How can I distance myself from my mother for a more harmonious home life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Reaction score
Hello all,

This may seem like a disagreeable thing to be asking but rest asured it is with the kindest of intentions - that being a more harmonious home life. For a very long time my relationship with my mother has been slightly toxic, she is just too abrasive, argumentative, unstable in her emotions and in turn she too brings out the worst in me. I have on many occasions saught to move out as I am certainly old enough (20) but I simply can't afford it.

This sounds like we are always arguing, and we are, but not quite - it's completely dependent on what mood she is in and that fluctuates all the time. She can be very nice one minute and then somthing happens or somthing (often petty, blown out of proportion) sets her off and thats it. This unpredictability makes the whole affair even more frustrating. She's also the type of person who through having an argument or disagreement with one person - she has an argument/disagreement with everyone, takes things out on others and the like.

Thing is you cant walk away from it because she just goes on and on and on and on if she doesn't get a reaction from you. Its tedium personified and to be honest all a bit juvenile. I live with her, my nan and my much younger brother. She's had depression before and I'm pretty sure she has depression now but to be honest I give so few shits due to the fact that it is largely her antics that sent me off the rails 2 years ago, ultimately culminateing in my own major encounter with the black dog which I now fight every day.

I figure it's best subvert the nature of our relationship from being my mother to her simply being my landlord, but do it subtly so not to get her on the defensive. I imagine this will cut a lot of the potential for argument out. Any ideas on how I can do this?

By the way please dont suggest we resolve this, I've tried. She is intrinsically irrational and simply reverts to her old ways within a few days of resolution.

Whether you can afford it or not the only real solution is to move away. She's likely very set in her ways, nothing any of us can say will give you the tools you're seeking to attempt change. Sorry brother, I'm very much a realist.

I have to agree with Lonely in BC. I had the same problem with my mother many years ago, and the only way to deal with her was to completely disconnect. She was not going to ever change, and I'm sure your mother will not either. I feel sorry for you not being able to afford to move out, I was stuck in that situation too. All you can do is make a goal of it and work toward it while looking for possible situations that might allow you to get away. Check out the roommate ads for situations that might be workable for you, work two jobs if you can get them, anything.

I agree. Do whatever you can to move out and away from her and to build an life of your own. Though getting her out your head will be harder.

Relentless said:
Hello all,

This may seem like a disagreeable thing to be asking but rest asured it is with the kindest of intentions - that being a more harmonious home life. For a very long time my relationship with my mother has been slightly toxic, she is just too abrasive, argumentative, unstable in her emotions and in turn she too brings out the worst in me. I have on many occasions saught to move out as I am certainly old enough (20) but I simply can't afford it.

This sounds like we are always arguing, and we are, but not quite - it's completely dependent on what mood she is in and that fluctuates all the time. She can be very nice one minute and then somthing happens or somthing (often petty, blown out of proportion) sets her off and thats it. This unpredictability makes the whole affair even more frustrating. She's also the type of person who through having an argument or disagreement with one person - she has an argument/disagreement with everyone, takes things out on others and the like.

Thing is you cant walk away from it because she just goes on and on and on and on if she doesn't get a reaction from you. Its tedium personified and to be honest all a bit juvenile. I live with her, my nan and my much younger brother. She's had depression before and I'm pretty sure she has depression now but to be honest I give so few shits due to the fact that it is largely her antics that sent me off the rails 2 years ago, ultimately culminateing in my own major encounter with the black dog which I now fight every day.

I figure it's best subvert the nature of our relationship from being my mother to her simply being my landlord, but do it subtly so not to get her on the defensive. I imagine this will cut a lot of the potential for argument out. Any ideas on how I can do this?

By the way please dont suggest we resolve this, I've tried. She is intrinsically irrational and simply reverts to her old ways within a few days of resolution.

..I am so sorry for you going through this pain... you see I am on the other end of your story here... and it is a horrible feeling, once reality sets in.
There is no quick fix, there is not 'forgetting' The only thing one can do in this situation is move on... and forgive? that is up to you, some people have a forgiving spirit, some do not.. and you are not to be blamed if you choose not to forgive her, but if you hold onto the 'anger' it is only going to hurt you for the rest of your days.

I am not a doctor, but from what you have described here, it sounds like a personality disorder, Bipolar, or the likes. she should consider being seen and tested for different types of disorders.

I know .. and she will soon learn, that she has destroyed her children/family.. because there will always be the 'black dog' in your memories. The guilt later on in her life will be her punishment , and she will grieve it till the very end.
Karma is very real.... what goes around, comes around.

Feel free to PM me if you like hun.

*hugs* to you.

Easy, go away and do not communicate. Most phones have a feature to block certain numbers. Create filter in your email to auto-magically delete or archive emails and live your life.

I'll suggest you cut the bond for now. She might be hurt or frustrated from simply seeing you grow up into an adult, and desperate if not letting it happen... but like my friend says "Reasons and good intentions can't stop the end of seasons".

I don't think your mom is as evil/disturbed as it seems, just unrealistic. And probably depressed/confused from her loss of "parenthood" towards you. Her role to you will have to be different, and I don't think she has seen it coming. She probably masked herself from it, especially if her kids are more or less the center of her life. It can be difficult.

Your mother is unable to accept reality: you are now an adult and she can't keep sitting on your head and controlling your life, that time is over. She will now have to treat you like an equal. You have your own life to live, and this is going to be with or without her consent.

I don't think this can happen, or be healthy for you both, without at least a year or two of separation.

Is your mom on meds and/ or mixing her meds
With alcohol?
When might try attending Alan on...
Or just keep your distance.
Its very difficult to have boundaries with
Poeple like that...you get conner sometimes.
My fathet is like that...

The thing of it is my fiancee is,like that too.
Very argumentative if she dosnt take her meds.
or the propet meds for her. Its been a major
Struggle. When she mix alcohol...of coursr
Trying to tell her not to mix is a fight.
It like a box of chocolate.
The prescription meds are still narcatics...Xanac.

Its very difficult to convince poeple they need treatment or help.
even jf poeple seek treatment jts not going to fix them.
Its more abiut learning coping skills
And most poeple dont work it....
Just pop the magic pills which
Can cause more mood swings becusse
Of withdraws and side effects.
Without the meds..its like a box of
chocolate too.
If shes attacking you...youll snap eventually.
Everyone has a breaking piont...

Give yourself an exit...
or remove yourself from arguments
with her as best you can.
Su h as going outside
Or tell her you need fo use the rest room.

Stop talking.

"Hi. How was your day?" "Good you?" she goes "blah blah blah blah" and you say nothing.
Don't give her anything to argue about, or someone to argue with, and eventually she'll learn, just like a child, that she can't get you to react. Stick to it, and don't give up.

DONE.

Latest posts

Back