Hezekiah's Thread Of Insanity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
936full-diane-neal.jpg

Her and Mariska Hargitay were the main reasons I watched Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.
Mariska Hargitay is one of the sexiest women I've ever seen.

Keep the means to kill myself around me while going through severe depression.
Today I'm throwing it all away.

Buy lawn seats whenever I go to a concert. Never again. People can't control themselves when they are able to smoke and act like fools.

Definitely not going back to trying to do the ''normal'' living. It was an attempt to put family at ease and go out to random bars and casual parties with lots of people. That sure failed..

Cutting, use baking soda in homemade deodorant, cut my own hair and that's all I can think of.

G'Day.:)

I did a search and nothing popped up so here it goes.

What is your take on social networks? Myself, I find them interesting and amusing, but I don't really like the idea of having so much info on myself there. I don't want others to know my comings and goings all the time. I suppose I could join Facebook, add a fake photo of myself and lie about the rest of the details, but that just defeats the whole purpose. What are your thoughts?

God Bless.
-LK

This is the third time I started typing out a response, because as I was typing each time, I looked back at what I'd written and I think it looked really negative when really there a lot of positives for some people (I didn't want to go down the totally negative road because that's not me.) One thing that instantly springs to mind on this topic though, was a while back when I was having a beer with a few people. We're all sat there when one guy in the group comes out with a pretty amusing joke. Straight after he says "Oh man! I should totally put that on Twitter!" and he sits there quietly tapping away on his phone whilst everyone else sits there looking on.

Now I'm not knocking the guy, because he seemed like a real nice person and what he does is up to him. But I just thought it kind of summed up a lot about social networking; people seem to give it more priority than what they're actually doing at that moment, and (in my opinion at least) it's kind of a shame for people that they're not making the most of the moment whilst it happens. You know, kind of like people who go to gigs and watch the whole thing through a tiny lens on their phone whilst recording it for later. I think a lot of people forget to just be in the moment sometimes.

I think they can be a good thing for keeping in touch with people or giving information. Twitter is a great way for authors, game developers and other creative people to communicate with fans, for instance. But like anything else, overuse or abuse tends to ruin it a little.

I really, really like Facebook.

The only thing I don't like is how people get offended so easily on there. I post something political, and suddenly I lose a friend.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I really, really like Facebook.

The only thing I don't like is how people get offended so easily on there. I post something political, and suddenly I lose a friend.

That kinda goes back to the age old saying though I guess: 'People who wish to remain friends don't discuss religion or politics.'

Kind of lame in some respects but I can see the reasons for it.

Rob82 said:

I don't. Seems like pretty shallow friendships otherwise if you can't discuss anything of importance.

Wil Wheaton (Wesly Crusher from Star Trek: TNG). I've been reading a book he wrote, he seems like a nice guy.

Rosebolt said:
Rob82 said:

I don't. Seems like pretty shallow friendships otherwise if you can't discuss anything of importance.

I personally don't like to discuss politics and religion unless I know the person well. Some people (Not all) take things as a challenge to their beliefs, and its not worth the headache. There are other important things to discuss. I'm not a very confrontational person though.

What I don't like with social networks, is the competitive feel. How many 'likes' you get or how many sees your messages and pictures depends more on your social value than the content, and a lot of the content people put on there is simply to make their apparent social value higher. I'm at vacation, here's pictures of me at a party.. Here's all the hobbies I have..

Of course, social networks is a tool like any other. It can also be used for meaningful communication. Especially between organizations, companies and individuals. Easier for people to post a message at some company's wall than sending an official email.

Lastly, there's the privacy aspect. I don't like the fact that our communication is being commercialized, and sold to advertisers. Just doesn't feel right. It's like some company asked for money for each breath I took.

Twitter can be useful on occasion, but Facebook et al are the spawn of the devil. I cannot foresee a time when I will require an account. I have absolutely zero interest in the minutiae of other people's existence. You ate some toast this morning? Fantastic! You're going out for dinner? Amazing!

People also seem to treat the whole thing as some sort of perverse game where the object is to acquire more 'friends'/followers/likes than anyone else; like that's the only thing that can validate their existence. They've turned the entire thing into a competitive sport.

There's also entirely too much trying to 'one up' each other. "Look how amazing my holiday/car/house/partner is. They're so much better than yours..."

It's definitely not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back