Hezekiah's Thread Of Insanity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Partially? Try solely if you're talking about small children. If you keep carrots in the house, your kids will eat them. If you keep only twinkies in the house, don't be surprised when your kids are obese.

He blamed the internet and video games and didn't blame the parents? What kind of idiot is this guy? It's up to the parents to regulate their kids internet and video game use and make sure they keep active. If you let your kids spend all day sitting in front of a screen and not get any exercise don't surprised if they end up becoming overweight or have other problems, especially if you are going to feed them chips and pop.

I think one of the biggest problems lies in knowledge of food and cooking, not distractions or indulgences.

The amount of bullshit on the food market about what's in what, how things work, and even the products themselves is staggering and difficult to navigate. It's a burden to be dealing with while working, raising kids, keeping a house, and still trying to find time for your spouse or yourself. Everything is "natural" or "vitamin-boosted" these days, even the sugar cereals. Pair that with little knowledge of nutrition, possibly cobbled together from what the very people trying to sell their "nutritious" product have said.

I'm also meeting fewer people in my age group who know how to cook at home beyond the very basics. I think it's something quite a few people might not know how to do, making it more likely that food available to children is unhealthy. If you can't or don't have time to cook from scratch or throw together a bunch of fresh ingredients, you're probably going to default to Hamburger Helper, Fruit Loops, and pizza pockets just to keep your kids fed. They're "vitamin-boosted," so how bad can they be, right?

I think a lot of the kids hate vegetables thing comes from dumping crummy green beans or raw carrots in their plate. I'm in my 20's and even I won't eat those shriveled green beans, but I've found a dozen ways to prepare bell peppers, cooked carrots, tomato, mushroom, and various greens.

I agree with the topic, however, I'd just like to point out that I'd never let my kid (at her age) outside unattended. :p

Sci-Fi said:
He blamed the internet and video games and didn't blame the parents? What kind of idiot is this guy? It's up to the parents to regulate their kids internet and video game use and make sure they keep active. If you let your kids spend all day sitting in front of a screen and not get any exercise don't surprised if they end up becoming overweight or have other problems, especially if you are going to feed them chips and pop.
He's one of those smug pricks on TLC that reads a couple articles, the newspaper, and thinks that he is right and nobody else is. Like he's some authority on everything. Makes you wanna slap him silly.

I'd say parents are entirely responsible for young childhood obesity. unless of course the child has a thyroid disorder or something else medically wrong.

Of course, but only up to a certain age. When they're a teenager going out and doing what they want, it's not something that's easy to control.

I'd say that parents are almost entirely responsible for childhood obesity. Like 9006 said, it's hard to control what they eat once they reach their teenage years, but hopefully, if they've been set a good example from a young age, they will follow a healthy lifestyle.

I think that the people who are putting this entirely (or almost entirely) on parents are completely ignoring the fact that kids aren't with their parents all day.

I cook almost everything we eat at my house. We almost never have any sort of junk food here. I also encourage my kid to be active. I pay for her to be in soccer and basketball. We walk our dog a mile each day. She also walks a half mile from school to the library, for their after school program.

These are the wrappers I find in her backpack: snack cakes her friends have given her, candy that the teachers give out as prizes for games, stuff the library has given as snacks or prizes, and (this one makes me mad) chips or cookies from the athletics. I've read complaints online, so I know I'm not the only one dealing with this. Oh! Let's not forget that there are grandparents out there who think nothing of giving children junk food.

Sure, I could probably take a few more steps to get my kid healthier. I could be "That Mom", and make a bunch of phone calls and write letters to demand that unhealthy snacks be banned. I'm sure that would go over well with the other kids. I could stop working and follow my kid around. I could demand that my child refuse to eat anything during school parties/ snack time with the group, and I could punish her if she disobeyed. If I did any of this, you guys would be greeting her one day, when she joined ALL.

user 130057 said:
I'd say that parents are almost entirely responsible for childhood obesity. Like 9006 said, it's hard to control what they eat once they reach their teenage years, but hopefully, if they've been set a good example from a young age, they will follow a healthy lifestyle.

