to leave it at "if it comes around, and sparks my interest enough, I'll follow. but I'm not going to go looking anymore."

There's a part of me that's logical and null of emotional input that clearly sees that I have no support and no security other than what I make for myself....and then there's an emotional side to me that's fairly deadened that believes that my family and close ones (though I rarely see anyone anymore) will still catch me if I fall....

I don't too much suppose there's a right answer.

I'm also less inclined to like junk food now, whereas it was all I ever wanted when I was younger.

Yes, my opinions have evolved a lot over time. I used to believe in god; now, I'm a non-believer. My perspective has changed on a number of things now that I have a child. I'm a bit more conservative than I used to be.
I think it's good to evaluate one's opinions from time to time. Things you think are true and always will be true just may be not that true at all. Change is good.

-Teresa

Niantiel said:
I'm also less inclined to like junk food now, whereas it was all I ever wanted when I was younger.

One of the few benefits to aging. I see a lot of people eating muffins for breakfast, which is disgusting to me unless you're offering me pumpkin or gingerbread (the exception to everything). I'll eat fruit, greens, or hardboiled eggs.

Of course, eating healthy only works if you plug your ears to the masses that are feast or famine when it comes to eating.

Latest posts

Back