How do you accept the fact that you'll be single forever?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really well put.

In a situation like that people seem eager to jump to the conclusion that he must have faked friendship so he could hit on her. This is largely due to the Nice Guy stereotype that gets misapplied.
[/quote]

Where is this going on? Where do you get this information, because I have never seen all this played out in all my adult years and neither have my friends or family.

Red_Wedding_Casualty said:
... I'm inclined to agree with this. To all the posts I read in response to long term chronically single men-yes, I'm going to say men in the sense that tradition still expects the first move to come from us-generally. But yeah. To all those posts that more or less tell us to grow some nuts and just ask her out like it's just that simple, well I'm sorry. But no. It really isn't.

See, there's more to it than just getting a simple 'no'. Say you've established a friendship. You ask the question, and get rejected. You can't just take it back like it never happened. Now that she's aware of your romantic and/or sexual intentions, there'll be an air of awkwardness about the friendship. most likely scenario, the friendship fizzles out due to awkwardness, and MAYBE you reconnect again as acquaintances in a few years. Worst case scenario, you get cut out violently for betraying her trust in your character, and you never hear from her again. Ever. Best case scenario assumes you aren't rejected, but let's be honest here guys.....

So you see that it's not as simple as just asking. Not when those friendships are valued, and especially not when they're few and far between.

I have had male friends ask me out, only for me to say no and we resume exactly where we were with no awkwardness whatsoever.
It's not about what the answer is, it's about how YOU and HER let it play out. It can only be awkward if YOU (or her) let it.

Also, regardless of her answer, you are risking the friendship. I guess it's one of those that you need to decide if it's worth risking the friendship to possibly gain more.

Solivagant said:
ardour said:
People seem eager to jump to the conclusion that a guy must have faked friendship so he could hit on her, as if friendship and attraction must start out mutually exclusive.

Some will say the same occurs when women ask male friend out...just no. Most of us wouldn't assume the worst and hate them for that.

So yeah, thanks, smug middle-class feminists for painting every man with a crush on a friend with the Nice Guy stereotype.

Wow, talk about painting with stereotypes.

Thank-you for quoting this retaining the evidence.

Ardour you have been warned and banned for remarks like this before and your edit isn't much better. Also this thread has outlived it's usefulness since some seem to come here and just argue or make offensive remarks towards genders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back