How do you feel now compared to when you joined?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Restless soul said:
Somnambulist said:
Restless soul said:
Ok. Well that is for pm. If you want to explain there

No need.

Read this article if you have time. Do you think it relates to me?

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspectives/articles/very-superstitious

You're the best judge of that, but from some of the things you said (for ex. couple on the street saying hello to someone and then later breaking up), you might match the criteria.

I feel that here I can explore and share aspects of loneliness with others who experience it too.

In that sense I feel a little less lonely than before.

Being here has taught me many things.

When I first joined I was a bit depressed and my life was in the worst conditions I have experienced yet. I was lost in all senses.

That being said, being here doesn't work miracles. However, it did help me to understand other people more.. it also helped me to understand myself more.. it has taught me how to think about things objectively (although sometimes I still fail at it), it has taught me to have (realistic) goals, it has taught me there is always hope if you don't give up and keep trying, it has taught me that although few in percentage, there can be and there are people I get along well with, it has taught me to accept both my negative AND positive traits, and to actually do something when there is something wrong.

And probably many other things I forget, atm. I'll take this opportunity to thank all the people I've met here.. the good ones, but also the bad ones.. for both are needed in order to grow as a person.

Tuathaniel said:
I feel that bullies really do exist everywhere

+1

... and "cool" cliques do exist everywhere, which means that exclusion is also everywhere. That is the one thing, if anything, I have learned by being here. The "reputation" points system is a hearty joke :)

Tuathaniel said:
I feel that bullies really do exist everywhere, and I'll probably leave.

I don't think that there are that many here but that's just me.

I'm better off socially than when I joined. I only have one friend, a lady who's also a squeeze (..that isn't uncouth to say, is it?..) but that's one more friend than I had. My only functional social networks are artificial rather than spontaneous: A beekeepers club; I teach beginning beekeeping at a community college; a twice monthly group lunch with a caregivers support group and the Master Gardeners volunteer group.

Oh gosh. That sounds so pathetic. But I didn't have any of those things except the MG's when I joined ALL. And there's the ALL community too.....

Well if that's the hand of cards I have to play, then I guess I'll play it like it lays.

constant stranger said:
I only have one friend, a lady who's also a squeeze (..that isn't uncouth to say, is it?..) but that's one more friend than I had. 

A beekeepers club; I teach beginning beekeeping at a community college;

Pardon my ignorance about this, but what does it mean to call someone a "squeeze" ?

Beekeeping sounds cool ! You ever get stung ?

Socially, I feel fine. I have taught myself to go out to the enjoy the services available to me, without the expectation of meeting people when I do go out to functions. And that in itself is a huge weight lifted. I

BeyondShy said:
If I answered this question honestly then I would get yelled at.

Then, I INSIST that you answer the question honestly ! Because I want to hear what you have to say.

@ Somnabulist: A "squeeze" is a possibly outdated term for a romantic involvement.

Every beekeeper gets stung. How often? Depends on how aggressive a colony is; depends on what time of year the beekeeper tends his hives.....they're really protective in later summer when they have a lot of honey to guard; depends on what the beekeeper is doing....opening up the brood chamber to apply medications arouses their fury, in HUGE numbers; depends on the weather...they're grumpy when it's rainy; depends on if the beekeeper smells strong....yeah, that's right...honeybees are sensitive to odors, walk up to the hive wearing cologne, smelling like gasoline, been a long hot day and you got a little BO......the bees respond with aggression; depends on how much protective clothing the beekeeper wears....just a veil? A veil and gloves? A protective jacket with attached hood and veil? A whole body suit? Or just short pants and a T-shirt? Is the beekeeper angry about something? Worried? Overly scared of the bees? They can sense all of that. Yeah, that's right. And they're more aggressive the less calm the beekeeper is. Depends on if the beekeeper is using his smoker....or her smoker....smoked bees are a lot less aggressive.

I love beekeeping. I will take every opportunity to encourage everyone to consider taking up the craft. Go online and look, there's a ton of information. Search beekeeping youtube videos...it's hard to not get hooked. The world needs its honeybees to pollinate plants and the honeybees need dedicated beekeepers to counteract the effects of habitat loss and colony collapse.

Ummmm......OK, I'm done. A bit off topic for ALL. I love honeybees. I've got 7 hives and harvested 120 lbs of honey this Sept.

constant stranger said:
@ Somnabulist:  A "squeeze" is a possibly outdated term for a romantic involvement.

Every beekeeper gets stung.  How often?  Depends on how aggressive a colony is; depends on what time of year the beekeeper tends his hives.....they're really protective in later summer when they have a lot of honey to guard; depends on what the beekeeper is doing....opening up the brood chamber to apply medications arouses their fury, in HUGE numbers; depends on the weather...they're grumpy when it's rainy; depends on if the beekeeper smells strong....yeah, that's right...honeybees are sensitive to odors, walk up to the hive wearing cologne, smelling like gasoline, been a long hot day and you got a little BO......the bees respond with aggression; depends on how much protective clothing the beekeeper wears....just a veil?  A veil and gloves?  A protective jacket with attached hood and veil?  A whole body suit?  Or just short pants and a T-shirt?  Is the beekeeper angry about something?  Worried?  Overly scared of the bees?  They can sense all of that.  Yeah, that's right.  And they're more aggressive the less calm the beekeeper is.  Depends on if the beekeeper is using his smoker....or her smoker....smoked bees are a lot less aggressive.

I love beekeeping.  I will take every opportunity to encourage everyone to consider taking up the craft.  Go online and look, there's a ton of information.  Search beekeeping youtube videos...it's hard to not get hooked.  The world needs its honeybees to pollinate plants and the honeybees need dedicated beekeepers to counteract the effects of habitat loss and colony collapse.

Ummmm......OK, I'm done.  A bit off topic for ALL.  I love honeybees.  I've got 7 hives and harvested 120 lbs of honey this Sept.

That is fascinating ! Thanks for sharing !

I'm too scared of stings to go anywhere near bees, but the process does sound interesting.

I'm significantly less hateful towards myself now that I have acknowledged how pathological this behavior can be. Loneliness is not a badge of honor and you constantly have to be on top of your game to not turn into a self-righteous prick or a neurotic victim.

Somnambulist said:
... and "cool" cliques do exist everywhere, which means that exclusion is also everywhere. That is the one thing, if anything, I have learned by being here. The "reputation" points system is a hearty joke :)

The reputations aren't even really a factor anymore.  You can't give reps for individual posts anymore because it's abused. And where the hell are these "cool" cliques people keep talking about?  There are groups of people who have been here for a while that have become friends, but I would hardly call them cliques since they tend to include other people (new people) in their circle if their interests match their own.  That's generally how circles of friends form....

Paraiyar said:
Tuathaniel said:
I feel that bullies really do exist everywhere, and I'll probably leave.

I don't think that there are that many here but that's just me.

I agree, there aren't that many here and those that are get shut down....if they actually are a bully and not just disagreeing with a person.

TheRealCallie said:
The reputations aren't even really a factor anymore.  You can't give reps for individual posts anymore because it's abused.

Why is this, though? I don't really see the problem in giving a rep for a good post...

Latest posts

Back