But if you think about it, if they've been "restricted" over the years, they're likely to discover all these fast fatty foods. Also I kinda think it's something that can be influenced by others, friends for example.

I noticed that I started eating more when I used to have "guys nights in", we used to order all kinds of junk food - in fact my friend ballooned up in a number of years, I was about 17/18.

I think that the school system is responsible as well to some extent. They could do a little more in the Phys.ed department as well. When I was in Jr.High one of the things we had to do was square dancing. Square dancing? C'mon. "Circle right with an allemande left, and bow to your partner." does not a truly physical exercise make.

Take some of the money they use to furnish the teacher's lounge and cafeteria food which sucks ass anyway, and request additional funds and have a martial arts course at the schools. This will make a big change in bullying. It will instill confidence, respect, and you don't have to worry about walking down the street at night.

But then again. It's hard enough to get kids to go to school these days, let alone participating in self-discipline classes.

LoneKiller said:
I think that the school system is responsible as well to some extent. They could do a little more in the Phys.ed department as well. When I was in Jr.High one of the things we had to do was square dancing. Square dancing? C'mon. "Circle right with an allemande left, and bow to your partner." does not a truly physical exercise make.

Take some of the money they use to furnish the teacher's lounge and cafeteria food which sucks ass anyway, and request additional funds and have a martial arts course at the schools. This will make a big change in bullying. It will instill confidence, respect, and you don't have to worry about walking down the street at night.

But then again. It's hard enough to get kids to go to school these days, let alone participating in self-discipline classes.

Well I don't know about where you are, but over here school dinners is something the government keep banging on about. They announced that school dinners should be only healthy, less salt, less fat, more veg etc etc... and I remember seeing most parents where complaining about their children where coming home from school "hungry", and later I saw on the news parents feeding them crisps, burgers and soft drinks through the school fences at dinner time!

How stupid can this country be?

YES they are, you have to make sure your kids get a good foundation. From food choices and eating habits, to how they treat people. And everything in between.

9006 said:
LoneKiller said:

Well I don't know about where you are, but over here school dinners is something the government keep banging on about. They announced that school dinners should be only healthy, less salt, less fat, more veg etc etc... and I remember seeing most parents where complaining about their children where coming home from school "hungry", and later I saw on the news parents feeding them crisps, burgers and soft drinks through the school fences at dinner time!

I know right? Not just your country. Many are just as bad. Canada isn't much better in this respect. This world is going straight to Hell.

9006 said:

That was a rhetorical question, right? I'm guessing we both know the answer and it's somewhere between really stupid, downright ignorant and single-cell amoeba. ;)

I'd like to be able to say I was a modeled student, but I can't. I got into a lot of honeysuckle from primary right on through high school. I was a mouthy little turd. That's what always got me into trouble. Being 38yo now I look back and I now understand just how mouthy and disrespectful young boys and teen boys can truly be. I'm not leaving out girls on purpose here.

I truly can't recall seeing any girl get into trouble. Not one. When I was 14yo I called my old man a *******. HUGE mistake! He gave me the big backhand slap to the nose. This man's hand size rivals that of the Statue Of Liberty's. Never again did I disrespect him like that.

I've had my share of detention and calls home to the folks from my teachers. One teacher handed me a dvd case sized dictionary and as punishment for telling him to bite me, made me copy 1 page. Doesn't sound like much does it? I can't tell you how long it took me. Had to be hours.

Did you get into much trouble in school?

Not really. I was a quiet girl who minded her own business. Didn't really feel like I could get along well with people.

I got into some trouble. Mostly a couple of pointless fights in high school. I ditched 4th period JROTC for a month straight before we anyone finally noticed. For a federally funded armed forces class, they really sucked at roll call. On the bright side, I learned military life wasn't for me.

Locke said:
I got into some trouble. Mostly a couple of pointless fights in high school. I ditched 4th period JROTC for a month straight before we anyone finally noticed. For a federally funded armed forces class, they really sucked at roll call. On the bright side, I learned military life wasn't for me.
Man. I wouldn't last through the basic training.:p

Why are the guys a big majority of those who get in trouble? Is it the fact that girls tend to wise up/grow up mentally sooner at that age?
Is it just childishness that grows into troublesome acts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back